Nothing helps my protein-thirsty hair!

scrumptiousevascrumptiouseva Posts: 9Registered Users
So, I stumbled across this site about 2 months ago. I started CG with strictly moisture because I wasn't sure what my hair was lacking. Well, after about a month and a half of moisture (with minimal results), I tried a protein treatment. My hair LOVED it. And now, it can't get enough. Right now, I'm using Nexxus Emergencee once or twice a week (I could literally use it every day--but that's expensive!).

My co-wash is Suave Coconut.
RO is Giovanni Smooth As Silk Xtreme Protein.
I use SM Curl Smoothie (with Silk Protein) after I shower.

Nothing I use is good enough! The only time my hair feels really great is the day I use Emergencee (and I leave it in for about 30 minutes).

Does anyone have any suggestions for good conditioners (CO, RO or LI)? It seems there's a lot more products without protein than protein-rich stuff...or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

I have baby fine 2a hair, by the way.

Thanks, guys!

Comments

• VendraziVendrazi Posts: 17Registered Users
    My hair loves loves LOVES Aubrey Organics GPB (available at Whole Foods) -- I use this all the time.

Also at Whole Foods is Nature's Gate -- at least one of the conditioners has protein very high on the list of the ingredients, and it comes in a big bottle.

I don't know what protein-heavy conditioners are in regular drugstores. One thing you can do is get a big bottle of Neural Protein Filler from Sally (I bought it somewhere online, but I think it's available at Sally) and make yourself a protein spray that you can use on your hair any time.
    Hair: 3b-3c, fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

If I'd known curly hair could be this beautiful 20 years ago, I would have ruled the world.
  • scrumptiousevascrumptiouseva Posts: 9Registered Users
    Awesome! Thank you so much. I guess I'm going to Whole Foods today!
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I second the Aubrey GPB. Also have you tried using greek yogurt or eggs?
    Hmm...no I haven't. I read about the eggs but there were a lot of complaints about the hardening. But I have greek yogurt in my fridge as we speak! I will definitely give both of those a try. Thanks!
  • crazycurls@nyc[email protected] Posts: 38Registered Users
    I'm definitely going through the same thing. Discovered my hair loves protein, it seems to not get enough!!!! I had really good results with Emergencee but it is kinda pricey. AO GPB is also wonderful! I see the difference immediately when i use it. I will try the natures gate.....i am having a bit of a hard time getting 2nd day hair. Good luck with trial and error.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App

Everyone loves my hair but me, now it is time for me to learn to love it! Good bye blowdryer, hello curls :love2:
    • 3b, dry/frizzy, highly pourous, thin
    • Started CG: 6.23.11
    • cowash/leave in: Suave Naturals coconut & TS Naturals & TJ Tea Tree Tingle
    • Styling: LALG, Shea Moisture Curly Smoothie
    • Hope to find the perfect routine to bring out the best in this head of hair, embrace the natural and love it!:idea1:
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A homemade gelatin treatment is much like the Nexxus one, only ever so much more affordable.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html
    There's also Ion Effective care protein treatment from Sally's and Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (Sally's) which you can add to conditioners, styling products, or put in a spray bottle and spray on.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you need a hard hit of protein, try the one IAgirl posted using the blow dryer method. Worked wonders for my dry, fine hair. Also, use protein daily. Things to try are spiral solutions, ion effective care (sally's has cheap trial packets) as a leave in, ecostyler, giovanni direct leave in, etc.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Tried IAGirl's PT and I LOVE it. Works just as well as Emergencee without the price. I don't feel guilty about using it more than once a week!

Thanks for all the input guys!

AO GPB was out of stock at my local Whole Foods...hopefully I'll have that soon!
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ditto the gelatin treatment!!!

Also GVP k-Pak from Sally's is very good!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file