Keratin not for everyone! Ruined my hair!

MissMamaMissMama Registered Users Posts: 8 Curl Neophyte
I was relaxed for about ten years and have been natural for about 8 years. Love my natural hair but sometimes I get a little "itch" and wear it straight for a couple of weeks. When I was living in Atlanta I worked at a salon that offered the Coppola Keratin Treatment. I'm very picky and cautious with my hair so I spent a couple of weeks talking it over with the stylists and the salon manager and reading the ingredients over and over and over again...basically trying to decide if it was a good option for me. What I got from them was that it didn't have any harmful ingredients, would repair my hair and that my natural texture would come back within 5 months after receiving the service. So I decided to give it a try. I can say with confidence that the service was performed exactly as it should have been...no error on part of the stylist. At first I was thrilled with the results. My hair was silky, soft, and super easy to style. I followed the care instructions perfectly...only used the Coppola color safe products (as they have no sulfates) and continued with deep conditioning etc,.etc. Within about two months I noticed that I had curly pieces and straight pieces much like a bad texturizer. Didn't think much about it as I thought it was just my own texture working its way back in. But as time went on and I started to have new growth I noticed that the hair that had been treated with the keratin was dry, stringy, and breaking badly. I eventually had to have about 8 inches cut off. Received the keratin treatment in 06/10 and had the hair cut in 01/11. My hair has started to grow back and I have made a promise to myself to just stay away from anything that alters the texture of your hair (regardless of how safe or natural they say it is). I've known people that had AMAZING results from the keratin but unfortunately I wasn't one of them. All this to say please use caution, REALLY think it through and do your research before you do something like that! :book:

Comments

• NaturalBeauty79NaturalBeauty79 Registered Users Posts: 256
    What is
    Your
    Hair type ?
  • Joyce M.Joyce M. Registered Users Posts: 4
    did the same treatment as you...had a worse experience...hair never was frizz free ever, and destroyed my hair PERMANENTLY!!! Has been about 8 months..have to condition to death (NO PROTEIN/DEEP CONDITIONERS), put jojoba and avocado oils on it all the time, NO FLAT IRON, NO HAIR COLORING)...can't cut it, because my hair is too frizzy/curly naturally, so couldn't control it at all, and couldn't pull it back for at least 2 yrs..cut it before, and horrible!!! THIS STUFF TRASHED MY HAIR!!! DRY, DRY, DRY, AND SO TANGLED IT FREAKS ME OUT!!! CAN'T GET MY FINGERS THROUGH IT (BARELY) WHEN WASHING/CONDITIONING...feels a little better when dry.
  • tiama-xtiama-x Registered Users Posts: 199 Curl Neophyte
    Keratin is a protein isn't it??
    "2 Something ATM"
    Coarse, Medium- Thick, Normal Porosity
    My Routine
    Low 'Poo: curash soothing oatmeal conditioning shampoo
    RO: tresemme naturals moisturising conditioner
    LI: tresemme naturals/kinky curly knot today
    Seal: mix of shea butter/coconut oil
    Goals
    waist length hair & finding a sexual cheapo leave in conditioner for both me and my daughter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file