Shea Moisture Products?

jcfrizzlejcfrizzle Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm really tempted to try these products but I dont know what I would get! Let me know what has worked or not with you and how you use it!
Love my auburn 3b/3c curls!! Favorite products are Treseme Naturals conditioner and DevaCare ArcAngel(<---miracle for definition!) I really just want to GROW MY HAIR OUT!! It's not really working...

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I have tried the Moisture Retention shampoo and the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. The Moisture Retention shampoo was great for a little while, but it really doesn't clean that well, and it left my hair feeling kinda buildup-y. I didn't like the smell too much, either (it's very flowery-smelling, and the scent doesn't fade easily), and it made me itchy. :( It was super duper moisturizing and very, very gentle and rich, though. I'm sure it would work great for someone who just needs a very gentle cleanse and has super dry hair, but it just wasn't working well for me.
    The Smoothie is pretty cool, but not something I would repurchase because I find that some straight oil can do pretty much the same thing, and I could probably make my own concoction at home for less money. :) I haven't tried it as a LI yet, so I can't say how it works for that purpose. I have tried it for SOTC'ing, and I really like it for that purpose. I have also mixed it in with some LOOB to use halfway through diffusing (a la Smasters method), and it worked REALLY well then and left my hair nice and soft. I like mixing it with some other products, either on first day or second day, and it always leaves me with super soft, lovely hair. :) It can be a little heavy, though, so a very little goes a long way and I wouldn't really recommend it for very fine hair or not-so-dry hair.

I hope that whatever you get works out really well for you!! Good luck!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • fonkifonki Posts: 353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used SMCEM as a leave in (4 the 1st time today) and it worked really well. But I've bn indoors all day

Also as a refresher for 2nd/3rd hair day which worked quite nicely.
  • swansinaprilswansinapril Posts: 117Registered Users
    I love them. The only thing i didn't like was the reconstructive elixir since my hair doesn't like oils. My favorites are the curl enhancing smoothie, the deep treatment masque, and their shampoos!
    Very coarse, thick, porous 3B. My biggest challenge is SOFTNESS and SHINE.

Current shampoo: Biosilk w/ added vitamin E
    Current conditioner: Lush Okra :love5:
    Leave-ins: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, KCCC
    CG didn't work for me. Oils don't work for me. Trying hard to learn how to love my hair. Read my blog.
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Didn't work for me. I tried the deep treatment masque -- was ok. Not much slip and I didn't care for the smell. I used it with the smoothie which I initially loved but it gradually made my hair hard and dry! I wanted to love these products but the glycerin and proteins was not good for my hair (coarse in high dews).
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • jcfrizzlejcfrizzle Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the info! This will definitely give me an idea on Shea Moisture.
    Love my auburn 3b/3c curls!! Favorite products are Treseme Naturals conditioner and DevaCare ArcAngel(<---miracle for definition!) I really just want to GROW MY HAIR OUT!! It's not really working...
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Moisture Retention Shampoo & Conditioner worked well but smelled so strong that I threw both of them out. Even my husband complained that it gave him a headache and he had not even used it. You could smell it through the house.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The only SM product I've tried is the Smoothie. I think I've only used it a couple times and one is when I just used it as a leave-in w/ no other product.

I don't think it has any curl/wave enhancing properties, at least not for me. Jury is still out on this!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was really tempted too, but with mixed reviews, and the fact that they are above my low budget might make me pass. $11.99 for a shampoo is a little spendy for me - I'm used to Sally Beauty Supply prices with their GVP products at $5-$6 per bottle(both shampoo and conditioners). Back to Sally it is, because I'm just about out of some stuff.
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Shea Moisture hair and baby products are on sale now thru Nov 5 at walgreens Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Buy one at $9.99,get one 50% off
  • CFcurlsCFcurls Posts: 24Registered Users
    I just tried the Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Souffle (I bought it BOGO from Walgreens)... it was a consistency similar to KCCC but it was a bit thinner so I had some hope for this product.

Results were terrible, as I feel my hair now it feels like someone put really tacky glue all in my hair. I tried to scrunch out the crunch in my hair, and I can't.. also my hair is completely dry now but it still feels sticky.. gross! I'm returning this mess tomorrow and getting a second jar of the smoothie which works really well for me. :sad7:

(FYI here are the ingredients in the Curling Souffle)
    Aqueous Infusion of Agave Teqilana Leaf Extract and Sugar Cane Extract, Pectin, Vegetable Glycerin, Adansonia Digitata Pulp (Baobab) Extract, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Panthenol, Aloe Extract, Vitamin E, Flax Seed Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Essential Oil Blend
    3a/3b/3c medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity, medium-high density

No-Poo: Keracare cleansing conditioner, Suave naturals, rhassoul clay
    Seal: Jojoba oil, JC N&S, EVCO
    Stylers: KCCC, SS CEJ, Eco Styler argan oil gel
    DT: Currently doing a Ayurvedic routine with - Godrej Nupur 9-herb blend powder, variety of Ayurvedic herbs: Brahmi, Shikakai, Aloe Vera, Methi (fenugreek), Bhringraj, Amla, Neem, Hibiscus

Oils i'm really liking ATM: Vatika oil, Bhringraj oil, Emu oil
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've heard the coconut and hibiscus ones are terrible!!

I have the moisture retention shampoo, (more of a cleanser, really), moisture replenish conditioner (which I use as a LI because it doesn't have good slip, but is VERY moisturizing, and my hair LOVES it as a LI!), and I have the elixer (which I honestly haven't used much yet), and the mask, which I haven't tried at all yet.

Walgreens' website has a "kit" that gives you a 4oz size of the shampoo and condish, and full sized (also 4oz - but that's the normal size) of the elixer and mask. It's about $20, and is a good way to give it a try if you don't want to buy a whole 12oz bottle. (And you want to give the elixer and mask a try).

I totally expected to hate them, but I really like the shampoo and condish! I do still use a stronger low-poo every 7-10 days, and once in a while I do a clarifying wash. (Maybe once a month? Twice, if needed.)
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Novice
    Well I just started using the line on my dauther's natural hair because we were still looking for a product that gave her much need mositure, but a product that was also Glycerin free because it ultimately dries her hair out something terrible. I used the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk and I was very pleased with the results I got. I apply it to damp hair and rake it thru her hair...every time I have used it her hair came out soft and moisturized! I have not had a product make her hair that soft before and I have tried A LOT. The product doesn't provide a lot of shine or hold of curl definition, but I wasn't really looking for that. My battle for moisture is OVER!!! Next I want to try the Curl Enhancing Smoothie to see if I get better shine results, but I'm definitely sticking with this line. Also another good thing I noticed was on the Target Website the product is listed as containing Isopropyl Myristate, but on the bottle I have it isn't listed, but Shea Butter and Dionized Water are...weird side note...oh well.
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use the cocnut & hibiscus styling products. The milk as a moisturizer after washing; the smoothie as a moisturizer daily(small amount); the souffle as a gel on my ends(small amounts); the moisture retention shampoo; the restorative conditioner as a co wash/ rinse out; the deep treatment mask as a deep conditioner (20 min). I like everything but the deep treatment mask.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • queenteequeentee Posts: 49Registered Users
    I absolutely love Shea Moisture. I started off using Carols Daughter while I was transitioning & when I first BC'd but CD did more for my relaxed air than for my natural hair. I tried the Smoothie first & fell in love. Then I went out & bought the kit, the coconut & hibiscus. I love the shampoo it doesn't take much. I haven't used the milk too much bc my hair doesn't need it, it does find w/o. The spray is ok, its good for after my hair is dry to add a little shine. I bought the full size conditioner in the Yucca & Baobab & I love it. If it was cheaper I'd use it as my daily cowash conditioner but Suave does the job. I also love the smell of the Yucca & Baobob, I have the mask too but I've only used it twice...Idk if I like it better than the CD tui hair Smoothie (smells delish, loved it but I ran out & wanted to try this). I just purchased the Souffle & I love it w/the right dews. I heard a lot of negative things about it but it does my hair just fine, better than the EcoStyler (I have a huge jar of the argan oil kind, hopefully I'll have use for it as my hair grows). It doesn't take much to do the job. I never used the Smoothie & Souffle together, I use one or the other. Sorry for such a long post. Ô_ô
    But I love Shea Moisture. This is the only line I use. Hope this helped some.

Sent from my Eris using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file