when transitioning will 4bs have a curl pattern?

naturaldollnaturaldoll Registered Users Posts: 569 Curl Novice
I'm 8 months post and my new growth is very curly. It reminds me of 3c/4a hair, but I know my ends could be weighing my hair down. I'm wondering if someone with 4b hair will seel/feel a s curl pattern as oposed to zigzags? Right now my newgrowth has a s pattern.
Last Relaxer: February 14, 2011
BC: March 17, 2012
Porosity: Low to Normal
Curl Type: 4a/3c
Texture: Coarse
Density: Thick
Length:shoulder
24661416.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
:love4::afro:

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    I'm confused by your post. If you say your hair reminds you of 3c/4a why are you asking about 4b?
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I'm 8 months post and my new growth is very curly. It reminds me of 3c/4a hair, but I know my ends could be weighing my hair down. I'm wondering if someone with 4b hair will seel/feel a s curl pattern as oposed to zigzags? Right now my newgrowth has a s pattern.

I don't have any 4b so I'm not completely sure. But a lot of people say you can't tell what your hair curl pattern is until you cut all your hair off. I cut my hair off three months after my last relaxer so I'm not an expert on transitioning. I will say as my natural hair grows longer, much of it is getting looser so our hair can still continue to change over time.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • naturaldollnaturaldoll Registered Users Posts: 569 Curl Novice
    coilynapp wrote: »
    I'm confused by your post. If you say your hair reminds you of 3c/4a why are you asking about 4b?

I'm still trying to figure out my type, and befor I decide I'm definately not a 4b I would like my queston answered. Is it possible to have what seems to be a 3c/4a type curl pattern and find out you're really a 4b after the big chop?
    24661416.png
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Registered Users Posts: 2,320 Curl Neophyte
    I thought the z pattern thing was disproven? Has anyone spotted a z pattern on a natural yet?

Will your hair being 4b affect whether or not you go natural? I don't understand why it matters.

on my EVO. I'm fancy.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • MsladiiMsladii Registered Users Posts: 442
    I didn't have any curl pattern at all while transitioning. It all was just a bi stretched fro. I don't see why you would go to a kinkier texture as opposed to a looser one upon big chopping.

There really will be no way to know until you cut all your hair though and as it grows out you will notice changes as well, just like others have mentioned.

I don't think its wrong of you to ask, seems like your just curious. If it does effect your decision so be it. My friend bc'd and was a 4b, didn't think the texture suited her and flat irons all the time. You'd think she still had a relaxer but she just wanted to be chemical free. The 'natural' look isn't for everyone and if you don't want that texture, thats your decision and no one can judge you for that.
    PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL IT WILL BE ABOUT NATURAL HAIR CARE / STYLES / TUTORIALS AND COSMETICS I WOULD LOVE FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT
    http://www.youtube.com/user/simplycliche

"Shrinkage is only your hair trying to get closer to you...embrace it."
    O, medium/course, spongy, mass of beautiful curly hair

event.png

pswd rawks
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Trying to figure a hair type out during transitioning can be a little deceiving. I would say that about half new growth was wavy, not large waves, but small ones, and the other was undefined, more like a fro. After I BC'd and got my moisture level decent, I noticed that all of my hair had some kind of coil to it. The coils don't naturally clump in a lot of places, but it's not like the fro I expected it to be.

I don't have a complete understanding on hair typing because people have a lot of varying opinions. All I know is that I have coils ranging from the size of straws to the size of coffee stirrers. I guess that makes me type 4 & more specifically 4a but I know there are people that would argue with me. I don't trouble myself with it. :)
  • naturaldollnaturaldoll Registered Users Posts: 569 Curl Novice
    I thought the z pattern thing was disproven? Has anyone spotted a z pattern on a natural yet?

Will your hair being 4b affect whether or not you go natural? I don't understand why it matters.

on my EVO. I'm fancy.

No it won't. I'm just curious, and being that this board is a big place, trying to figure out what boards to pay attention to. And what to search on YT.
    24661416.png
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    When I first started transitioning, I really wanted to know my hair type b/c I thought it was important - and whatever type I was told when I showed this picture of my wet roots (that I want to smack myself for ever showing anyone now, but hey, I didn't know any better) is actually the type(s) people still suggest I am today pretty much. However, I've long stopped caring about hair type and no longer label my hair that way. Using products that were "for" my hair type help sometimes, and sometimes they do not - I've learned that choosing things based on my properties (density, porosity, texture) work way better for me.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    coilynapp wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out my type, and befor I decide I'm definately not a 4b I would like my queston answered. Is it possible to have what seems to be a 3c/4a type curl pattern and find out you're really a 4b after the big chop?
    well, just wait and see I guess. No way to know now.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Registered Users Posts: 1,194
    No matter how long you transition you will never get an idea of your curl pattern until you cut off your relaxed ends. I think some of the newly naturals and long transitioners try to "cheat" by growing their hair out to try to see if they have that "good" natural hair before they BC. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell and while I am not saying that it's you, I'm saying that it happens.

I went natural the same time as a friend in college, and while she transtitioned I BC'ed. She claimed to have 3c hair even into a year and a half of trasitioning but when she BC'ed she had the cutest 4b/c fro I had ever seen.

You could never know your natural hair truly until you BC and until then it's a bad guessing game. And even after you BC your pattern changes as your hair grows as many posters already said. But curl pattern does not determine your hair regimen so even that is a moot point.

Enjoy your transitioning but don't worry about the pattern as it has no real bearing on your regimen as a full natural. HTH.
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    You won't know for sure until you BC.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • Kinky DayShaKinky DaySha Registered Users Posts: 528
    I would focus right now on learning how to moisturize your hair and take care of it. Cause the hair pattern won't really matter if you can't take care of it and it's all damaged. Learn about porosity and texture now. Care about the line of demarcation, split ends and knots. Hair that is uncared for will look a HAM, whether it's 3c or 4c.
    Last perm 8/07, big chop 5/08, several mini chops since
    Fine, medium density, low porosity. PJ in recovery:angel12:
    Current loves:Tressemme Nats, AO GPB, One and Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask, Alba Botanicals Leave-in, KCKT, Qhemet BRBC & OHHB, Terresentials Mud Wash, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Registered Users Posts: 448
    Yes, it is possible to see one hair type while transitioning and another one (usually tighter) when you big chop. It could be the permed hair weighing the pattern down. You won't really know until after the big chop. Hair typing is not important when it comes to caring for your hair, so it really doesn't matter :)
  • _Michael11_Michael11 Registered Users Posts: 90
    your relaxed ends could possibly be weighing the hair down. some naturals thought they had this loose wavy hair and got tricked once they did the BC. i wouldnt hold my breath. try to embrace whatever the pattern comes out to be.
    goal hair length- waist length
    I LOVE HAIR!!!
    **My Big Hair Don't Journey--"Please check me out" :nike:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kingsmith1991?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/CQ-J0dmftw8

comic-p.jpg
  • KeybooKeyboo Registered Users Posts: 33
    I have the z hair lol. i like pulling on it (even tho its.causing breakage). Im 5 months trans at this time

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
  • _Michael11_Michael11 Registered Users Posts: 90
    you should post a picture!
    goal hair length- waist length
    I LOVE HAIR!!!
    **My Big Hair Don't Journey--"Please check me out" :nike:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kingsmith1991?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/CQ-J0dmftw8

comic-p.jpg
  • naturalnewbnaturalnewb Registered Users Posts: 193
    As many have noted, the relaxed hair weighs your natural hair down so the hair pattern you see at 8 months is not representative of the curl pattern you will have after you BC.

I transitioned for a year and a half. At month 8 I didn't see any curls--I just saw waves. I think I had a fairly clear view of the pencil-sized coils in the front of my head when I had around 7 inches natural + 4-5 inches relaxed (if you aren't transitioning with heat, I'd say that might be around month 14-15). My smaller coils still appeared as small waves until after my BC.

My guess would be that people who transition for 2+ years will have a pretty good idea of what their natural hair looks like. Unless you plan to transition for that length of time, I would say that anticipating your natural hair's curl pattern is a fruitless effort.

event.png

event.png
  • DewMakerDewMaker Registered Users Posts: 156
    Also, even if your hair does curl, the density of your hair can change the overall appearance. My hair curls a lot if I do a wash and go. But because my hair is so dense, if I tie it back it looks like there are no curls in my hair. Just embrace it!
  • Ogo'mOgo'm Registered Users Posts: 242
    For the first six months of my transition (BCed at 10 months post relaxer), I didn't even know I was 'transitioning" or that it was called 'going natural'; did not know about the blogs, forums, hair typing, products, etc. I just wanted to stop going to salons and depending on stylists. I thought 'good hair' was a title to a documentary I never watched. I was directed to the sources on the internet by a friend that started her journey a few months after I did.

I am so glad. I had no hang ups about what my hair would or would not be like, or what it could or could not do. However it was, I was going to work with it. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss.
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    Ogo'm wrote: »
    For the first six months of my transition (BCed at 10 months post relaxer), I didn't even know I was 'transitioning" or that it was called 'going natural'; did not know about the blogs, forums, hair typing, products, etc. I just wanted to stop going to salons and depending on stylists. I thought 'good hair' was a title to a documentary I never watched. I was directed to the sources on the internet by a friend that started her journey a few months after I did.

I am so glad. I had no hang ups about what my hair would or would not be like, or what it could or could not do. However it was, I was going to work with it. Sometimes, ignorance really is bliss.
    i didn't know i was transitioning either. back then there were no blogs, youtube, whatevs. i just knew i didn't want a perm anymore. i thought natural was an afro or locs only.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • manemanmaneman Registered Users Posts: 136
    I definitely have some z strands in my hair too!
    Check out my blog: http://manemanblog.com.
    If you're a curly guy and would like to be featured then check out the Contact page and hit me up!

Favorite products:
    Shampoo: KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling: Donna Marie Dream Curling Cream, EcoStyler Gel (pink)
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte
    hippychic wrote: »
    Ogo'm wrote: »

i didn't know i was transitioning either. back then there were no blogs, youtube, whatevs. i just knew i didn't want a perm anymore. i thought natural was an afro or locs only.

God, me too!
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file