Hair pattern changing?

Prototype_KPrototype_K Posts: 59Registered Users
A week ago I straightened my hair because I just needed to take a break from curly. A few days ago I decided to go back to transitioning (from heat damage, oh the irony). But I noticed a huge change in some parts of my hair, I don't know if it's permanent of temporary. But I applied the egg & olive oil treatment before I co-washed & decided to try separating my hair with my fingers instead of combing it because I seem to shed way too much in my opinion (I know it's normal but I want to minimize it).
As I was separating my hair I noticed that my hair was actually curlier than before. My curl pattern is somewhat of an S shape & it sometimes wants to go all spiral but the whole back-bottom part of my hair were all spiral, tiny sherly temple curls & tighter too. Also the top-front part of my hair has the most heat damage & even the heat damaged hair which is usually pin straight even when wet, got a little wavy & some strands even got a little 3A curl to it.
I didn't think of it till I started tying my hair up now, but wouldn't my curls be looser?

ALSO: I did use a new different conditioner this time, I used the tresseme flawless curls moisturizing conditioner. First time using it. I know it has silicones in it but maybe my hair likes it huh?

I don't know, I'd just like to hear some thoughts :D

Comments

• MartigrasMartigras Posts: 26Registered Users
    Something similar to this happens to me as well. I think it has to do with how smooth your hair gets once it's straightened. Normally our hair type tends to be frizzier and the smoothing from the straightening iron promotes better clumping and smoother curl patterns.
    I enjoy the first wash after straightening but I would not recommend doing this often, because your hair could permanently straighten. However something that gives you that similar smooth pattern is to do a twist-out: brush your hair with a leave-in right before twisting, let them air dry for a full day, and then when you decide to wash again, you get similar results. I hope this helps you!
    CG with the occasional organic sulfate-free shampoo

coarse, dense, semi-porous curls ranging from 3b-4a

Shampoo: Renpure Organics Moisturizing Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    Rinse-out: Suave Professionals Humectant, GFTT, Tressemme Naturals Moisture
    Leave-in: Suave Naturals, V05, GFTT
    Styler:LALSG, HE Set Me Up Gel and Tousle Me Softly Mousse
    Sealer: Cantu Shea Butter, Jojoba oil, Coconut oil, EVOO
    Moisture Deep-treatment: Condish+EVOO+Honey+Coconut oil
  • Prototype_KPrototype_K Posts: 59Registered Users
    I'll try it, thank you!
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    sometimes it takes a little bit of time for hair to revert back to our usual texture

Don't worry it will come back to normal...it may take another couple of washes though.
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlieJayCurlieJay Posts: 24Registered Users
    A week ago I straightened my hair because I just needed to take a break from curly. A few days ago I decided to go back to transitioning (from heat damage, oh the irony). But I noticed a huge change in some parts of my hair, I don't know if it's permanent of temporary. But I applied the egg & olive oil treatment before I co-washed & decided to try separating my hair with my fingers instead of combing it because I seem to shed way too much in my opinion (I know it's normal but I want to minimize it).
    As I was separating my hair I noticed that my hair was actually curlier than before. My curl pattern is somewhat of an S shape & it sometimes wants to go all spiral but the whole back-bottom part of my hair were all spiral, tiny sherly temple curls & tighter too. Also the top-front part of my hair has the most heat damage & even the heat damaged hair which is usually pin straight even when wet, got a little wavy & some strands even got a little 3A curl to it.
    I didn't think of it till I started tying my hair up now, but wouldn't my curls be looser?

ALSO: I did use a new different conditioner this time, I used the tresseme flawless curls moisturizing conditioner. First time using it. I know it has silicones in it but maybe my hair likes it huh?

I don't know, I'd just like to hear some thoughts :D

This is why i dont straighten Anymore. I used to get worried if it didnt revert back right away. Now it may revert back or it might only revert some not all the way. I would recomend that the next time u need a break maybe try a rollerset. Thats what i did after a year and a half of not straightening. It got my hair pretty smooth and was more managable. And everytime i combed my hair out the bounce and curl would come back. I really enjoyed it more than the old straight look. And when it was time to wash there was no heat damage whatsoever! The curls just popped back :) well i hope your hair reverts all the way and good luck on your transition from HD. Im doing the same:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file