CurlTalk

Fall/winter routine changes

wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
So, with the weather getting colder and all, I thought it might be fun and helpful to others to tell everyone how you've changed your routine to get into the winter spirit. :) Last year I used lots more layers instead of using just one product (gel) like I did lots of the summer. I was just getting into the swing of Mod-CG, though -- I'm not sure how that's gonna work for me now, but I am thinking of layering some gels today (I'm thinking La Bella Lots of Curls under Aussie Instant Freeze or something like that). My hair hasn't totally freaked out on me yet, so I've just been sticking with a sort of one-gel thing still. I've never really had a problem with humectants in the wintertime, even though they can be disastrous for some people.

So, how did you change your routine in anticipation of cold weather? :)
Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Comments

• brilliantkinkydivabrilliantkinkydiva Posts: 30Registered Users
    I am doing more protective styles, washing less, and using more oils and butters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    I'm curious about this too! :) I'll be keeping up with this thread lol. As far as I can tell, my hair just does NOT like having multiple products - although I kind of wonder if that's because of my shea butter issue, since almost all curl creams have shea butter, rather than a multiproduct issue. But who knows! I've been getting away with rich conditioner, GFPC, and a little argan oil.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Gassing up the hacksaw.

Ok, seriously, my hair is misbehaving horribly! The last month or two I have been having terrible tangles at the nape...I have never consistently had so many big huge massive knots. I don't get it. I used the same products in summer without as much trouble, and last winter I struggled, but still didn't have these tangle troubles.

Just about everything I am am using is leaving me dry and frizzy or too weighed down and flat. I am trying to use glycerin free products, and that helps some, but not much, so I almost wonder if I shouldn't go back to mixing straight conditioner with the glycerin based products.

I think I need a cut, and reshaping, I think maybe I need some solid 1 hour DT and PT time, not the 5-10 minute ones I have been doing lately. And with heat. I might do a styler free wash to give my hair a break too, might even do a straight break.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

See the frizz?

6293597809_06ed644a53.jpg

6294122564_651a31ca06.jpg

Sorry about the tongue. I was appalled to find out that my husband can see every pic I take with his iphone on the ipad in Photostream. (I have his phone while he is in the states and he has mine...his original...it is unlocked and takes the standard at&t prepaid sim chip he uses there) So I took these pics to have him see.

It turns out I can turn off Photostream, but I don't wanna mess with his settings and delete shtuff by accident.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Doh! The low poo sample I had has glycerin in it, though as a rinse out product, OUGHT to be ok still.

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users
    Plunky, I love your frizz. It says "this hair is naturally swhirly!!!"

I'm contemplating trying second-day hair to avoid the wetting/drying. I'm going to line the family's hats with silky material to prevent friction on hair and skin and style-wrecking mushing (hats keep hair moisturized)! I walk the dog and go outside daily, so that's about 3-4 months of hats preventing hair dehydration. I use all the same products I use in summer, really. I just don't get the same boost of curl from the humidity in the air. Sometimes I use a little oil and plenty of protein (mostly in FSG). pre-pooing with oil can be a winner. But summer is just as hard on my hair because it gets hot in the sun, under my hat etc. and that zaps moisture too, then there's the UV damage because I don't always wear a hat.

In winter I can pull off a pin curl here and there - in summer those wilt with the humidity.
    I use a humidifier in the house (in addition to drying laundry on racks). That helps.

My winter favorites are FSG with all the stuff I add (protein, thickener, aloe etc.), KMFUM + a bit of stronger hold gel. Or plain FSG + a bit of strong hold gel. Occasionally AVG - the kind made for skin that it quite thick and moisturizing.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users
    I back off the glycerin quite a bit, although I think my low poo has glycerin and was fine last winter. Glycerin in stylers is the problem. I can mix the DM Curling Gelly w/ SS CEJ and that seems to negate the glycerin somehow!

Otherwise I do more PTs+DTs and that's mostly because I have more time. I use leave-in more often and I switch from hard hold gels to softer hold; I really love CJ CQ!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• greeneyes2greeneyes2 Posts: 161Registered Users
    Oh I am so excited to see this post. I am hoping that after a decent spring/summer/fall hairwise that maybe I will figure out my winter routine this year. Last winter was a total flop! Can't wait to check back & read others responses to this post. :)
    Trying CG method again after straightening the past 5 years. Hoping to get my curls back again! :)
    2B Color treated
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Awesome replies, ladies! Thanks for all the ideas! Keep 'em coming! :)

AR -- I find it funny that you switch to softer-holding products in the winter! ;) Does your hair not get less curly with the colder weather?

Steph -- have you tried the PC Cream? I am 99.99% sure it doesn't have shea butter. It's really light and would probably work great for layering! It does have beeswax in it, though, but I didn't find it greasy or anything.

Plunky -- I cannot comment on your frizz since I am completely jealous of your hair and always will be! HA! I think your hair looks great, and like IAgirl said, a total natural-looking curly!! :D I used to get terrible tangles at the nape of my neck, too. I know how frustrating it is! I think that's why I always used so much condish -- to get those suckers out! :) I think protein helped? But I really get tangles there no matter what when my hair's long. Sorry, I'm no help!

IAgirl -- what hard hold gel do you like using over KMFUM and FSG? I have been having styler problems lately, and my hair hasn't been looking too hot. I'm hoping to try EcoStyler soon!! But that's probably not what you meant by hard hold, ha ha!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
    It probably gets slightly less wavy in the colder months but I also don't have to worry as much about the pouf like I get in the summer! I'm not one of those wavies that get little ringlets around my face in the humidity, I just get bigger hair. ;)
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves

• CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    I back off the humectants for winter. No glycerin, aloe, etc. In winter I start using a leave in again. I also diffuse more in the winter because I don't want to leave the house with wet hair!
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users
    I always add curl cream in the winter and put away all humectants. Last week, feeling a little lazy, I decided to emulsify my curl cream and gel together in my hands before scrunching instead of adding curl cream, scrunch, scrunch, scrunch, adding gel, scrunch, scrunch, scrunch. Wow - what a difference! I had great clumps and boingy curls that held all day! It works much better for me than layering. Finally - being lazy is paying off - LOL!

The only thing is, Biotera Curl Creme doesn't play nice with many gels! They don't emulsify. The only gel I've found so far that emulsifies with it is Aussie Aussome Volume gel (and the last ingredient is a humectant so I'll see how long I can get away with it!). The other combo I like is Boots curl creme and EcoStyler Krystal (contains glycerin). Please let me know if anyone tries this and what products you use!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I've started cowashing again. I stop using my gel with glycerin (see you in the spring ecostyler). I pull out the coconut oil more often. I bought some apricot kernel oil for sealing. We'll have to see how that goes. I sit under my hooded dryer to dry my hair because it is too cold outside to air dry. I wear my hair straight or in roller, pin curl, etc. sets more often. I might as well, since it doesn't have the summer wavy bounce.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I'm not sure yet if I need to make any changes. I finally settled on a routine and products that work and I'm hoping they'll be multi-seasonal!!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbalancedbeauty.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Ah I just saw your question! Well I bought the PC Curl Cream and I've been considering trying it, but the beeswax scared me so I haven't gotten around to it yet. :) But you liked it? Is it actually curl-enhancing? What does it do? ... so many questions! haha

I've been considering just sucking it up and investing in some CJ products, even though they're a bit expensive, since I really want to try the smoothing lotion, CCCC-lite, and CIAB (it's supposed to be very shine-enhancing!) ... hmm. Maybe for Christmas. ;) haha
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
    Ah I just saw your question! Well I bought the PC Curl Cream and I've been considering trying it, but the beeswax scared me so I haven't gotten around to it yet. :) But you liked it? Is it actually curl-enhancing? What does it do? ... so many questions! haha

I've been considering just sucking it up and investing in some CJ products, even though they're a bit expensive, since I really want to try the smoothing lotion, CCCC-lite, and CIAB (it's supposed to be very shine-enhancing!) ... hmm. Maybe for Christmas. ;) haha

You could always get some sample from kathymack to try out before investing in the full sized bottles! She provides such a wonderful service for all us curlies and wavies!

You could always get some sample from kathymack to try out before investing in the full sized bottles! She provides such a wonderful service for all us curlies and wavies!

Very good point! But I don't even know how to go about doing that -- do I just PM her on here? And do you know how much she charges? :)
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

• curlybrancurlybran Posts: 510Registered Users
    What is pc cream?

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    curlybran wrote: »
    What is pc cream?

Probably Garnier Pure Clean (brand)
    shocking breakthrough!! ... my hair likes shea moisture now. hahaha. tried it yesterday, applied it differently, and now i have soft shiny whurlies.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users

Very good point! But I don't even know how to go about doing that -- do I just PM her on here? And do you know how much she charges? :)
    Click on the fotki in her siggi to see what she carries. When you know what you want, PM her and give her your address. She will tell you what you owe plus shipping (reasonable, my shipping was under 5$). You pay through paypal. She has great customer service too. One of my sample bottles rolled away from her under a table to hide. When I told her it was missing, she sent it to me no extra charge.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »

Click on the fotki in her siggi to see what she carries. When you know what you want, PM her and give her your address. She will tell you what you owe plus shipping (reasonable, my shipping was under 5$). You pay through paypal. She has great customer service too. One of my sample bottles rolled away from her under a table to hide. When I told her it was missing, she sent it to me no extra charge.

Thanks a bunch Pedaheh! I'll definitely be doing that soon. :)
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

^^Yup, that's how it's done! She has so many different samples it will be hard to choose! ;)

• curlybrancurlybran Posts: 510Registered Users
    Thank you! I don't ever really look at any hair stuff until the last couple of days and I saw it yesyerday and it clicked lol! My sister in law had been using the pure clean for about 2 months and it started making her hair fall out so be careful!
    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App[/QUOTE]
    Probably Garnier Pure Clean (brand)[/QUOTE]

• BigHairLalaBigHairLala Posts: 116Registered Users
    I also stay away from glycerin and all other humectants.
    I am actually loving my low dew point curls right now. I'm using Desert Essence Coconut low poo (once a week) with the Coconut conditioner, followed up by Desert Essence Shea Butter conditioner rinsed out. No leave in. But then KKCC, plop overnight and then take it down in the morning. Air dry. Great curls and clumps!!
    [FONT=&quot]Mod CG since January 2010[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2b/c – in winter; mostly 3a in summer; working toward 3a all year-round
    Fine - Dense - Fairly porous
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Cowash & Leave in: Co-wash with TJ’s Tea-Tree Tingle cond. , Suave Naturals, TJ Nourish[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Styling products in rotation: AG Re:coil, K-Y liquid; FSG, epsom salt & lavender curl-revitalizer;
    [/FONT]
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    Thanks for this thread! I am not going to need it right away, because the weather here is totally twisted (temp. up to 60 F and good dewpoints). For now I skip my Li and use a bit less styling products, because curls seem to get easily weight down. So maybe pre-winter issues rise already?
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • loremipsumloremipsum Posts: 160Registered Users
    Maybe it's a copout and sacrilegious of me...but I just let my hair go straight-ish in the winter. It's never fully straight, but it's basically straight with some bend at the ends, and I find it's too much trouble and work to get it to wave, and it's not necessarily even the best thing for my hair.

The whole reason I went CG in the first place was because I wanted to let my hair do what it wants to do and be healthy. Trying to force it to wave contradicts that goal. My hair is extra thirsty in the winter so I condition like mad. It makes my hair very soft and therefore it doesn't hold much of a wave, but that's ok with me. I'd rather have soft, straightish, hydrated, and healthy hair than dry hair that holds the wave. Maybe not everyone has to make this choice, but unfortunately I do. My hair is s'wavy-wavy--more of a body wave than the curly-clumpy waves many of you probably have, so I imagine that factors into things.

Interestingly, I went without product in my hair for a few days last week, and I got compliments and comments about it from 3 different people. If I get more compliments with less effort, it's a win-win, right?
    +1 to that, loremipsum.
    This isn't about being "more curly" or anything like that. Waves come in all shapes and sizes - "Body wave" is one of them and it's so full of movement and gorgeous. I know it seems that the boards can be so "more curly is better" oriented, but accepting your hair and caring well for it is kind of a microcosm of life in general. A very Zen-like post you wrote!
    Everybody has their own goals and personal tastes. Yours is not a cop-out or anything like that. Can't beat 3 compliments, either.
    I was just writing about autumn/winter hair on my blog because I wanted a little more "dirt" on the subject: science-y hair blog: Autumn to Winter Hair and Humidity
  • LahomajayneLahomajayne Posts: 127Registered Users
    So my winter routine consists of a few elements that seem to be working so far...and we have had some horribad weather in Colorado so far this year - 2 snowstorms in 2 weeks!

Deep Treatments - at least twice a week. How I am doing them:
    1) spritz hair with water till it feels really damp
    2) slather with a lot of DT - today I used Shea Moisture mask, I switch it up, sometimes its K-pak or silk elements.
    3) put shower cap on head
    4) leave it on for at least 20-30 minutes or more.

In the shower I let some of the warm water run over my head just to emulsify the DT in my hair a little more, massage for a few minutes and then apply shampoo to scalp with the treatment still in my hair.
    Today I used shea moisture moisture moisture retention shampoo. Scrub and massage head quite a bit, then rinse it well. After all that I use a rinse out condish, I know its evil and costs way too much, but I have found (after trying lots and lots of products) that I really do love Deva Curl One Condition...its slippery like crazy, and so very light...I have what you would call "cherub curls" they disappear with too much conditioner...and disperse if you don't use enough product. My hair will just be wavy poof if I don't treat it right...

After washing...while still very wet a little more one condition or KCKT which is my all time fav leave in.

As for products....winter in Colorado is not the time to be worrying about making your hair as curly as possible, its time to worry about avoiding the "straw head" and "crazy static electricity girl" looks. So while I know I can get 3A curls going in my mop...I am satisfied with some serious wavies as long as I don't look like the bride of Frankenstein. That being said ....

Shea moisture curl and styling milk or curl enhancing smoothie as a first layer, while hair is still really wet, scrunch through it thoroughly. These two are really good because they do not have humectants, just nice oils that lock moisture into your hair. Products don't actually "add moisture" unless they contain a lot of water...its the water from the shower that moisturizes! Just need to shut down the cuticle and seal it up a little bit!

Second layer - Either naturelle gel or Aubrey organics B5 design gel. These seem to be really nice for use in low dew points. They are NOT hard holding gels though. If anyone has a suggestion for a humectantless hard holding gel that works well in low dew points and wont make my hair take 10 hours to dry let me know!

product ingredient avoid list for colorado winter:
    Propylene glycol
    Glycerin
    Agave Nectar
    Sucrose
    Glucose
    Honey
    These all leave me with hair that feels like a bundle of hay!

Good list!
    Coconut oil
    Aloe gel
    Shea butter
    Most proteins
    hydroxypropyl methylcellulose
    so far polyquats seem ok in the winter...
    PEG cones (these seem to really help keep the hair from dehydrating quickly)
    sugar starch (seems ok, not sure how this is different from straight up sugar, but it has not had the same effect)
    Tragacanth gum and gum arabic
    Super wavy and wurly curly! Fiii,fairly non-porous, inelastic
    Colorado Curly - low dew points & low humidity!
    Organix Cherry Ginseng and DevaCurl low poo/condish
    KCKT leave in, Naturelle Gel
    Joimist or Aussie Sprunch Spray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have KLINGON HAIR :D

My hair likes IAgirls PT!
    I have celiac disease - no wheat please!
    My hair seems to be changing its mind so much lately! I just can't seem to use the ice queen method any more for the time being. It just gets strange.

It also seems to like multiple products now! Shea Moisture + GFPC = hair heaven. Soooo soft.

Now I just need argan oil and coconut oil and I'll be all set!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).