Why am I getting buildup with Lo Poo?

CurlyQ82CurlyQ82 Registered Users Posts: 51
I recently switched to the modified CG method but trying the Devacare Lo poo shampoo and their arcangel gel...I still am using up my paul mitchell daily moisture conditioner...i occasionally still use up my ouidad heat and humidity gel...I found after a week or so with the lo poo i felt i had build up...Is that b/c im using too heavy a conditioner (maybe it has cones) and/or gel? Does anyone have this experience and/or know of a good conditioner to lo poo with? Do you have to wash with regular sulfate shampoo once in a while to get the build up out if you are getting it? Very confused, help is appreciated :mrgreen:

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I don't use cones but I still get buildup from oils. You might check the amount of oils in your conditioners and stylers especially if you use it every day. Also all sulfate shampoos aren't equal. I find some don't do the job for removing all the product from my hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • debbahdebbah Registered Users Posts: 48
    I think the Ouidad gel has 'cones, which may cause the buildup.
    CG since September 2011

Type: 2c/3a
    Texture: medium-ish
    Porosity: normal to low
    Density: THICK!

Co-wash: OC
    Cond/Leave-in: OC
    Style: MOP Curl Defining Cream, Angel, Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    SOTC: MOP Glisten pomade, Aveda Humectant Pomade

Looking for: good curl definition, clumping and no frizz

http://momwhoworks.wordpress.com
  • CurlyQ82CurlyQ82 Registered Users Posts: 51
    I think you're right about the oils adthomas...and debbah that may be the problem with the ouidad...It's so hard to go through all the ingredients and find a good conditioner that has no silicones or oils that works for you...i guess im on a search unless anyone has any raving reviews right now? :thumbright:
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Registered Users Posts: 573
    Some of Ouidad's products build up like crazy on my hair. The Tress Effects gel is one of the worst for me, but the very worst is the Styling Mist. I used these before CG because I thought they were good for curly hair, but after using only CG products, the difference is striking. Now I know it's not just silicones, but wheat protein is a nasty culprit in my hair destruction. I don't think Tress Effects has silicones, but it's loaded with wheat proteins, and they act like a coating of dessicant on my hair.

Ouidad's Clear & Gentle Shampoo used to turn my hair into a ball of straw, but I thought "that's just the way it is"...eek! I've been using No-Poo, or One Condition for cleansing, and I still want to bonk myself upside the head every time I rinse. I haven't tried Lo-Poo (yet) but my guess is your build-up is from your other products. Have you tried One Condition (DevaCurl)? I used to think Ouidad's Balancing Rinse was great until I tried OC. I cannot believe how much my hair loves this stuff! Also Kinky Curly Knot Today is a fantastic conditioner and it doesn't have glycerin or heavy oils.
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • MsCurlyDocMsCurlyDoc Registered Users Posts: 5
    Well not sure about the Lo Poo scanning processing of hair. However I think that you use a AV rinse after that should clean things up.
    :idea:
  • CurlyQ82CurlyQ82 Registered Users Posts: 51
    Garden its either my conditioner or that ouidad heat and humidity gel...its a shame b/c the gel works nicely initially but it builds up...i have not tried the one condition b/c i did not want to get tied up into the whole line being its so expensive, but i may break down if i dont find something good...i think im going to search the drug store and spend some time reading the back of the bottles...a lot of people keep mentioning suave naturals--is that conditioner free of all that bad stuff? curly knot sold on here??

Mscurlydoc, is AV apple vinegar rinse? do you just rinse with straight AV?
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Registered Users Posts: 573
    CurlyQ82, it may be different with your hair, but I would have to use half a bottle of Suave conditioner to cleanse my hair, and then I'd still need a finishing conditioner...so I'm not sure if that would be cost-effective. With One Condition, I use 4 pumps for a rinse-out, and 1/4 to 1/2 pump as a leave-in, so the bottle will last for a couple of months. Also, I think One Condition (around $35.00 for 32 oz.), costs less per ounce than Paul Mitchell Daily Moisture, (which has sulfate, silicones and henna).

I don't think my hair is healthy enough for Suave, yet, so that may be my issue. I tried a recommended Suave conditioner (Coconut), and my hair seemed to feel kind of "coated", and the Suave didn't detangle well. But - I only tried it once, because it was in the shower at my mother-in-law's, and I think I used 2 weeks worth at once to feel like I was cleansing my hair. (I bought her a new bottle.)

Ouidad Heat & Humidity gel does have Dimethicone, and I noticed it also has henna and protein. Both henna and protein seem to build up on my hair, and make it straw-like.

Your build-up is probably from both the gel and the conditioner, and maybe No-Poo or Low-Poo aren't formulated to remove that type of coating. About a week after starting CG I did a wash with Pure Curls Clarifying Shampoo, just to make sure all the gunk was gone. I could feel the difference!

I have to say that my hair is truly the kind of hair the whole "CG" thing seems tailor-made for, plus my hair isn't too good with protein, so my results could be way different from yours.:goofy:
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file