Behentrimonium Methosulfate only & not with Cetearyl/Cetyl

NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Question answered. Behentrimonium Methosulfate can not by purchased by itself (at least at this time by any sellers).

Thanks!
YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
www.thecurlyfitchic.com
Fotki<< Updated 2/10

Comments

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Ok. You have it down that these are three different products, but there's only two.

Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetyl Alcohol/Butylene Glycol (aka BTMS-50)

Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol (aka BTMS-25)

The first one is slightly more expensive, but better for conditioners IMO. It has more of the conditioning agent (50%; compared to the last one which has 25%). It also contains a humectant which provides added moisturization and slip as well for ease of detangling.

You will not find behentrimonium methosulfate on it's own. The cetyl or cetearyl alcohol in these products provides thickening of your conditioner as well as added slip and lubricity.

hth
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    coilynapp wrote: »
    Ok. You have it down that these are three different products, but there's only two.

Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetyl Alcohol/Butylene Glycol (aka BTMS-50)

Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol (aka BTMS-25)

The first one is slightly more expensive, but better for conditioners IMO. It has more of the conditioning agent (50%; compared to the last one which has 25%). It also contains a humectant which provides added moisturization and slip as well for ease of detangling.

You will not find behentrimonium methosulfate on it's own. The cetyl or cetearyl alcohol in these products provides thickening of your conditioner as well as added slip and lubricity.

hth

I should have said I've researched over a year and decided to purchase a week ago. I do know the differences between the combinations and their purposes. However, I wanted to purchase separately to see which ingredient combinations and amounts work on my particular hair.

Unfortunately, when the majority of people talk about it on here and YouTube, they only mention BTMS (as if it is only Behentrimonium Methosulfate) and not the actual combination they purchased. I did see a seller on Etsy that claims they sell it alone. But, since I can't seem to find others that sell I am skeptical. I wanted to ensure I was correct in my thinking that people are indeed not mentioning the other ingredient (Cetyl or Cetearyl)

Thanks! :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • CeriCeri Posts: 142Registered Users
    I think people usually mean BTMS-50 when they just say BTMS and Coliynapp is correct in saying that BTMS-50 is more conditioning.

I have and use both types in my formulas, sometimes I don't need as much conditioning or want the Butylene Glycol in what I'm making.

Buy small amounts of the two, try them both and see which one you prefer.
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Ok in response to not knowing which one people are mentioning on youtube, if they are talking about an indie product line, more likely they are talking about the BTMS-25 because there is a fear of using butylene glycol by many of these companies. That's just by best guess.

Also I was just pointing out that there is only 2 kinds not 3 like you have in your post. There is no behentrimonium and cetyl alcohol combination without butylene glycol.

ITA with Ceri, just buy small amounts of both and try.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file