CurlTalk

Are you using grease? How are you using it?

Alrighty, so a few months ago I decided to revisit using grease to seal moisture into my hair as it had been suggested to me by a few people. It was something I'd been on the fence about since the beginning of the year since my naturally porous hair has always had issues with retaining moisture. I finally caved and bought a jar of Blue Magic. After a wash, dc, and some leave-in, I put a small amount of grease on detangled sections of hair & layered gel over it. My hair dried soft and shiny. One of the best wash & gos I'd ever had and I didn't need to remoisturize my hair at all before wash day (which was 5 days later). I continued to use the grease and discovered my hair loved it. It was time for the ultimate test: A twist out. My twistouts fail 98% of the time, but my grease twist out was AMAZING! Great definition, shine, softness... I was too excited about it.

I stopped using grease a few weeks ago to give oil a chance. Oil works a little better than it has in the past, but it pales in comparison to grease. I think it is going to be my staple sealer.

Anyway, I was wondering who else here is using the grease, how you are using it, and how you like it compared to other methods of sealing.

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,470Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    What grease do you use?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    SOOOO I just tried grease, royal crown, for the 1st time since chopping last week. I was pleasantly surprised my hair stayed soft for the whole time I did the twist out, super defined, and just all around bomb! I will have to try it on a WnG next. I did a vid about the TO.
    On that Grease Ish.. (Twist Out with Royal Crown) - YouTube
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    After I use up this Blue Magic, I will be trying Royal Crown... followed by Dax. LoL I was going to buy some regular Vaseline but it is like $5! Even store brand petroleum jelly is priced around $4. The Blue Magic was only $2.50 and the same size.
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    Between this and Curly Nikki's blog post today, I may try this. My twist outs usually shrink up my midday. It's annoying!
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    Y'all bout to have me on the grease tip too...
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    LolaKinkz wrote: »
    SOOOO I just tried grease, royal crown, for the 1st time since chopping last week. I was pleasantly surprised my hair stayed soft for the whole time I did the twist out, super defined, and just all around bomb! I will have to try it on a WnG next. I did a vid about the TO.
    i read this wrong. i thought u were saying you chopped your hair last week. i went to the bss store yesterday to get barrettes for my daughter and my eyes glazed over at all the 'grease' :cheese:

if i wasnt able to get moisture from sealing with shea butter, i'd def try it :thumbright:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I use to use this a couple of years ago.

412uceuRGDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    It's basically grease but marketed toward Caucasians. I liked it a lot at first but it stopped working I think because of build-up. I think I'll revisit.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users

It's basically grease but marketed toward Caucasians. I liked it a lot at first but it stopped working I think because of build-up. I think I'll revisit.
    A couple of years ago I borrowed this in a pinch from a friend of mine and was surprised at how soft it made my hair feel, for several days. I think I am going to convince myself that it will help seal out the dry winter air here and try it again. Y'all have me rethinking this hardcore.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • cysycacysyca Posts: 362Registered Users
    I make my own grease using pure lanolin, jojoba butter, mango butter, and almond oil (fragrance). All ordered from Camden-Grey. 

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Live For Today!
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users
    Foxyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Thank you for starting this thread! I'm tired of lurkin on LHCF! lol don't judge me. OK SOOOOO,

I've tried the blue Blue Magic

I've tried straight Vaseline.

I have not tried Royal Crown (I really want to)

Does anyone else find it odd that these products work differently even though their ingredients only vary a tiny bit. Some are soft, some are harder almost like a pomade. Some are kinda gooey. Some look solid. It's weird.

Anyway, Vaseline sucked hahahaha for ME.

The blue magic was eh.

BUT, my hair is heat damaged. My kinky roots will probably love this stuff once it grows out. When I was little I got grease and water before the press n curl became the routine.

My hair loves Miss Jessie's Babybuttercreme though, and it's water, petrolatum, mineral oil, glycerin, etc.

I wanna try the blue magic coconut. There's fewer ingredients so I feel like it would be less gooey. I think the blue blue magic was gooey.

I also wanna try the softee mango.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    Lawddd lemme find out I'm about to extend my junkie-ism to hair greases as well. Haha.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    After I use up this Blue Magic, I will be trying Royal Crown... followed by Dax. LoL I was going to buy some regular Vaseline but it is like $5! Even store brand petroleum jelly is priced around $4. The Blue Magic was only $2.50 and the same size.
    $5 for some vaseline?! That's preposterous!
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Posts: 253Registered Users
    I have the same moisture issues..
    So, I got the Blue Magic coconut oil and the Royal Crown...I hope one of them works.
    I put tons of leave in conditioner on wet hair and then sealed w/ the Royal Crown *crossing fingers*
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users

This is what my grandmother used, that and vitapointe. Theyre on my list to revisit.. I got a small jar of the blue ultra sheen to test out, ive been sniffing it all day lol.
    I picked up the blue magic w castor oil, it smelled GOOD.. but I resisted!

Its funny how everyone has their favorite grease from back in the day, mine were the ultra sheen & african pride w all the herbs in it
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users
    My aunt used to use the blue ultra sheen on me, and my grandmother pressed it with the yellow. And then my aunt used the green for dry hair on her own. I would sit there sniffin and sniffin to my heart's content.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I use "grease" but not traditional petrolatum grease. I currently use:

Oyin - Burnt Sugar
    Koils by Nature - Hair & Body Butter
    Alba - Un Petroleum Jelly
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
    Fantasia mskes one that i used all the time when i was relaxed. I used to air dry then use it to smooth my hair into a ponytail to stretch and straighten. The one thing i noticed when using it is that my hair grew like crazy. And the smell was fantastic. It gave great shine softness and slicking. Heres a link: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautyofnewyork.com%2Fshopping%2F5OD6230107KI0209.htm" class="Popup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    I'm with greenandchic...my "grease" use in in the form of pomades and butters.

I used to only use them on my ends because I was afraid that if I used it on the entire section I was twisting/braiding it would be way too greasy but after giving it a try with Oyin BSP I was kicking myself in the behind.

My hair was sparkly, felt extra soft, and it stayed moisturized for more days. This also worked for me using oils. I haven't had a greasy head full of hair yet. My favs...

Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade
    Komaza Moku Hair Butter
    Carol's Daughter Tui Oil
    HairVeda Almond Glaze

I am so late on actually "sealing in the moisture."
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    LolaKinkz wrote: »

Geeze your hair looks good in that vid!
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    During the fall/winter months my hair needs extra help locking in the moisture especially in the back. Royal Crown is my boo. My hair stays so soft and moisturized for days.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • DewMakerDewMaker Posts: 156Registered Users
    Read the hype about grease and applied some vaseline to one side of my hair and some oil to the other. I'm going to check the difference tommorow. I love my routine but my hair always loses moisture a bit too quickly. If grease will keep my hair moisturised for longer then I'm all for it! :)
  • tsha74tsha74 Posts: 81Registered Users
    This is quite interesting, I just had a customer tell me (work PT @ Macy's Carol Daughter counter) that her mother has gone back old school on her daughter's hair and mixes Castor Oil with Blue Beaumont greese and her hair is growing, and growing. I have the Coconut Blue Magic that I use on my daughter for sealing.

T
    Last Relaxer: Nov 2008
    Transitioned: 18 months
    BC: April 4/20/2010
  • ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Posts: 542Registered Users
    My mom loves blue magic. She was heavy handed with it when I was a child though, grease would end up on my forehead. But I used a little bit as a sealer when I was at her house and I liked it. It had been years since I used it and I'm thinking about buying some. Boyfriend is gonna think I'm crazy, one more product to clutter up the bathroom but, he'll live. lol
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Lanisha wrote: »
    Foxyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Thank you for starting this thread! I'm tired of lurkin on LHCF! lol don't judge me. OK SOOOOO,

I've tried the blue Blue Magic

I've tried straight Vaseline.

I have not tried Royal Crown (I really want to)

Does anyone else find it odd that these products work differently even though their ingredients only vary a tiny bit. Some are soft, some are harder almost like a pomade. Some are kinda gooey. Some look solid. It's weird.

Anyway, Vaseline sucked hahahaha for ME.

The blue magic was eh.

BUT, my hair is heat damaged. My kinky roots will probably love this stuff once it grows out. When I was little I got grease and water before the press n curl became the routine.

My hair loves Miss Jessie's Babybuttercreme though, and it's water, petrolatum, mineral oil, glycerin, etc.

I wanna try the blue magic coconut. There's fewer ingredients so I feel like it would be less gooey. I think the blue blue magic was gooey.

I also wanna try the softee mango.
    I use to be addicted to this...:thumbright:
    Just went to the hood BSS and got Dax pomade, and my beloved Fantasia Tea Gro (the smell is mmm!)... Plus some other stuff I've been wanting to try, that only they carry. After all these youtube vids on grease twist outs, and my 100% twist out failures, I'ma give it a whirl tonight.
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    As much as I am tempted to try it out, I am totally traumatized by my childhood experiences with grease. My mother was the heaviest handed greaser in THE WORLD. I mean my hair staaaaayed greasy. I can remember being in gym and tumbling on mats and leaving the biggest grease spot known to man. Did I mention I went to schools with a large white population? I mean you could fry chicken on my head in the summer...

Last year or so, I got to happy with coconut oil on wet hair. My hair never dried. Later on in the evening, I was on the train and was standing next to this man with a crisp white shirt on. When he turned to leave, why did I see a grease spot where my head must have brushed his arm? I was horrified and too shamed to point it out.

I don't think I can go back ya'll... just can't. * goes to cry in a ball in the corner*
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    I recently started using my Nature's Blessing pomade once again. I've had it for a while now, but I've always loved this product since the beginning. But how I've been using it under Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter moisturizer. I think its working pretty good, but I will do a trail with a twist out, hopefully it will look great!

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • Talisa3636Talisa3636 Posts: 310Registered Users
    As much as I am tempted to try it out, I am totally traumatized by my childhood experiences with grease. My mother was the heaviest handed greaser in THE WORLD. I mean my hair staaaaayed greasy. I can remember being in gym and tumbling on mats and leaving the biggest grease spot known to man. Did I mention I went to schools with a large white population? I mean you could fry chicken on my head in the summer...

Last year or so, I got to happy with coconut oil on wet hair. My hair never dried. Later on in the evening, I was on the train and was standing next to this man with a crisp white shirt on. When he turned to leave, why did I see a grease spot where my head must have brushed his arm? I was horrified and too shamed to point it out.

I don't think I can go back ya'll... just can't. * goes to cry in a ball in the corner*

This is sooooo real!! I'm a bit scared of petroleum because it brings back flashbacks of my hair not really retaining length and greasy hair as a child. Mineral oil in an oil blend is cool though. Like greenandchic, I've been using the Oyin Pomade, Unpetroleum, and Koils by Nature as a heavier pomade like item. I find the unpetroleum a bit gooey, so I might use that for my skin and try a bitty jar of Softee grease that's firm only on the ends. No grease shall touch my scalp!! Or Bergamont scents!
    4a hair: Fall/Winter HG's
    Qhemet: Alma and Olive Heavy Cream, Cocoa Tree
    Curl Junkie: DF, CIAB, Honey Butta, Curl Reham
    Oyin: Honey Hemp, Sugar Berry
    Anita Grant: Creamy Cafe Latte, Rhassoul DC, Babassu Amla Shampoo Bar, Monoi De Tahiti
    Bee Mine: Curly Butter
    Other: Millenia Mud, Hicks Oil
    Homemade: Jamila Henna, Alba UnPetroleum Mix, Scalp Oil Blend, Aloe/Condish Spray, Condition Rinse (Aussie Moist & Mane and Tail)
    :happy6: : www.fotki.com/talisa3636
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I stopped being a fan of grease when I was in 9th grade. The consistency began to freak me out. When grease was used on my head it was my sister braiding it and she would use Blue Magic. Another hair grease I personally like was African Pride too!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • Talisa3636Talisa3636 Posts: 310Registered Users
    Has anyone tried beeswax or a beeswax based grease? I'm eyeballing this Dax Beeswax with royal jelly...
    4a hair: Fall/Winter HG's
    Qhemet: Alma and Olive Heavy Cream, Cocoa Tree
    Curl Junkie: DF, CIAB, Honey Butta, Curl Reham
    Oyin: Honey Hemp, Sugar Berry
    Anita Grant: Creamy Cafe Latte, Rhassoul DC, Babassu Amla Shampoo Bar, Monoi De Tahiti
    Bee Mine: Curly Butter
    Other: Millenia Mud, Hicks Oil
    Homemade: Jamila Henna, Alba UnPetroleum Mix, Scalp Oil Blend, Aloe/Condish Spray, Condition Rinse (Aussie Moist & Mane and Tail)
    :happy6: : www.fotki.com/talisa3636