Dry skin around eye area.

.AmyP..AmyP. Posts: 66Registered Users
Hello,

So I'm just about at my witts end with this. I have persistent dry flaky skin around my eyes (under and above). My Skin is very very sensitive so it's hard to find a product that doesn't make it flare up instantly. My Dermotologist gave me a 1% cortisone cream but I find that simply makes it red and flakier.

I exfoliate often and hydrate my face with Olay cream for sensitive skin.

Have any of you had this problem in the past? If so, how have you dealt with it?
*Amy

Mod CG since 06/02/2011
Hair type: 2b/2c, medium texture, low porosity
LowPoo: Esencia by Samy Volumizing Shampoo
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals
RO: GFTN
Aussie Aussome Volume Gel, LOOB

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
  • .AmyP..AmyP. Posts: 66Registered Users
    Very interesting! I've never heard of this condition before. I do display a few of the symptoms; however, I do not have the cysts or the gritty feeling in my eyes. The dryness is concentrated to the top and corners of my eyes.

Thanks for the info.
    *Amy

Mod CG since 06/02/2011
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you been diagnosed with anything?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • .AmyP..AmyP. Posts: 66Registered Users
    My dermatologist first diagnosed me with eczema because I had a mild case of it as a child. After the creams she gave me did not work she told me I had Atopic dermatitis. This kind of seems like a catch-all diagnosis. The subsequent creams and ointments she's given me for this have not worked.
    *Amy

Mod CG since 06/02/2011
  • cacoanoircacoanoir Posts: 10Registered Users
    So a few ideas: I have a similar problem worsened with cold weather and wind. At sephora they sell a cream by Ophthalmolgea that's a deeply hydrating mild eye cream. Use it religiously day and night for at least 4 weeks.

Check your towels you dry your face with. Check your detergent you use on them and try something mild and free of scents. Try to let your eyes just air dry if possible. Don't put any towel on them.

Do you use a mask at night to sleep? If so, stop

Look at your eye makeup and try to not use any for at least 2weeks if not more. If that helps, bring back one product at a time

Exfoliating will likely worsen the problem. Hydrocortisone is a short term fix and not a long term solution anyway.

And never ever ever rub your eyes!

Hope that helps
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I feel for you. I am battling something similar myself. My primary, my eye doc and my derm all say eczema. It's on both eyelids in the inner corners and the patch gets larger as it moves up to the eyebrow. Occasionally I have it on outer corners of my eyes(eczema) too. It itches, its sore and if I scratch too much, it will bleed. Just generally sucks! I am going back to the derm next week because it isn't getting better and I can't use steroid creams long term.

Temporarily the only thing that helps is Vaseline. It seems to be the only thing that soothes it. The eczema creams (non steroid) seem to make it worse and I agree about avoiding makeup. I pretty much only wear mascara anymore. Eyeshadow just hurts too much.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file