No volume, Dull curly hair :(

Curls4mNo2WoahCurls4mNo2Woah Posts: 40Registered Users
Hi everyone! So I'm having a hair problem that's really discouraging me. Before starting the CG method, my hair looked like the picture below. That was actually a great hair day because it was curly, not as frizzy as it usually is, and I don't know how or why that happened haha:

curly.jpg

After starting the no poo method, it seems like my hair isn't really different. I've bought the following products and threw out all damaging hair products I owned:

As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner
As I Am Curling Jelly Coil and Curl Definer
As I Am Smoothing Gel

Let me say that I don't really use the smoothing gel. I've tried diffusing so that I can get volume, and it just won't happen! :( It's sad because I really want nice hair with volume, and I'm so lost. I recently stumbled across this youtuber, and when I saw her hair, I said oh my gosh, that how I want my hair to look!

hair care part two: my hair care routine for curly hair - YouTube

She says her hair goes down to her waist. My hair is sort of long, as you can see in my picture. I've heard length brings the hair down causing less volume. What are your thoughts and opinions? I would love to have hairs like hers. If you have any product recommendations or routines you'd like to share, it would be much appreciated <3
Using the CG Method since October 2011 :headbang:

3a curly hair, Mid-back length
High porosity, protein craving
Some of my fave products:
-DevaCurl No Poo/Giovanni Tee Tree Triple Treat
-Suave Naturals Condish
-LI: DevaCurl One Condition
-Stylers: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel/Frizz Free Volumizing Foam/Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets (not all at once :wink: )

Learning to embrace my curls one step at a time

Comments

• curliesue_curliesue_ Posts: 3Registered Users
    Oh.My.God!!! She is so my hair twin :wave:
  • Curls4mNo2WoahCurls4mNo2Woah Posts: 40Registered Users
    :toothy10: Yay!! Do you use any products?

-Suave Naturals Condish
    -Stylers: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel/Frizz Free Volumizing Foam/Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets (not all at once :wink: )

• curliesue_curliesue_ Posts: 3Registered Users
    I use lots of products, Im in the UK but I use a lot of Curl Junkie Products.

I use various products but always follow the same routine:

Cowash (twice monthly low poo)
    Protein Free Rinse Out
    Leave in (GFRS, CJCCCC or similar)
    Supersoak
    Homemade FSG with Epsom Salts - always without fail!
    Gel (Umberto Gianni Curl Friends or BRHG or Aloe Fix Lite)
    Scrunch with a towel then pixie diffuse til 80% dry and leave to dry.

Every night after washing I scrunch a hair milk followed by a whipped butter (Anita Grant) and don my satin bonnet.

If I get frizz I apply CJ CIAB in the morning on dry hair

Every day my hair gets curlier and curlier, I dont know if I dont use enough products on the first day :dontknow:

But it goes like this whatever I use :blob5:
  • ItsRainingCurlzItsRainingCurlz Posts: 114Registered Users
    wow... her hair is beautiful! I'm surprised she has such pretty and hydrated looking curls even though she 'poos everyday!

some girls have all the luck:roll:

haha and to your question: I do think that some of your problem might be your lenght?? ever thought of getting layers?

also, are you diffusing? if you diffuse, try doing it with your hair upside down

other than that, you should also know that what works for some curlies doesn't always work for thers and you have to get to know your hair by trial and error.... if you aproach it with the right attitude it can be fun! lol good luck!

ETA: ok I just saw a more recent video of her...and her hair looks far more dry and damaged...it might be cuz she dyes it and straightens a lot...I knew 'poo everyday and beautiful hair couldnt be! lol sorry just had to add this
    3A Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity
    CG since August 2010 and loving it :wink:
    Currently loving: Giovanni's tea tree low 'poo(once a week), GVP Conditioning Balm or Nubian Heritage Coconut and Papaya Conditioner, Honey DT's, Honey in my gel:P
    Style: Gel Biosilk's Hardrock Gelee(my HG) OR Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curl Mousse or Alba Botanical Strong Hold Gel

Loves me some VOLUME So no clumps here, Thanks!
    wow... her hair is beautiful! I'm surprised she has such pretty and hydrated looking curls even though she 'poos everyday!

haha and to your question: I do think that some of your problem might be your lenght?? ever thought of getting layers?

also, are you diffusing? if you diffuse, try doing it with your hair upside down

other than that, you should also know that what works for some curlies doesn't always work for thers and you have to get to know your hair by trial and error.... if you aproach it with the right attitude it can be fun! lol good luck!

ETA: ok I just saw a more recent video of her...and her hair looks far more dry and damaged...it might be cuz she dyes it and straightens a lot...I knew 'poo everyday and beautiful hair couldnt be! lol sorry just had to add this

Speaking of beautiful hair, I LOVE yours! :/ I want mine to be like yours!!!! The problem is I don't want to cut it so short, I like long hair. Also, I don't have enough money to go to expensive salons that specialize in curly hair :sad:

I have tried to diffuse, but it's the same as air drying.

-Suave Naturals Condish

Speaking of beautiful hair, I LOVE yours! :/ I want mine to be like yours!!!! The problem is I don't want to cut it so short, I like long hair. Also, I don't have enough money to go to expensive salons that specialize in curly hair :sad:

I have tried to diffuse, but it's the same as air drying.

wow thanks now im blushing :oops::shock:;)
    I love long hair as well, but love big hair more ;) so I compromised by cutting my top layers only, and the bottom one gets to grow as long as it wants:idea1:

I understand what you're saying though...you're not willing to make that compromise....

have you ever tried mousse? its lighter, and a good one that i use sometimes is herbal essences totally twisted...its cone free. also, like i said you'll have to do a lot of experimenting to see what works for your hair...ever tried less product?

also, when your hair is completely dry, try flipping your hair upside down, and VERY gently, and carefully run your finger tips back and forth in your ROOTs only, and also, scrunch your hair alittle bit, it should help break the cast if your using gel, or any other porducts...not sure if you're doing this yet?

also...(sorry this is so long) ever tried doing the clips on your roots while your hair is drying?
    Currently loving: Giovanni's tea tree low 'poo(once a week), GVP Conditioning Balm or Nubian Heritage Coconut and Papaya Conditioner, Honey DT's, Honey in my gel:P
    Style: Gel Biosilk's Hardrock Gelee(my HG) OR Beyond The Zone Noodle Head Curl Mousse or Alba Botanical Strong Hold Gel

I know what you mean. I love big hair as well. IMO, it's what makes curly hair awesome. I have never seen anyone with 'ugly' hair when it's nice and big and hydrated lol. I would compromise cutting my hair for the volume, but I feel like my face is too long. long and wide. That's one reason why I hate taking pictures lol. So I feel like long and wide faces don't match with big curly hair. I don't feel like my face matches with anything :X

Before I went no-poo CG, I did try the herbal essences mousse. But I don't know, it never helped my hair look pretty. Then again, I was severely mistreating my hair back then. I might buy it again, but I heard mousses with pumps instead of the dispensers like herbal essences is better. Any opinions on that statement?

I've never clipped my roots lol. Does it really help?

-Suave Naturals Condish

I know what you mean. I love big hair as well. IMO, it's what makes curly hair awesome. I have never seen anyone with 'ugly' hair when it's nice and big and hydrated lol. I would compromise cutting my hair for the volume, but I feel like my face is too long. long and wide. That's one reason why I hate taking pictures lol. So I feel like long and wide faces don't match with big curly hair. I don't feel like my face matches with anything :X

Before I went no-poo CG, I did try the herbal essences mousse. But I don't know, it never helped my hair look pretty. Then again, I was severely mistreating my hair back then. I might buy it again, but I heard mousses with pumps instead of the dispensers like herbal essences is better. Any opinions on that statement?

I've never clipped my roots lol. Does it really help?

Yes, I always try things a second time when something in my regimen has changed...cant hurt right :P Not sure about that statement about the pump?, I never heard that...

If you don't wanna try the Herbal Essences, there's another one that I've been dying to try by Aveda... BUT I'm only going by the recommendation of another curlie (who's username I can't recall at the moment) but Aveda has pretty good natural products, so I'm sallivating after it lol. However, it is on the more expensive side

Clipping your roots: some curlies swear by it...personally when I did it it did help, but i found it bothersome since I like to diffuse my hair upside down most of the time and they got hot, and tangled and a mess:oops: lol so its up to you...like I said a lot of experimenting :mrgreen:

• bbunnycurliesbbunnycurlies Posts: 40Registered Users
    Try the pantene curly mousse. It keeps frizz away and adds some nice volume!! Favorite mousse ever!! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file