Budget friendly salon trim in NYC?

queenscurlyqueenscurly Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi Ladies. First of all thank you :occasion5:. I've been lurking here forever, and the advice you share on this site not only gave me the courage to big chop in the first place(June 2010), but also the guidance to style my hair (daily WNG).

I haven't visited a salon since my chop and badly need a shape up, but the cost of the surprisingly few salons in NYC that do cuts for natural Afro-typed 4a hair and are also decently reviewed is prohibitive to the average working person in this economy. I've read so many horror stories about cutting of a year or more worth of growth instead of the trim requested, to the stylist having an attitude about doing natural hair, to being treated like a freak, to being constantly harassed to chemically straighten the hair in some form.

When I had a relaxer I could get my hair trimmed for $5-10 over the cost of whatever service I went in for. I realize that trimming afro hair takes more effort, but the only salons I ever see mentioned range from the mid- $100 to $300 for more or less basic service. For real...20 times the price?

Have any of you personally visited a salon in NYC for a basic wash and trim (preferably without blowing it out first) for under $75? I'm hoping someone has suggestions!

(FWIW, my hair is similar to Wanda Sykes', about 2 inches of curls longer.)

Comments

• manemanmaneman Registered Users Posts: 136
    I would highly recommend Afrigenix on 79th Street in Manhattan (right off the 1 train). They are a natural-focused salon but do everything I think. I've been there a few times for trims and cuts and the stylists are respectful of my wishes AND it's a very relaxed (and small) environment. And, I find the prices to be reasonable too. I've gotten a wash and cut for definitely under $100 before. Check them out at Afrigenix • Healthy Hair is Beautiful Hair.
    Check out my blog: http://manemanblog.com.
    If you're a curly guy and would like to be featured then check out the Contact page and hit me up!

Favorite products:
    Shampoo: KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling: Donna Marie Dream Curling Cream, EcoStyler Gel (pink)
  • queenscurlyqueenscurly Registered Users Posts: 4
    Thank you! Is there any stylist in particular that you like there?
  • manemanmaneman Registered Users Posts: 136
    I have met with two different stylists. One was named Lisa who is super friendly and I cant remember the other woman's name. She seemed young but was very nice and gave me an awesome cut. HTH Let me know if you check it out. I've been several times and have always had a great experience.
    If you're a curly guy and would like to be featured then check out the Contact page and hit me up!

Favorite products:
  • BellaAmoreBellaAmore Registered Users Posts: 253
    maneman wrote: »
    I have met with two different stylists. One was named Lisa who is super friendly and I cant remember the other woman's name. She seemed young but was very nice and gave me an awesome cut. HTH Let me know if you check it out. I've been several times and have always had a great experience.

I will definately keep that in mind. I'm in Staten Island, and although I am not due for a trim, I was wondering where natural hair salons were around here that did more than just braid hair.
    :wav::wav:
  • queenscurlyqueenscurly Registered Users Posts: 4
    Any other recommendations for NYC? Who would have thought pickings were so slime here?
  • naturalyogininaturalyogini Registered Users Posts: 430
    Any other recommendations for NYC? Who would have thought pickings were so slime here?
    Last year Hair Rules did a 12 days of xmas with huge discounts. They may have the same thing this year since the economy is still bad.

Favorite products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file