Hair doesn't grow in the back?

jcfrizzlejcfrizzle Registered Users Posts: 90 Curl Neophyte
So my hair seems to do everything in it's power to defy me when I'm trying to grow it out. The hair framing my face grows slowly, but there is growth over all. The hair at the back of my head doesn't grow! In fact, I think it has even been shrinking up more than normal!!! I don't know what to do. I don't want to cut the hair at the front of my face, but I don't want it to be longer than the hair at the back!
Love my auburn 3b/3c curls!! Favorite products are Treseme Naturals conditioner and DevaCare ArcAngel(<---miracle for definition!) I really just want to GROW MY HAIR OUT!! It's not really working...

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Do you have any pictures?
  • Stormy1958Stormy1958 Registered Users Posts: 99
    All hair grows, it just may seem slow :) I know people whose front hair grows slower than the back, or middle. Your situation reminds me of how my mom and I get breakage in the back because of clothes (coats, collars, hoodies, etc) and all the friction they cause. How often do you wear your hair down? As mine is getting longer I'm getting more breakage from the contact on clothes. So Im giving myself a protective style challenge to retain length.
    "The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do, and who will be sharing the adventure with them." -Denis Watley

event.png
    *From Training*
  • cysycacysyca Registered Users Posts: 362
    Are you sleeping with a silk or satin scarf on your head? Always wrap your hair up at night (even if you take a nap) and never let your cotton pillowcase touch your hair.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Live For Today!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    I have the same issue. The hair around my face definitely grows faster than the hair in the back of my head. And the hair in the back is more tightly curled, too.

I just have to cut the front more often. Screwy, eh?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlycandy3curlycandy3 Registered Users Posts: 219
    I have this problem, too, my canopy grows way faster than the hair underneath. I, too, just get those parts cut more regularly and make sure I'm protecting the hair that grows slower ie, scarves, satin pillow cases, soft scrunchies instead of rough hair ties. You'd be surprised the difference it makes.

Since I started being carfeul with my under layers, they've tightened from 3a/3b spirals to tight, dense 3c corkies, and it seemed like they weren't growing at all. But when I straightened it for the first time in 8 months, that hair was at least 3 times its curly length! I was amazed! Lol

I also have my top layers cut very piecey and dramatic (I have a dramatic personality, so I just work it ;)) but eventually my cute 80's rocker cut always turns into a christmas tree. *sigh* such is life as a curly.

Sorry about the long response, but growing out is one of my main goals and passions for my curls :) Good luck and remember, no matter how slow, your hair wil always grow :)

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    Southeast Michigan
    *Whatever makes my curls happy* since 01/2011
    3b/c/a Thick, Medium/Coarse, Normal Porosity & Elasticity, Dyed.
    Kind of starting from scratch...
    Cleanse: various low-poos (still searching)
    Condish: Aura Cherry Almond Bark (but always on the look-out)
    DT: SMDTM
    Styling: LI, curl cream, gel. Insert various products appropriately.
    I <3: Coconut & Argan oil, my Denman, a neat side-braid.
    "Oh, you were going to straighten it? I just like it curly so much better..."
    Oh! And I take biotin and vitamin E. I don't know if its one thing or the other, or if its my combined efforts, but something's working! :)

Southeast Michigan
  • BleachedCurlsBleachedCurls Registered Users Posts: 56
    cysyca wrote: »
    Are you sleeping with a silk or satin scarf on your head? Always wrap your hair up at night (even if you take a nap) and never let your cotton pillowcase touch your hair.

wait is cotton bad? Because I use 100% cotton shirts on my hair instead of towels when I get out of the shower...
    currently using:
    5,000 MCG Biotin,
    VO5 Moisture Milks
    Clairol Shimmer Lights Blonde & Silver CO (once every two weeks)
    LALSG

fine bleached 2a/3b hair that doesn't actually curl, it's just like an S shape that just gets tighter. sometimes some of it curls underneath though. :happy10:
    cysyca wrote: »

wait is cotton bad? Because I use 100% cotton shirts on my hair instead of towels when I get out of the shower...

I use t-shirts too, they're different though because they're a "jersery knit" which is tighter and smoother. I think the reason the satin case is better is because your hair will slip around instead of getting caught. The tshirt after the shower is okay cause you're not just rubbing you're head around in it ;)

Southeast Michigan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file