Amla Hair Growth Challenge

msamuelsmsamuels Registered Users Posts: 113
Have anyone heard of an Amla hair growth challenge? I'm curious about trying this as a means to keep my strands stronger (i'm a fine haired curly) along with encourage growth. Just curious if anyone has tried this with the amla powder and/or oil, and how did you do it. I'm just curious if it works?!
Michelle. 4a/4b,3c
"I am more than the limits of my body...because Christ is my soul. The soul outlives the body and certainly is more powerful and impactful."

Comments

• sweetmx85sweetmx85 Registered Users Posts: 1,017 Curl Neophyte
    i never thought of my hair being fine but i guess it is since when I do twist all you see is scalp.

i just tried amla powder for the first time a couple days ago and I have a lot left, so im gonna be trying this out, im wanting to get amla oil also, im just not sure where i will get it yet. so were in the same boat i guess :) hopefully someone who has tried this will chime in! ive been doing searches on here and google if i find anything worth while ill let you know
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • msamuelsmsamuels Registered Users Posts: 113
    You can order organic amla oil (infused in sesame oil) from hennasooq.com. Or you can purchase it at your local indian store, but look for the one without mineral oil. I live in Toronto so I can get henna sooq's Amla oil from HoneyFig.

Yes I guess we will have to try this challenge together then. Do you use it as a treatment or to wash your hair?
    Michelle. 4a/4b,3c
    "I am more than the limits of my body...because Christ is my soul. The soul outlives the body and certainly is more powerful and impactful."
    Oh ok thanks for that info! I used it as a treatment but I think I'm gonna try it a little different next time maybe put conditioner in it and do it like a henna glaze I think it'scalled just not w henna

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Blog:www.curlygirlie85.blogspot.com
    YouTube: www.youtube.com/sophiams85
    my blog
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Registered Users Posts: 463
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    msamuels wrote: »
    You can order organic amla oil (infused in sesame oil) from hennasooq.com. Or you can purchase it at your local indian store, but look for the one without mineral oil. I live in Toronto so I can get henna sooq's Amla oil from HoneyFig.

Yes I guess we will have to try this challenge together then. Do you use it as a treatment or to wash your hair?
    you could prob make your own easily
    i think fleurtzy (not sure about spelling) used to do weekly amla treatments. do a search here and yt.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hippychic wrote: »

i think fleurtzy (not sure about spelling) used to do weekly amla treatments. do a search here and yt.

Yup, the first thread I posted above was fleurtzy's. I did amla treatments religiously for about a year, and thinking back, my hair flourished.

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
    NoodleNaps wrote: »

Yup, the first thread I posted above was fleurtzy's. I did amla treatments religiously for about a year, and thinking back, my hair flourished.

how did you do yours?
    my blog

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Registered Users Posts: 1,160
    My hair loooves amla. I ordered some different powders along with amla from AyurNatural Beauty and once I ran out of amla to add to the herb mixes my hair noticed the difference. I really need to order more and start back with it.

I used an amla/brahmi with a 3rd powder mixed to a paste as my weekly DC. I only had a month's supply so I didn't really get a chance to see if it was making a tremendous difference in growth but I could tell the my hair retained moisture much better which mean for me I didn't have to use a lot of product since I tend to be heavy handed sometimes.

How is everyone else using it? As a paste or just adding to other products?
    sweetmx85 wrote: »

how did you do yours?

I tried a variety of mixtures of amla with different liquids and herbs, but towards the end, my favourite was... (consults hair journal)... 50g each of amla and rhassoul, 25g each of maka and brahmi, a heaped tablespoon of marshmallow root powder, mixed with warm coconut milk into a thick paste and finished with a dollop of honey.

Most people like to keep things simple... I am not one of those people. And it worked for me- soft hair for days.

I actually have all the ingredients so may start again this weekend.

Oh, I forgot to add I always DC'd afterwards. I would apply the mask to dry dirty hair, rinse, cowash, DC.

The masks helped with strength, moisture retention, reduced my shedding a little, helped give me more defined 'ringlets', darkened my hair and made it much more shiny, and when I think back, I didn't have the protein-deficiency issues I've had since I stopped doing them.

I got all my recipe ideas from those threads.

• JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Registered Users Posts: 1,160
    Oh, I forgot to add I always DC'd afterwards. I would apply the mask to dry dirty hair, rinse, cowash, DC.

The masks helped with strength, moisture retention, reduced my shedding a little, helped give me more defined 'ringlets', darkened my hair and made it much more shiny, and when I think back, I didn't have the protein-deficiency issues I've had since I stopped doing them.

I've always wondered if you have to do a DC after an ayurverdic treatment and the reason for it (if it's an absolute). I did most of the time. I know with henna you have to.

Also Noodle where did yo get you marshmallow root from?
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte

how did you do yours?

I tried a variety of mixtures of amla with different liquids and herbs, but towards the end, my favourite was... (consults hair journal)... 50g each of amla and rhassoul, 25g each of maka and brahmi, a heaped tablespoon of marshmallow root powder, mixed with warm coconut milk into a thick paste and finished with a dollop of honey.

Most people like to keep things simple... I am not one of those people. And it worked for me- soft hair for days.

Oooh, I also have all the ingredients, except marshmallow root. I may substitute in fenugreek powder and do this treatment this weekend!
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte
    I made amla oils and my hair love them. I used them as a prepoo/scalp treatment before shampooing or cowashing.

I guess I stopped doing it because it seemed like a lot of work, but its quite simple...
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • msamuelsmsamuels Registered Users Posts: 113

Really?! That's great! I think I will try it once a month. I was tryin it for a brief moment but that was every week combined with brahmi. My hair started to feel very coarse so I stoped. But I think I'm going to try it for a time especially to exfoliate the scalp. I heard it's absorbs into the strands of the hair to fortify it. I have fine stands. If this is true this would be a good pay off.
    Michelle. 4a/4b,3c

I've always wondered if you have to do a DC after an ayurverdic treatment and the reason for it (if it's an absolute). I did most of the time. I know with henna you have to.

Also Noodle where did yo get you marshmallow root from?

For me, DC-ing is always absolutely necessary as I have very wiry hair that can be prone to dryness. It might be different for others, however.

I live in London so get all my powders, including marshmallow root, from here. I can't remember where I got it from (bought a HUGE bag years ago), but will have a look when I get home in case any London curlies are interested

i used to use amla a lot in my first year as a loose natural. it's so hard to rinse out. that's why i stopped using it. i have a boatload of it tho'. :confused4:

i don't remember it doing anything spectacular for me.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte
    i used to use amla a lot in my first year as a loose natural. it's so hard to rinse out. that's why i stopped using it. i have a boatload of it tho'. :confused4:

That's why I make oils out of it. I cant stand trying to rinse it out.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg

i might try this! thanks lady :headbang:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i might try this! thanks lady :headbang:

Yeah, washing it out is a beeyotch, (though not quite as bad as henna). That's why I do the mask before cowashing or shampooing.

• gennataygennatay Registered Users Posts: 7
    I do a shampoo before I do any of my Ayuverdic treatments. To me, the powders penetrate better. I usually mix my Amla with either Rhassoul Clay or Bhringraj and Brahmi Powders.

I usually mix with water only, but I find that if I use a creamy base, it washes out better.
    Second Big Chop: May 2011
    Goal: APL

Current Products

Cleanse: CD Rosemary Mint Shampoo
    Deep Condition: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle or CD Hair Elixir
    Co-Wash: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner
    Leave in: KK Knot Today
    Wash N Go: KK Curling Custard
    Twist: CD Hair Milk
    Seal: Coconut Oil or CD Hair Balm
    Ayuverdic Treatments
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur

I felt the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

how did you do yours?

Oooh, I also have all the ingredients, except marshmallow root. I may substitute in fenugreek powder and do this treatment this weekend!

Hi Jo, did you try this out, and how did it work for you?

• Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte

Hi Jo, did you try this out, and how did it work for you?

Not quite! I had a sudden urge to do my hair at 5am, but I think I read on here that fenugreek is very difficult to wash out if left to get dry on the hair. Also, I didn't want to be warming up some coconut milk and waking up my flatmates. Just did a amla (3 heaped tbs), brahmi (2 level tbs) and maka (2 level) paste with 2 capsules of saw palmetto and pygeum bark, a dollup of honey, about a tbs of avocado oil and the rest of my MyHoneyChild Honey Hair Mask. It's still on my head and it's approaching 11am now. Was going to go without sleep to reset my bodyclock, but I'm now tired! :sad7:

I'll do the whole rhassul, coconut milk and fenugreek shebang some other time (next weekend is henna weekend). :glasses8:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file