edges anyone?

yellayella Registered Users Posts: 15
my edges are very thin.. i just wanted to know has anyone else had this problem, and if so, now did u solve it?

Sent from my LG-P509 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    I used to apply castor oil to my edges daily or every other day. It's very thick, so a little goes a long way. I only did it for a couple months, but my edges have improved.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • TimeMacchineTimeMacchine Registered Users Posts: 37
    I take a MSM, hair, skin and nail vitamin and a multi-vitamin and regular mutli-vitamin. My edges have grown in from July to now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The LazyNatural
    :glasses7:
  • FronomenalFronomenal Registered Users Posts: 712 Curl Neophyte
    I have fragile/thin edges due to past chemical (relaxers) and physical (braids/twist extension) damage. Here's what I do:
    --Keep edges moisturized with leave-in conditioner and/or oils/butters
    --Smoothing hair into puffs or bunnytails for (neat but relativley loose) buns with hands, gel and satin scarf (no brushes or combs)
    --Using light-hold natural gels for bunning (Kiss My Face Upper Managment Gel and DIY flax seed gel)
    --Being gentle when twisting/braiding/bantu knotting near edges
    --Staying away from styles that stress edges(braid/twist extensions, weaves, etc)

My edges have improved very much from when I first went natural. They'll get even better with my contined gentleness and the passage of time.

• yellayella Registered Users Posts: 15
    the smell of the castor oil didn't bother u all?

• yasminseyasminse Registered Users Posts: 18
    I feel your pain. The middle and top of my hair is long enough for a mini ponytail but my sides aren't -__- I would put a silk cap on at night time so that your hair won't break off. And I have a product called Organic Root Stimulator Hair Fertilizer. Every night I apply it on my sides and rub it in for 5 minutes. For me, it made edges wake up a bit and grow about .5 inches in 2 weeks. Yes it's a pain :( but either way, hair grows :D. I just posted a thread for ways to make hair grow faster. Hopefully there will be good tips that we can both use.
  • yellayella Registered Users Posts: 15
    thanx :)
    i wear a satin cap any time i lay dwn.. my edges are just very shallow because of wearing braids.. but is the ORS leave in or wash out?

• Ogo'mOgo'm Registered Users Posts: 242
    I take MSM for my joints and used to take biotin (5,000 mcg). I am growing in new edges. I even have a some hairs growing on my forehead! Needless to say, I have stopped taking the biotin.

Try a combination of MSM and biotin.
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte
    Ogo'm wrote: »
    I take MSM for my joints and used to take biotin (5,000 mcg). I am growing in new edges. I even have a some hairs growing on my forehead! Needless to say, I have stopped taking the biotin.

WHAT?!! Ok, that sounds horrible! :thumbdown:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • Ogo'mOgo'm Registered Users Posts: 242
    Ogo'm wrote: »

WHAT?!! Ok, that sounds horrible! :thumbdown:

It is. I got it waxed off. It is growing in a V down my forehead. I was fine with the edges I had, I didn't want new ones. I wanted the hairs already there to grow faster so I can put it in a ponytail :)

Oh well.
  • DBOO75115DBOO75115 Registered Users Posts: 119
    Fronomenal wrote: »
    I have fragile/thin edges due to past chemical (relaxers) and physical (braids/twist extension) damage. Here's what I do:
    --Keep edges moisturized with leave-in conditioner and/or oils/butters
    --Smoothing hair into puffs or bunnytails for (neat but relativley loose) buns with hands, gel and satin scarf (no brushes or combs)
    --Using light-hold natural gels for bunning (Kiss My Face Upper Managment Gel and DIY flax seed gel)
    --Being gentle when twisting/braiding/bantu knotting near edges
    --Staying away from styles that stress edges(braid/twist extensions, weaves, etc)

My edges have improved very much from when I first went natural. They'll get even better with my contined gentleness and the passage of time.

This sounds exactly like me :)! I still use brushes when I bun, and my edges are still struggling so I might have to take your lead and drop the brush/comb when bunning.
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Curl Neophyte
    I am definitely taking notes. I have a thin spot in the middle of my head on top. I'd like that to fill in! I think my massive 6 year locs pulled it thin over time.

Jen :D
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • curlyberrycurlyberry Registered Users Posts: 549
    My edges are nicely growing back after I stopped relaxing way back in March. I just massage them with an oil/butter of my choice every morning and night.
    Type 4, fine/high density, high porosity
    Last Relaxer - March '11
    BC - August '11

Fall/Winter PRODUCTS

Clarifier - Paul Mitchell Three Low-poos - BoBeam Conditioners - TJ Nourish Spa, CJRM!, Co-Wash - N/A, Leave-Ins - N/A, Moisturizers - Afroveda Coco Latte, QBCTDG, CR Moisture Butter, Sealants/Stylers - Any BASK butters and creams, Jane Carter N&S, QBATB
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    yella wrote: »
    the smell of the castor oil didn't bother u all?

I apologize for replying so late. I don't mind the smell of castor oil. My dad dilutes it in Taliah Wajid's oil (which smells awesome, by the way) and I know there are other recipes around.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • Curlyd7Curlyd7 Registered Users Posts: 54
    Use kiti kiti products.. Works great!!

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file