What can I use for curl enhancement and better hold?

CurlyStephieCurlyStephie Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi there,

Okay here are the things I am using with moderate success:

1. Deva Curl No Poo
2. Heaven in Hair for DT
3. One condish for leave in

For Styling I have tried the following:

1. Homemade FSG alone
2. FSG with honey (got slightly better hold)
3. Deva Curl AnGEl
4. Deva Curl BLeavin
5. Deva Curl Set it Free
6. Deva Curl Set up and Above

No matter what combination I use, I find that my hair can curl up nicely, only to lose the curl mid way through the day and it gets frizzy and sometimes poofy

OR if I manage to get better hold and it keeps the curl throughout the day, it's only when I've put so much product on that my hair feels a bit "gunky" and not shiny. My hair is dry so I guess part of this equation might be helped as I go further along on my CG Journey (I'm only two weeks into this -- and three months post Brazillian Blowout!)

FSG and honey alone gave me beautiful curls when I first took them out of the PLOP, but they didn't hold at all until I added some Deva products.

I need CURL ENHANCEMENT and more HOLD and FRIZZ control too.

Help? I've never tried any other curl products. I also haven't yet tried adding Mag Sulfate and/or any other additions to the FSG but am open to suggestions!

Also, I wonder about the CJ line, and many of the others I've read about here! :toothy7: Thanks to any and all advice, ladies! I've learned a LOT here so far and I appreciate all of the great knowledge!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]CG since Oct. 5, 2011
http://public.fotki.com/curlystephie/
Had two Brazillian Blowouts (last one on 6/30/11)
Curly all of my life but I don't know if I"m a 3a or 3b or both?:dontknow:
I love plopping.
CJ CIAB is a HG for me :blob8:
Trying out CJ conditioners.
Make my own FSG using honey, fote, and mag oil.
Deva Curl "No Poo" "One Conditioner" "Heaven In Hair" "Bleaven" "AnGel" and "Set up and above"
Need more CURL ENHANCEMENT and HOLD and FRIZZ CONTROL!

Comments

• CurlyStephieCurlyStephie Posts: 62Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, and one last note -- before having children my hair was super curly and low frizz. Often had even 3rd and 4th day hair with minimal effort. SIGH, those were the days. After babies my hair got wavier, less curly, and frizzier. That's why I resorted to blowing it out, and eventually, doing two Brazillian Blowouts :-(

Do you think that it's possible to get your "old hair" back when going CG? Also, how long did it take for you more experienced curlies to see positive changes in your hair once going CG?

Thanks in advance! Stephanie
    I love plopping.
    Deva Curl "No Poo" "One Conditioner" "Heaven In Hair" "Bleaven" "AnGel" and "Set up and above"
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most of us start out with Deva, think we like it and then move on to other things. A few things that will help you achieve the curls and keep them are getting a good haircut with long layers (the weight of hair won't pull out curls) and getting the moisture/protein balance right. After that it's using the right techniques.

My hair prefers the more natural products. I started as a winter wavy/summer 3a. Never used anything but shampoo/conditioner until finding this website. Now my hair looks like my signature picture every day. It's the curliest it's been in my whole life.

Your hair may be damaged from the BB, so you may not achieve your optimal curl until the damaged hair grows out. PTs and DTs should help, but may not bring it back entirely.

It would also help to determine you texture and porosity. It's more helpful in determining products/ingredients to use. There's a sticky at the top of one of the forums with a thread about it. Once you determine your texture and porosity, you can look for others with hair like yours and see what they use (most have it in signature.) It's a good place to start.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,342Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with all kathymac said. however, don't go too crazy with the texture/porosity, it can be confusing, so just a general idea is good enough. like, if you are fine texture rather than coarse, or if you are in the middle, normal, or normal with some fine or coarse. i'd say at least know the general direction, ie,fine or coarse (btw, many stylist tell curly girls they have coarse hair, when most curlies have fine hair.)
    the moisture/protein balance is very helpful too, especially if you have fine hair.
    if you are thinking about wanting to try other lines, kathymac does carry samples of many of them. you specifically named curl junkie, you can go onto cj website and read the 'selection guide' section for some help, and you can always email marsha (the owner) if you are confused. and, you can buy cj products on aveyou.com and save $$, there is a code that changes. if you need help with that, let us know. they also carry deva products.
    and, a good cut can help with the curl. there is a thread in the salon forum, 'what to ask your stylist' that gives lots of info on haircuts. as km mentioned, you may have some damage to your hair from the bb and need to wait til it is all grown out to get back all the curl.
    one question i always have in my head when women say they are less curly now -- is it the change in hormones, or is it the change in routine? ie, did you used to air dry and now diffuse or just blow dry? that will loosen the curl, too.
    your hair is pretty in the photos, so i think you are already starting at a great place.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Kathymac and Rbb,

THank you both so much for the responses. Here are some answers to your quesitons:

1. I had a haircut by a "Devacurl" haircutter. She did more of a trim than a cut, though she took a decent amount off of the bottom as she said it was thinner there. That haircut was PRIOR to the pics I posted.

2. My hair was definitely more curly before babies. In fact, I lost a lot of curl after my first child, then when I got pregnant with my second, it all came back. It was amazing. I was so happy! Then, after I finished breast feeding my second child -- the curl went limp again :cry:

3. I did the "porosity" test with the hair in the water glass thing. My hair NEVER sank -- which makes me think it's low porosity. Also, it takes a lot of water to get my hair wet. However -- the confusing part is that the hairdresser said it took a LOT of product when coloring my hair -- which makes me think it was soaking up the color and she had to add more? So, for porosity, I'm confused.

4. I did the elasticity test too -- where you stretch the hair -- seems okay on that, not great, not terrible. My instinct after reading so much on this website and doing these tests and experimenting and everything is that my hair is THRISTY!

5. I've been told my whole life that my hair is course. I asked the DevaCurl hairdresser and she said it's really not that course. It's kind of in the middle -- so that was a first!

6. The DevaCurl hairdresser told me my hair was more Botticelli, but also with corkscrews. She found a "virgin" corkscrew at the back of my head under the canopy that was so shiny and pretty. Of course, it was where no one could see it. Lol!!! But, it showed signs of hope!

Do you guys think I need to do more investigation to find out about porosity, elasticity, course v fine (I can't imagine it's considered fine, but maybe I've been told the wrong thing all of these years?) and type (3a, 3b, something else?) before I start product jumping?

Is it possible that I could even find my HG when my hair is only 2 weeks into CG? I've read a lot on the before and after and many people said it took around 3 months before they really saw things get better, so maybe I just won't know for awile.

I have not ONE clue about protein for my hair. I guess I could try it. I read the Curly Girl book and when I did the Lorraine Massey "What a Curl Wants" recipe (with a Baking Soda wash) because my hair felt "gunky" I came out of that feeling like STRAW!!! So...... I have been doing DT at every wash since then and it's really helped.

I appreciate you giving me the guidance that you did! I am going to look into those samples! Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Stephanie :flower:
    I love plopping.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,342Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know a whole lot about it, but the need to have balance between protein and moisture has to do with how much moisture your hair will hold. coarse hair cannot tolerate much protein, fine hair needs lots of protein. if you are in the middle, normal, then your hair will need some protein.
    depends on what products you use, where you will get protein from.

my hair started looking better almost immediately and then continued to get better and better. everyone's hair is different. i think the biggest thing is that once you stop using sulfates that strip moisture from your hair, your head/hair has to adjust. if you have damage from straightening, it might take longer to see benefits, but you will see it in the new growth.

some people are lucky and find their hg right away.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    You may not know that porosity until the BB grows out. If your hair is soaking up product, that's porous. If it takes a long time to get wet--that's low porosity. The other thing to think about is--how long it takes to dry. When I worked, I did my hair around 6:15, diffused for a minute or two, didn't use product and it would still be damp around 11:30. Now, I do more to help it dry AND use product. It's still a few hours, but not as much.

Here's a link to Curl Junkie Marsha's blog on texture and porosity. She give examples: Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-) This may help you. A lot of curlies think their hair is coarse, when it's really just dry.

Curl type is the least important. In the new CG Book, rbb and I would be Corkicelli. I assume you'd be the same. It really doesn't matter. Our texture and porosity is different and we like some of the same products and don't like others.

My hair feels like straw after baking soda, too. I don't use it. I'd much rather use shampoo to remove build up then baking soda. The only shampoo I keep around is the one by Donna Marie. My hair feels MUCH better after that, then it does with baking soda. The CJ Daily Fix has coco b, a mild sulfactant that will remove some build up.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Very interesting article! I still don't feel I have a firm grasp of porosity because my hair is full of contradicitions:

Low porosity:

1. Takes a long time to get wet!
    2. In the water glass it the hair NEVER sunk!

High porosity:

1. Feels slightly rough when I run my finger up the strand.
    2. One stylist said my hair "soaked up product" when she colored it.

So I remain better informed - and still very confused! Is it possible that the stylist was wrong and the "roughness" I feel is from damage not from high porosity?

The only thing I know for sure is how long my hair takes to get wet and that it didn't sink in the water glass test.

I can't imagine that my hair is not somewhat damaged with all of the blow drying and the two BB -- so I'm pretty much counting on that as a given, though the Deva Curl sylist told me it "wasn't too bad" as far as damage goes. This stuff is somewhat subjective!

I think my hair is in the middle when it comes to being coarse or not but probably leans more toward coarse than it does fine.

I have a lot of hair, crazy amounts. I have colored it in the past and I really want to color it again but am holding off and living with some grey at the crown.

So I keep conditioning and trying new things. I wish the Curl Junkie styling product sample package was available. It's out of stock :angry3:

It seems like I might need to try a little bit of protein and experiment. If it wasn't a match -- how would I know? Hair would be dry? Frizzy? Limp? What's it mean when gals write "my hair hates protein" in their siggys?

Thanks ladies!!! Stephanie
    I love plopping.
    Kathymack -- do you sell sample sizes of CJ products? Do you think you might be able to choose a couple for me that I might like? I'm thinking about CIAB and not sure what else.

Also, as far as products go, ReCoil sounds interesting too. Is that by AG? Have you ladies tried that one?

Thanks
    I love plopping.
    Kathymack -- do you sell sample sizes of CJ products? Do you think you might be able to choose a couple for me that I might like? I'm thinking about CIAB and not sure what else.

Also, as far as products go, ReCoil sounds interesting too. Is that by AG? Have you ladies tried that one?

Thanks

PM me.

I think your hair may be porous, for now. The float test isn't all that accurate. Depending on your shower head and pressure, it could effect your hair getting wet. To me, the bumps and the soaking up product mean more.

I didn't find the recoil to be anything special, so don't use it. My hair likes the more natural products. Protein overload makes your hair feel dry and like straw. If you need it, it tightens and defines your curls, in addition to reducing frizz.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Steph. My hair looks alot like yours just shoulder length now (wanna get it to your length!). Anyway, I have same issue as you as far as losing hold throughout the day. I've found harder holding gels work best -- they allow me to get 2nd day hair, keep frizz to a minimum and keep ends smooth and not poofy. I've accepted crunch and have grown to like it. Some gels scrunch out nicely leaving great clumps with minimal frizz. I've tried soft and medium hold gels that look good initially but by early afternoon, hair is up in ponytail otherwise I have big poof.

As for stylers, CJ leaves hair soft but no hold. Didn't work for me. I think CJ makes good conditioners DT/PT's but stylers, not so much. Not for the money. I also found my hair is softer, shinier and less frizzy when I cut down on protein and humectants. Took me 2 months to figure that out!
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
    Cuban curl e (cute name!) have you tried FSG? Just curious what that did for your hair. I get softness and shine and decent frizz control but no hold or curl enhancement. I might try adding more honey to it and some mag sulfate.

Kathymack I'm going to pm you. Thanks for responses ladies! :profileleft:
    I love plopping.
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cuban curl e (cute name!) have you tried FSG? Just curious what that did for your hair. I get softness and shine and decent frizz control but no hold or curl enhancement. I might try adding more honey to it and some mag sulfate.

Kathymack I'm going to pm you. Thanks for responses ladies! :profileleft:

It's funny you ask bc I've been experimenting with homemade FSG for last 2weeks! Unfortunately, it's not working for me. No hold!!! I added honey as some suggested but that made me frizz. I'm in high dews most of the year.

I just made flax curl cream and it actually made my curls droopy. Gave me really nice shine and hair was super soft, almost too soft.

To be honest, I'm just having much better results with store bought stuff as long as I stay away from proteins and humectants. At least that's what's happening now!
    3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
    CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
    LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.
  • jsrod75jsrod75 Posts: 14Registered Users
    KM- do you have any tips on getting moisture/protein balance? I sometimes get crunchy/straw strands from overdoing certain gels. I know you don't use gels, maybe that's the goal -to use jelly products instead?

thank you :-)
    2c/3A, low density, medium, normal porosity
    CG since August 2010
    Low-Poo: varies
    Conditoner: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    Stylers: CIAB, Beyond the Zone Spike It Gel, HETT Mousse
    Experimenting with: SS CEJ and FHG. DM MCJ, KCCC -loving the gellies! thanks Kathymack!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's an article explaining protein vs moisture that also links another article in it.

moisture/protein balance « Pittsburgh Curly

Crunchy hair from gel is not necessarily a bad thing, you can usually just scrunch it out with your hands, paper towel or hair butter. Straw like hair can make you are over proteined and should back off. Looking at your stylers I know the CCCC lite, CEJ and FHG have protein. Not sure about the JC.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

jsrod75 wrote: »
    KM- do you have any tips on getting moisture/protein balance? I sometimes get crunchy/straw strands from overdoing certain gels. I know you don't use gels, maybe that's the goal -to use jelly products instead?

thank you :-)

There's a difference between crunch and straw. If your hair is crunchy, you should be able to scrunch it out. If not with bare hands, maybe a little of a rich product or butter?? There are tons of threads on scrunching out the crunch.

If your hair is fine and normal porosity, it should be able to handle some protein in your products. You may want to check the ingredients to see what proteins are in your product. It's possible there's one your hair doesn't like.

I have problems with polyquats. The ones I know about are 4 and 10--they are in the SS FHG and at least one of them in the CJ CIAB. I get build up from them which causes frizz--one of the reasons I stopped using gel and only use what I refer to as jelly products.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jsrod75jsrod75 Posts: 14Registered Users
    oops, need to update my signature, I switched to Aubrey GPB balancing shampoo and CJ strengthening conditioner,maybe too much protein. just need to keep working at right combo. I bought Sally's Beyond the Zone Defy Gravity spike it gel and it formed great curls with slight crunch, today is second day with it in and it looks less crunchy. I am looking forward to more samples from KM, will play with those too. thank you!
    2c/3A, low density, medium, normal porosity
    CG since August 2010
    Low-Poo: varies
    Conditoner: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    Stylers: CIAB, Beyond the Zone Spike It Gel, HETT Mousse
    Experimenting with: SS CEJ and FHG. DM MCJ, KCCC -loving the gellies! thanks Kathymack!
  • Laney1Laney1 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Give AG Re:coil Curl activating creme a try. It definitely enhances the curl and I usually get 3rd and 4th day hair with it.

When I want looser curls, I use EcoStyler gel, just because it's cheaper than Deva Arc angel. But AG Re:coil is my HG. I use it over Curl Keeper.
    3B, with some 3C
  • curlybrancurlybran Posts: 510Registered Users
    Where did you find how to do all these porosity, elasticity, and all those other tests?

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No matter what combination I use, I find that my hair can curl up nicely, only to lose the curl mid way through the day and it gets frizzy and sometimes poofy...OR if I manage to get better hold and it keeps the curl throughout the day, it's only when I've put so much product on that my hair feels a bit "gunky" and not shiny. My hair is dry so I guess part of this equation...I need CURL ENHANCEMENT and more HOLD and FRIZZ control too.

CurlyStephie, like you, FSG is not enough hold for me. I need a strong gelly or medium to hard hold gel to really hold my curl. My favorite gelly is SS CEJ, though I've come to the conclusion that I still prefer some gel on top of the CEJ.

My all-time favorite gel is SS FHG, because it gives me really nice hold (about medium) but hair doesn't feel producty at all: entirely touchable, and shiny too.

I like using SS FHG over a curl cream (two favorites are CJ CCCC for summer and CCCC lite for the rest of the year). FHG has protein in it, but it's silk protein so most hair types don't have an issue with it.

If your hair can tolerate higher doses of protein, you can add more protein to your routine: either by way of a leave-in (like CJ curl fix mixed with your leave-in conditioner or curl creme), or a rinse-out conditioner (with protein in it), or switching to a gel with higher protein content. My all-time favorite protein gel is Abba firm-hold pure finish gel. It gives the hold of BRHG, but hair is much softer/more touchable (not as soft as FHG, but close).

Right now, I have CCCC lite + Abba pure finish gel in my hair and it's 3rd day and my curls are still really perky. (I pineapple at night and gently smooth a little water on in the a.m. to refresh). I can't use Abba in the low dews because of the glycerin in it, but it's been fine for fall.

The extra protein in ABBA boosts my curl, beyond what I get from the curl creme; and the fact that it's a stronger gel (hard rather than medium) holds the curl for a longer period of time.

If your hair is coarse, then the wheat protein in Abba might not be good for it; otherwise, it shouldn't be a problem. If you hair is dry, however, too much protein will make it like straw, so I'd recommend a deep moisturizing RO conditioner before using a styling product with lots of protein.

Another option is to do a protein treatment. My all-time favorite is CJ Repair Me!. It uses keratin protein, which mimics the proteins naturally in your hair. You don't need to use heat with it (though you can for enhancement) and only need to leave it in 5-10 minutes. You might or might not need to follow with a moisturizing rinse-out. I don't need to, but my hair isn't dry.

So protein added to your routine for curl enhancement; and gel that leaves your hair touchable afterward for stronger hold...those are my recommendations.

Finally, for frizz control in the summer, I use CJ CIAB as a serum; the rest of the time, I don't add anything extra to my routine.
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
    Wow, Melaniesusan, that was a GREAT post! :blob6: I just saw it today (I'm not sure when you posted) so sorry for the delay in responding. Still learning about this site!

So much great information :toothy8:

I am now in a place where I am still playing around with finding curl enhancement, so this is just what I need to continue my quest for my HG. I'm also hitting up against a new problem -- my hair seems to be drying out. I think I'm going to try the CJ repair me.

I vacillate between wanting to try protein and worried about it. I have read the posts and blogs and still can't tell if I need it or not. Guess there's only one way to find out!

Thanks again for this great info. Now I know a little better how to check back for responses! :mrgreen:
    I love plopping.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file