Depressed :(

NataliejNataliej Registered Users Posts: 26
So, I found out a couple days ago that I have Alopecia. I don't know exactly what type, but i have one bald spot about the size of a quarter at the back of me head, And i just found another one the size of a dime in the front. I'm going to the dermatologist next Friday to see what exactly I can do, but right now I just need any words of encouragement.
It would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Nataliej,
    I know what you're going through. I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata three years ago. I found one bald spot after washing my hair and over the months about 30 percent of my hair fell out. I had to start wearing wigs. I went through a lot of depression and people kept saying "it's only hair", "It's not like you have cancer". I had an aunt lose her hair to cancer. No you're not sick but it is a blow to my self-esteem. With AA there is not telling if your hair will grow back and if it does it could fall out again. It made me reluntant to date someone new because I didn't want to explain. For me it helped to talk to someone I found through a support group who didn't judge me for the way I felt. I also prayed about it and asked God to show me what I needed to learn from this. I planned to go back to relaxers but the derm told me no more chemicals. So I ended up chopping off the rest of my hair and going natural. It's one of the best things I've ever done. I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I can say if my hair had not fallen out I would have never done a bc. I haven't made a full recovery but in my adversity I feel I gained a lot b/c I get to encourage BW to embrace their natural texture. My advice is pray and find a friend you can talk to.
    HTH
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • NataliejNataliej Registered Users Posts: 26
    adthomas wrote: »
    Hi Nataliej,
    I know what you're going through. I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata three years ago. I found one bald spot after washing my hair and over the months about 30 percent of my hair fell out. I had to start wearing wigs. I went through a lot of depression and people kept saying "it's only hair", "It's not like you have cancer". I had an aunt lose her hair to cancer. No you're not sick but it is a blow to my self-esteem. With AA there is not telling if your hair will grow back and if it does it could fall out again. It made me reluntant to date someone new because I didn't want to explain. For me it helped to talk to someone I found through a support group who didn't judge me for the way I felt. I also prayed about it and asked God to show me what I needed to learn from this. I planned to go back to relaxers but the derm told me no more chemicals. So I ended up chopping off the rest of my hair and going natural. It's one of the best things I've ever done. I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I can say if my hair had not fallen out I would have never done a bc. I haven't made a full recovery but in my adversity I feel I gained a lot b/c I get to encourage BW to embrace their natural texture. My advice is pray and find a friend you can talk to.
    HTH

So has your hair grown back since going natural?
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Registered Users Posts: 2,320 Curl Neophyte
    Hopefully your follicles aren't damaged. I think you can grow it back if your follicles are still good. There was this lady on YouTube who grew her hair back in like a year. I'm on my phone now, but i'll find the link when I get to a computer. I think she sells the stuff she used to grow her hair back.

on my EVO. I'm fancy.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    No. My hasn't grown back completely and my hair fell out over time. Now my hair is long and very dense so now I can style it in a way that you can't see the bald area. You could have a thyroid problem but if you have AA, know it's an autoimmune disorder. Your immune system gets confused and starts attacking your body, in this case your hair follicles. There are treatments but no cure. Your hair could start growing again at any time with or without treatment. None of the doc's medications worked for me. I started looking into alternatives and had good results with daily massages with essential oil blends.
    I think mine was triggered by genetic predisposition and stress. Three female cousins and an aunt on my dad's side had their hair suddenly fall out when they were going through a rough time. That's when mine happened. Also my brother has an autoimmune disorder but a different type.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Registered Users Posts: 1,017 Curl Neophyte
    aw im sorry your going through something that makes you feel down. I know its easy to say its just hair but if your actually going through it im sure its hard. just try to look up as much as you can, and try to think positive, look for the good where you can. maybe find some support groups online or blogs. with my religion we meet in big assemblies and conventions a few times a year and there was a lady i always saw every year who was so fly, and bald. I mean FLY. I never knew you could be so fly with no hair but she was. Once I got older I learned why she was bald and it was the same thing your saying. She worked it though. So try hard to not let it get you down
    my blog
    http://curlygirlie85.blogspot.com/
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: http://sophiams85.tumblr.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    yeah, cause it just happened randomly & i'm afraid that more bald spots will appear. Thanks for the advice :)
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Registered Users Posts: 216
    I had the same thing happened to me...But for me it was because of me neglecting my hair too much under my wigs. It's a rough process, but trust me you'll get through it. If your going to wear wigs while you're waiting for you hair to possibly grow back make sure to use whatever your doctor prescribes and keep the area clean, and "breathable". Also keep a soft, sheer wig cap on at all times under the wig. That's what helped me grown my bald patches back.

Hope to hear good news from you soon :)
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Registered Users Posts: 891
    I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this situation. Goodluck and I wish you the best outcome possible!

I know that it helps me to hear stories with successful outcomes so here is one:

My mother was diagnosed with a form of alopecia in which she had small pea sized areas that would turn red and then the hair would fall out. Sometimes the areas would grow into bigger red spots. One ended up being about the size of a quarter. She went to the dermatologist who gave her some type of shots in her head and it basically always cleared it up (stopped the redness). She's had to go back for more treatments at first but now I don't think she has had the shots for years and most of the areas are either fully grown back or just slightly thinner than the rest.
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Registered Users Posts: 448
    I'm really sorry you are going through this! :(

There is a new hair care line called It's Perfectly Natural that I had the pleasure of reviewing on my blog. This line is dedicated to those with alopecia/balding/thinning hair. The lady behind the line suffered from alopecia. She was kind enough to share her growth journey on my blog.

Precious Curls | Celebrate Natural Hair!: ❀ Featured Natural: Denise

Her hair line: It's Perfectly Natural

I hope that her story is encouraging to you. Best of luck on your journey :)
  • manemanmaneman Registered Users Posts: 136
    I was touched by your post. I'm definitely sending warm wishes your way. Hang in there and know that we've for your back! Good luck!
    Check out my blog: http://manemanblog.com.
    If you're a curly guy and would like to be featured then check out the Contact page and hit me up!

Favorite products:
    Shampoo: KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling: Donna Marie Dream Curling Cream, EcoStyler Gel (pink)
  • Tif-fro-neeTif-fro-nee Registered Users Posts: 62
    Hi, I know exactly what you are going through...I didn't necessarily feel depressed, actually I was relieved because I knew something was threathening the nature of my scalp/hair, but I never thought about visiting a derm, until six years later....when I began my natural hair care journey. Years of faithful hair practices (flat ironing and relaxers) resulted in CCCA (scarring alopecia). I was diagnosed in Jan. 2011 and I was given a slim chance of hair return and I already figured it wouldn't return because I did my research and I examined my scalp (particularly in the central area). To my surprise, my hair is making a slow, staggering come back, which is great, but my main goal is to make sure I practice healthy hair techniques, so it will not spread and to keep my symptoms from recurring ( severe itchiness, redness and soreness). Anyways, I know you will make it through and I hope you find my personal story helps and from your hair loss description, it sounds like you have Alopecia Areata, if your follicles are healthy and not scarred, then you have a great probability of hair return. Keep strong and optimistic!!!
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte
    Just popped in to give you some love.

I agree with sweetmx85 regarding finding support from other women who are going though something similar (on and offline, if possible). As someone who lives with a chronic illness, I know that can make all the difference in the world sometimes when I'm feeling especially down.

Keep us updated when you can.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    thank you so much everyone, it means a lot. & tuesday i'll be going to the derm so i'll let you know what happenes.
  • YltnelisYltnelis Registered Users Posts: 54
    Hi Natalie,
    I'm sorry to hear about your alopecia. I understand how depressing it can be to lose your hair. I have a spot on the right side and a smaller spot on top. Fortunately I can cover it with the rest of my hair, but years ago back when I was still using relaxers I couldn't even grow enough hair to cover it. Going natural helped me tremendously, and while some of the hair has grown back in those 2 spots, it is never as long nor as thick as the rest of my hair.

I do want to say that if you decide to use wigs, please be careful of the ones with combs. I have a friend that used wigs to help her cope with hair loss, and the combs ended up causing more breakage in certain areas. I know they can be helpful, but I think if the hair is already weak or prone to breakage, then the combs may just exacerbate the problem. She still uses wigs but just cuts out the combs and uses those large hair pins instead. Best of luck to you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file