Anyone jumping on the grease bandwagon

CurlyteeCurlytee Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
After seeing the curly Nikki post and watching Youtube videos, I was just wondering if any one was jumping on the bandwagon.

Yes I gonna give petroleum a try for the winter. Being armed with the information of petroleum and silicones and is the important factor for me. I now am informed of their role and what I must used to clean my hair and protect my hair if I choose to use either. what about you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• CurlyteeCurlytee Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    yes, here i go (smile)

Again, as I wrote, after reading Curly Nikki's post and watching some Youtube videos I decided to give petroleum a try. First, let me state winter here in NYC is ruff. retaining moisture is difficult. So this is what I did after washing and applying leave in. I applied a little of me oil mixture then sealed with a little petroleum down the hair shaft then a little extra on the ends.. This is very similar to Chiciro's Method.

I'm almost willing to do anything to combat winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    I think you misunderstood my words

Here you going , meaning I linked the current open thread about grease for you.
  • CurlyteeCurlytee Registered Users Posts: 273 Curl Neophyte
    I did misunderstand. thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Registered Users Posts: 301
    That thread is bangin..... I learned the hard way that my hair almost NEEDS silicones for sure. It's the only way I can detangle, and I have some fabulous silicone free conditioners that are superb. But to DETANGLE, it aint happenin with ease unless I have silicone in my condish. At least for now.

Grease-- yes but I learned the hard way that I can NOT BE HEAVY HANDED. lol. I'm liking combining grease with my other natural oils/pomades/butters and with Ecostyler.
  • empressriempressri Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    I'm scurred. I hated how it felt on my hair then will I hate it now??
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • snappynappysnappynappy Registered Users Posts: 1,262
    No. I dont follow bandwagons. I left grease alone for a reason.
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    Are you talking about petroleum...that is in Vaseline that I put on my
    Lips?
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    Ive always switched from CG to modified curly girl in the winter. While I don't (and most likely won't) use straight up grease, I do use cones and mineral oil containing products in the winter. My hair needs the "coating" that the silicones and mineral oil give it in the winter to survive. However, once the temp hits 50 consistently, I leave the cones and mineral oil behind and return to my CG routine.

I just hope that everyone jumping on this "bandwagon" knows what they are getting into. If tour hair is not properly moisturized under that grease, you will end up with dry hair.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    I don't consider grease to be a "bandwagon". No grease is the true bandwagon, imo, and some folks are jumpin' off because they're finding their hair isn't holding moisture/softness.

Old school naturals have always used it. I pull it out for the winter, because it works. I don't put it on my scalp, but I'll definitely use it on the last couple of inches of my hair.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Registered Users Posts: 301
    After seeing some ole skool naturals with some BANGIN HAIR, who know what they are doing and know how to use it, I'm down. I don't mean just SLATHERING it on either.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    I don't consider grease to be a "bandwagon". No grease is the true bandwagon, imo, and some folks are jumpin' off because they're finding their hair isn't holding moisture/softness.

Old school naturals have always used it. I pull it out for the winter, because it works. I don't put it on my scalp, but I'll definitely use it on the last couple of inches of my hair.

NEA is that you? Did you change your screen name on me?

12459237.png
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982

Yep...it's me. Everyone here who knows me before I changed up my screen name still uses "NEA", which is fine.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture

Yep...it's me. Everyone here who knows me before I changed up my screen name still uses "NEA", which is fine.

Ok just making sure. I knew the writing style was you but the name was throwing me.

12459237.png
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Registered Users Posts: 216
    my dandruff is too bad for me to even think about it...the way I look at it, if it's not broke, down fix it...My hair's been growing great since I ditch the grease and I don't want to mess it up.

Plus as others have said...way too many bad childhood memories w/ grease.
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BrinstarrBrinstarr Registered Users Posts: 90
    Grease has been forever awful to me-- plus, IMO-- it's freaking gross. Makes my hair and scalp feel slimy. I'd rather have the light oils or maybe some 'cones for the cold.

I think I'm gonna revisit my TIGI Curls Rock stock for the winter.
  • lisa6lisa6 Registered Users Posts: 543 Curl Novice
    I remember using TCB then moving on to African Pride, All Ways, and ORS...never used the heavier stuff. I'm not currently using grease, but I'm not opposed to it. It's just that I mainly wear wngs and buns, and I'm always trying different moisturizers. I hardly seal, but I'm more apt to seal with anything non-liquid, so I tried SM Souffle (I think of it as an oil in gel form) but haven't done it enough to make an assessment. All this talk about grease had me eyeing that African Pride at Kroger :tongue5:. On my hair, I would only expect grease to lengthen the days in-between moisturizing by like a day or two...three tops.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list