Air drying in the winter??

IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Registered Users Posts: 784
Sooo, this is my second winter since I started wearing my hair natural and I was just wondering how you guys dry your hair in the cooler months.

Last year I used a diffuser but I recently started air drying and I love the results! But I washed my hair the other day and let it air dry and now I have a cold! Ugh. Should I go back to diffusing? Or do you ladies have a better solution??

Comments

• Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte
    Sooo, this is my second winter since I started wearing my hair natural and I was just wondering how you guys dry your hair in the cooler months.

Last year I used a diffuser but I recently started air drying and I love the results! But I washed my hair the other day and let it air dry and now I have a cold! Ugh. Should I go back to diffusing? Or do you ladies have a better solution??

Air-drying indoors shouldn't be a problem. For me, I will just style my hair when damp (after plopping) and normally by the time I'm finished, my little hair is dry enough to go outside. Although normally I will be styling on a stay at home day or in the evening.
    If I spritz in the morning, I don't put on enough that my hair is soaking and the moisture is sealed in with something thick which seems to help somehow. Oh, also hats! I will have silk scarf and hat on when I'm commuting to Uni or out shopping or going to see a friend or summink.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • curlyenchantedcurlyenchanted Registered Users Posts: 4
    I'm having the same issue right now. I have a twa and prefer to restyle my hair everyday for a wash and go but I usually end up leaving the house with wet hair. The only alternative I can think of right now is to begin to get ready for the day with enough time to let my hair air dry indoors. I know that's nearly impossible to do for someone with longer hair.
  • Ogo'mOgo'm Registered Users Posts: 242

I wash and go almost every day, and plan on doing so until I get a couple more inches. Just before leaving the house, I put my head upside down, use a microfiber towel to squeeze a bit of moisture, and shake again. I also have 2 of these (Green/Blue Hooded Scarf - HatSoMe - Lined Hats that Fit Your Style) hooded scarves. I have used it only twice and it worked fine. My head was covered and warm, and my hair was still great.
  • MsladiiMsladii Registered Users Posts: 442
    I usually style my hair in the night and afternoon so I air dry indoors and my heat is always on blast so my hair dries fairly quick!

When I don't have time and I have to wash and go I just wrap my scarf around my head and make use my ears are covered really well so I don't get too cold. Where I live it's freezing I'm talking everything covered in a layer if frost every morning so I never allow my hair wet or dry to be exposed to the cold.

I also hate being cold so it's a must that my head is fully covered!

I also make sure to shake as much water out my hair and blot with a t-shirt til it's no longer dripping before styling.
    PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL IT WILL BE ABOUT NATURAL HAIR CARE / STYLES / TUTORIALS AND COSMETICS I WOULD LOVE FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT
    http://www.youtube.com/user/simplycliche

"Shrinkage is only your hair trying to get closer to you...embrace it."
    O, medium/course, spongy, mass of beautiful curly hair

event.png

pswd rawks
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    I do my hair at night or in the afternoon on the weekend. It takes about 24+ hours for my hair to dry completely so by Monday I'm ready to take my twists/flat twists down and head out with dry hair.
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Unless I am wearing a twistout, I use a diffuser. With twistouts I twist my hair at night so that it is dry in the morning. I like for my wash & gos to be completely dry before I leave the house though.
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    i never used a diffuser. when i had a twa, i would wash n go every morning. apply a scarf, then a winter hat over that... by the time i got to work, my hair was dry. i did this the whole winter.

if you caught a cold, i'd say it was because your resistance was low... not due to wet hair.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Registered Users Posts: 2,316
    I just get up an hour early and wash my hair that way when I am done with the rest of my morning ritual my hair is damp. However I rarely was my hair when I am going to class or work or have something else to do. My hair is longer now and thiiick it takes awhile to dry. So usually wash my hair on a day when I have nothing else to do.

Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • IAmJordanNicoleIAmJordanNicole Registered Users Posts: 784
    hippychic wrote: »
    i never used a diffuser. when i had a twa, i would wash n go every morning. apply a scarf, then a winter hat over that... by the time i got to work, my hair was dry. i did this the whole winter.

if you caught a cold, i'd say it was because your resistance was low... not due to wet hair.

Problem is, I dont have a twa I have a lot of hair! See...
    4c63f161-d3fa-3dba.jpg
    It literally takes HOURS to dry!!!!

4c63f161-d3fa-3dba.jpg
    love your hair color!

oh ok - thought you had a twa :)

seems like you would do good with a twist out or braid out rather than have wet hair every morning. just retwist or rebraid in larger sections each night.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4c63f161-d3fa-3dba.jpg
    love your hair color!

oh ok - thought you had a twa :)

seems like you would do good with a twist out or braid out rather than have wet hair every morning. just retwist or rebraid in larger sections each night.

Thanks, I guess no more wash n
    go's for me :(
    I haven't quite mastered the braid out thing yet. I can never get the definition to last throughout the day. And the ends are always straight because I'm still transitioning an the last inch is relaxed...any suggestions?
    what about perm rods to curl the ends overnight?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    what about perm rods to curl the ends overnight?

I'll try that next time I wash, thanks for the advice!
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Registered Users Posts: 301
    I'm washing my hair about once every 5-6 days. Never ever thought I'd be able to do it. I am a wash n go type girl. My hair hates twist outs etc. The only section that cooperates with twist outs is the bangs. Go figure.

I've found it easy to do this:
    In the evening, wash (or cowash or whatever), then wrap a curl towel around it for about 30-40 min. Then its a big loose fro. Let it stay out loose for another 15 min or so. Then I do about 8-10 sections and apply leave in and seal with oil to each section and twist each section making sure its detangled. The hair is still damp. I put a disposable plastic cap on (or you could do saran wrap), and two head scarves (google Greenhouse Effect Hair).

The next morning I take down the slightly damp twists and apply EcoStyler Olive Oil gel to each section. I've found that EcoStyler works best for me on hair that isn't soaking wet, but rather slightly damp or almost dry hair. I get great elongation and stretching and crazy definition this way. The hair is already moisturized and sealed before the EcoStyler goes on.

I am heavy handed.... and after this, it takes another 24 hours for it to dry 100%. So I just rock it out like this-- or in a puff (puff is good for cold weather). That night I leave it alone (no pineapple no nothing, because its still not 100% dry and my hair hates being messed with until its ALL THE WAY dry).

The next morning before my shower, I use some moisturizer (BeijaFlor Naturals Creme Brulee is my BEST FRIEND for this), and apply it and smooth my hair into two ponytails in the middle/top of my head. This gets out the crunch and stretches my hair nicely. Put on a scarf, and use a shower cap when showering etc. Leave in the scrunchies as long as I can b4 I have to leave the house (sometimes I leave them in in the car drive to work). When I take the scrunchies out its better stretched and soft.

Every night after that I pineapple using satin scrunchies. I will moisturize, apply oil and my scrunchies. As the days go on my hair gets bigger and bigger. The bigger it gets the more I like it. I get lots of compliments. A coworker told me 'wow every day it gets bigger and bigger, its awesome'.

You can style it in different ways each day if you want, because the hair is dry and pliable from the moisturizer/oil/pineappling. I also use a tad bit of grease now in the mix too (see the big grease thread-- grease is GREAT FOR STRETCHING!).

Today is day 6 for me. And I LOVE HOW IT LOOKS. So I'ma keep going. Its especially easy to do since it has gotten cold outside and no humidity to make my hair feel gross.

The first pic is my hair yesterday, and the second pic is today.
    The third pic is an example of my nightly pineapple which allows me to go 5+ days between 'washes'.
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte
    Lovely hair AllieCat!
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Registered Users Posts: 301

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file