Kinky curly products

Is the Kinky Curly line a really good product, or is it just a product that everyone jumped on the bandwagon with because its popular? I'm struggling with my hair at the moment because I can't seem to keep enough moisture in it throughout the day. I need to know what products are the best..

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    I see why you're cautious. Just because a bunch of people tout it as a go-to product for them, doesn't mean it'll work for you or any one person so you're smart to gather more info on it IMO.

That said, my experience with the Kinky Curly line is limited to the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (KCCC). Just bought some recently and so far it seems to work for me in a way that many other curl enhancing products don't. Haven't been able to handle any gels throughout the years, certainly not long-term. Mousse sometimes though. But KCCC is also slightly drying for me unless mixed with some conditioner (even though I use LI before applying it).

Like any product, KCCC isn't for everyone. It takes most ppl a few tries before they can apply it in an amount that doesn't either leave the hair too crunchy or so little they have no hold. Some ppl need to add gel on top of KCCC for optimal hold. It's best applied in sections if you have really thick hair and/or a lot of it.

I still have a tendency to apply too much and my hair "tells me" by literally wilting/drooping and becoming nearly curl-less (just awful). You might want to purchase the smaller size first (8 oz.s), which will be somewhere btw $16-20, as opposed to spending $30 on the larger one. That way if you don't like it, less of a loss :)
  • KidKurlyKidKurly Posts: 10Registered Users
    I went and bought the Li and custard.. small bottles. I hope it works out for me because I am tired of switching from one product to the next so frequently. Thanks much for the advice.. :-)

• jcfrizzlejcfrizzle Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCKT is the Kinky Curly Knot Today which is the one product that can possibly tame my hair. I use it as a leave in and detangler, and I have yet to have problems running a wide-tooth comb through my hair..which is next to impossible(or so I thought) for my crazy 3c curls and kinks! It smells really good, but it can get a little strong in the sweet department especially when I'm half asleep in the shower, but it roughly smells like mango(which is basically the first ingridient and pineapple mixed. I too was wondering if the whole kinky curly banwagon was just a phase but I'm glad to say it's all fact.
    Love my auburn 3b/3c curls!! Favorite products are Treseme Naturals conditioner and DevaCare ArcAngel(<---miracle for definition!) I really just want to GROW MY HAIR OUT!! It's not really working...
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I absolutely love the KCKT! I use it as an RO but I did try it as an LI (my hair is fine and just doesn't need the extra moisture). I tried the KCCC awhile ago and I'm not sure of the results.....I thought it was working but then it wasn't. I'm not sure if it was because of the product or other reasons but some people swear by it. I think it just depends on the individual. Good luck!!!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users
    The whole Kinky Curly line is just "meh" for me. I like that Target carries it, but my hair doesn't like it as much as I'd hoped. I have to mix the custard with a cream to get better curl softness otherwise it's like has been said here earlier, my curls just get stringy and droopy and look bad.
    I also don't think either product, the LI or the custard, is particularly moisturizing. I try to just use KCKT with the KCCC only, because when I use it as a LI with my other stylers, it's a crap LI. Honestly. :( I don't think I'll repurchase it. I'm on my 2nd bottle so I feel I've given it enough of a chance to work and it just isn't.

I also use a gel over the whole shebang, but I use a gel over everything, otherwise I don't like the definition I get. My curls are too frizzy otherwise. :D
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCCC was always a hit or miss product for me. Sometimes I think I was too heavy handed with it so my hair would look really producty and wet until drying. My wave pattern is also naturally very weak so that might have had something to do with it.

I do really like the KCKT as a leave-in and the very occasional rinse out! Smells great and is very moisturizing!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love Kinky Curly Curling Custard. The rest of the line hasn't wowed me.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    KidKurly wrote: »
    I went and bought the Li and custard.. small bottles. I hope it works out for me because I am tired of switching from one product to the next so frequently. Thanks much for the advice.. :-)

Sure thing! Hope you'll post again to report what happened :)
  • SegBSegB Posts: 692Registered Users
    I have been having a lot of luck raking a small pea size of KCKT and then one finger scoop of KCCC scrunched in. Diffuse then SOTC...Great hair so far.
    2b/3a, normal/high porosity, fine/medium texture, medium density, low elasticity

Low Poo- Tigi Colour Goddess, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT (clarify 1X/week)
    Condish- CJ Curl Rehab, Giovanni 50:50, Giovanni TTT
    Leave In- Slip Detangler, KCKT, Redken Curl Refiner
    Style- KCCC, SS CEJ, SS FHG
    Treatment- CJ Repair Me! and CJ CR

Dislikes: Too much protein, high glycerin content, and heavy oils
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users
    Jumped on the Kinky Curly "bandwagon" many months ago and purchased the Come Clean (shampoo), Knot Today (conditioner) and the Curling Custard. I initially bought into the whole thing about needing to use the 3 products as a system..... NOT!!!

The Come Clean left my hair feeling stripped. I never used it again......bottle still sitting in the closet having been used for a single sudsing.

The Knot Today did absolutely nothing for my hair. I mixed it with some other stuff just to get rid of it over a period of time.

The Curling Custard, initially left my hair hard as heck and literally "frozen" in the craziest style ever!! I put that in the closet too but pulled it out a few months ago and used it for a wng ON TOP OF COCONUT OIL and it was the most awesome wng ever!! In recent weeks, I did a twistout using it ON TOP OF COCONUT OIL and my hair came out fabulous. Very moisturized and incredibly soft and bouncy. I got a minimum of 5-day hair for each of these styles.

As others have already recommended, purchase smallest quantity to try first. The Curling Custard has a "learning curve" so you really have to be prepared to give it a few tries to find the right amount to use on your hair as well as what works best for your hair under it as well as over it to SOTC.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
    So, I used the knot today Li and the custard, and so far I think I like it. However, I did have to apply a bit of Argan oil and water on my hair by days end because it felt a lil dry.

• Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users
    Hmm, maybe the trick is to use it on top of coconut oil. Did you heat it? How much do you use?

I notice too people don't use alot of either product. I have a pretty heavy hand I guess with products, but my hair is porous and sucks up product like crazy. If I used a "pea sized" amount of this or that, my hair would be dry and frizzy with no definition (believe me, I've tried using those amounts based on what I've seen people use on here and I've had to adjust; when someone says they use a dime size or something, I need a palmful). I need 3-4 finger scoops-full of KCCC for example: 2 scrunched into my hair upside down, 2 scrunched into the back, top, and sides rightside up. Same for the LI.

I think I am probably using too much, the alternative is to have frizzy, undefined curls :( Maybe layering over cocomut oil will help? I have tried layering over the Curls curl cream from Target and I get good curl definition, but it flakes something awful :( I had to stop doing that, it looked like I had dandruff!
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
    KidKurly wrote: »
    So, I used the knot today Li and the custard, and so far I think I like it. However, I did have to apply a bit of Argan oil and water on my hair by days end because it felt a lil dry.

I've generally found KCCC works best for me when it's layered. I've found that using coconut oil (as others mentioned) works underneath KCCC provided I don't use too much, otherwise it seems to compete with KCCC.

Like yours, my hair can feel dry at times if I just use KCCC with nothing else on top. Here's the combo I find helps most so far:

LI conditioner (a light one, like Tresemme Naturals), followed by KCCC, followed once more by just a little more LI. Not sure if others have noticed this, but a conditioner can act like a sealer (as do oils), following gels and other "styler" products like KCCC. If you use this layering approach, you should probably use a clarifying shampoo once in a while to prevent buildup.
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users
    I use a 3 layer approach whenever I use KCCC.
    1. Curl Junkie Argan & Olive Oil Daily Conditioner as my leave in.
    2. Coconut Oil to seal my leave in
    3. KCCC as my styler

I SOTC with either coconut oil, argan oil or jojoba oil.

This is the perfect combination for my hair when it comes to using KCCC.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • JJJungleJimJJJungleJim Posts: 60Registered Users
    [QUOTE=Korkscrew;1800554
    I've generally found KCCC works best for me when it's layered. I've found that using coconut oil (as others mentioned) works underneath KCCC provided I don't use too much, otherwise it seems to compete with KCCC.

Like yours, my hair can feel dry at times if I just use KCCC with nothing else on top. Here's the combo I find helps most so far:

LI conditioner (a light one, like Tresemme Naturals), followed by KCCC, followed once more by just a little more LI. Not sure if others have noticed this, but a conditioner can act like a sealer (as do oils), following gels and other "styler" products like KCCC. If you use this layering approach, you should probably use a clarifying shampoo once in a while to prevent buildup.[/QUOTE]

What brand of coconut oil do you use?
    3B/3C hair, very dry
    shoulder-length
    coloured strawberry blonde with lighter blonde and red stripes

"I've had enough. This is my prayer. That I'll die living just as free as my hair."
  • RobinP92202RobinP92202 Posts: 213Registered Users
    I jumped on the bandwagon and tried KCCC. I thought it might be too heavy for my hair but I like the results :) I can use it by itself and get soft but defined curls.

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Robin
    *mama to 3 little boys and a 4th due in early March
    *3a shoulder length curls
    *experimenting with the CG method

What brand of coconut oil do you use?

I use 'Spectrum' organic refined coconut oil (solid form, to be melted). It's terrific stuff. 14 oz.s ... costs about $9 and last for months. I use it on my skin too. It barely has a scent, though I wouldn't have minded if it did.
    I am now getting the hang of using the layered approach with Kccc. I'm liking it so far. I just can't seem to get second day hair. I think its because my hair is only EL. So, when i wake in the am the sides of my hair are smashed and the top forms a box shape, LOL! It's horrible... So every morning I have to spray with warm water and re-apply a bit of Kccc. Any suggestions on SDH?? :-/

• KsLiZCuRlZKsLiZCuRlZ Posts: 272Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Sorry, what do you mean by EL?
    I think its ear length

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    CG..yep that's me!

:occasion7:
  • curlybrancurlybran Posts: 510Registered Users
    Ive been wondering about these also

• CurlyCoilyMeCurlyCoilyMe Posts: 130Registered Users
    I do really like it. I dont find the gel like wauw curl definition, actually i find the best definition when only a little bit of prouduct is used. But i use it for braid and twist outs, and find my hair moisturized and shiny. The leave-in conditioner i do also find moisturizing and i like it for curl definition for wash and gos because it's not a really heavy product but still moisturizes. :)
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When my hair was that length, I found that wearing a silk scarf helped keep my curls from getting set into weird positions while I slept. I'd lay the scarf out, flip my hair over, lower my head until the hair on top was scrunched against the scarf, and scrunch my hair with one hand while I got the scarf in position with the other, repeat on the other side, then wrap the scarf around and tie it in sort of a turban. The only problem with this approach is that it feels like you need three hands to do it. Once my hair got a little longer, I was able to use a silk sleep bonnet.

In the morning, a little finger dampening and rescrunching would fix any wonky bits.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file