Help with my daughters hair please!

momtoenamomtoena Posts: 5Registered Users
First time poster, sorry. I know there is a forum for kids hair but I looked there and it's not what I need. I wandered over here, saw the 'how are you wearing your hair today' thread and decided this is where I need to be. My daughter is 3 1/2 and biracial. Her hair is beautiful but honestly, I don't know how to take care of it. We have taken her to a hairdresser who told us to use the Just for Me product line and KeraCare shampoo. We have not tried that, the hairdresser and I were trying to achieve different things. I want to enhance her curls, not straighten her hair.
Here's some background: from what I can tell, her hair looks a lot like Johan Klum's. It goes a little past her shoulders when dry (she has had one trim, one time), if I let it down, and not all of it actually hangs down. I currently wash it (once every week or 2) with Aveeno baby shampoo and then generally comb it out and put it up in a bunch of little pigtails. We were using Curls products on her hair but didn't really see any great results. My main problem is that combing her hair results is a lot of tears from both of us but I feel like I should be combing it every day. It has been in braids now for several weeks and before that was in a ponytail for several weeks because if it is up, I don't have to comb it out. If I don't comb it out everyday, it turns into a big clump of knots by about day 2. So please, give me some suggestions on what to use and maybe more importantly, let me know how often I should be trying to comb her hair out. I would love to be able to let her hair down but not if it's going to be a giant cryfest everyday.

Comments

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know it's your first post, but there is help out there for you. This would be one place to start:

Curly Primer

Once you learn the basics of curly hair care, you can venture into fun styles for your daughter. Check this site for both hair tutorials and product recommendations:

Beads, Braids and Beyond

You can also check out Youtube for videos on how to comb, style, wash, and just about anything you need that's hair related.

If her hair is in braids now, are you also taking care of her hair while it's up? Do you moisturize, cover them at night, rinse them, etc.?
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • my3curliesmy3curlies Posts: 161Registered Users
    I have a 2 year old with tailbone length hair and what has helped us is to keep it simple. I have her lay on the counter with her neck hanging over the sink so her hair hangs. I cowash her hair with suave naturals. I use a lot, about 1/3 of the bottle if needed because it makes it easier to finger detangle. To style I just keep her hair in two pigtails, one on each side, and use shea moisture curl milk to braid them. I don't worry about leaving her hair out because of the tangles and crying but if you do then I would mist with water, add a little more of what you use to style and throw a few braids in every night.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    :!::!: Under Construction :!::!:
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    I would suggest Shea Moisture and Kinky Curly products, both can be found at target at very reasonable prices. I use those for my leave in and stylers, but use Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture conditioner for my rinse out. It works very well to moisturize, has great slip, is very inexpensive, and comes in a HUGE bottle!

Another thing I suggest is ONLY detangling her hair when it is soaking wet with conditioner in it. And I'd detangle in sections, and hold on to her roots as you detangle, to lessen pain. I dont think you really need to detangle every single day, I'd say every 2-3 days should be sufficient. I'd try putting her hair in braids or twists, that might make it last longer.
    momtoena wrote: »
    First time poster, sorry. I know there is a forum for kids hair but I looked there and it's not what I need. I wandered over here, saw the 'how are you wearing your hair today' thread and decided this is where I need to be. My daughter is 3 1/2 and biracial. Her hair is beautiful but honestly, I don't know how to take care of it. We have taken her to a hairdresser who told us to use the Just for Me product line and KeraCare shampoo. We have not tried that, the hairdresser and I were trying to achieve different things. I want to enhance her curls, not straighten her hair.
    Here's some background: from what I can tell, her hair looks a lot like Johan Klum's. It goes a little past her shoulders when dry (she has had one trim, one time), if I let it down, and not all of it actually hangs down. I currently wash it (once every week or 2) with Aveeno baby shampoo and then generally comb it out and put it up in a bunch of little pigtails. We were using Curls products on her hair but didn't really see any great results. My main problem is that combing her hair results is a lot of tears from both of us but I feel like I should be combing it every day. It has been in braids now for several weeks and before that was in a ponytail for several weeks because if it is up, I don't have to comb it out. If I don't comb it out everyday, it turns into a big clump of knots by about day 2. So please, give me some suggestions on what to use and maybe more importantly, let me know how often I should be trying to comb her hair out. I would love to be able to let her hair down but not if it's going to be a giant cryfest everyday.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/
  • Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Novice
    momtoena wrote: »

Hello, it seems our daughters have similar hair types and I too have used the Curls products with little results. The best suggestion I can give you is to continue styling her hair in pigtails and braids..and not to let it be all out that much. In the pigtail and braid style you really don't have to do much detangling and there are plenty of styles to try and different twists like 2 and 3 strand twists. Also you can try a twist out or braid out on her hair if you want to let it down for a while. It may not get as tangled that way. I usually remositurize, not comb, my dauther's hair every day. I then comb everyother day. As far as a good detangler goes I did like the Blended Cutie Curly Cake Shake, but I switched to SheaMoisture Curl and Style Milk because the Cake Shake contained Glycerin which dried out her hair a lot. I also like that the SheaMoisture is just an all around good product to use. Also try detangling damp hair...just spritz it with water and then apply the detangling product. Use a wide tooth dentangling comb too. Work with small sections detangling from the tips and working your way up to the roots. Happy Girl Hair has some good detangling videos. Another good thing to do (which may take extra work but will be worth it in the end) is to have a nightly routine...Just section her hair into at least 6 sections..spritz her hair with water, add a moisturizer, braid it up, and put a silk scarf on her hair. In the morning take it down and refreshen. That will help train her hair and help her retain moisture...that will ultimately help with detangling...
  • SammySingallySammySingally Posts: 131Registered Users
    My mum had that problem when I was about your daughter's age. Even now, my hair still tangles so easily and I'm almost in tears if I go to a hairdressers and they're combing my hair. However, if I'm combing my hair, it doesn't hurt me because:
    1. I comb it wet (or with conditioner in it) only
    2. I comb out the tips of my hair first
    3. I slowly inch higher, combing and detangling
    4. I don't comb my hair at one go
    5. I always hold my hair as I comb (if I'm combing out the tip area, I hold the hair directly above there to stop the combing or detangling from tugging at my scalp)
    6. I don't touch my hair much because the more you touch, the more you invite our little friend called 'frizz' and frizz loves bringing a present over...a present named 'tangles!'
    7. I'm extra gentle with my hair

If you don't want to have to work on your daughter's hair daily, braid her hair. That way, you don't have to comb and detangle it daily.

Also, this helped me at some point, hope it helps you too.
    treasures for tots: Biracial Hair Care

Hope I could help.
    Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

Growing plan: At least 6 inches longer in a year.
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    1. start with by using coconut oil or olive oil as a prepoo, & detangle the hair in 4-6 sections
    and braid the hair after each section is detangled

2. wash each section while its still in the braid

3. take down 1 braid at a time and apply a slippy conditioner like aussie moist or Suave Almond & Shea, use a lot on each section and detanlge it more, the braid it back up, wait a few mintues for the conditioner to absorb.

4. rise most of the conditioner out ofthe braid, and warp on old t-shirt around the childs head, to let it dry.

5. On slighty damp hair, apply a leave-in conditioner, and I would stick with to braided ponytails, then apply a sealant( coconut oil, oilve oil, or shea moisture milk, or hair smootie)

6. on the daily spritz with water and apply a little conditioner or oil.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file