SS CEJ vs. Donna Marie Miracurl Curling Gelly

curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
Has anyone tried both of these? I have used SS CEJ in the past and loved it. Since the Queen Helene Royal Curl Curling Creme came out, I've been using that, but I've been a little disenchanted with it lately. I'm not sure if the glycerin has finally caught up with me or what. I'm just not getting the good results I used to.

I pulled out my last reserve of SS CEJ to try again tomorrow, but with not knowing when Shantelle will reopen, I've been looking at other products. I have a voucher for aveyou.com and was considering buying the Donna Marie gelly.

Are these two products in any way similar? If you've used both, how do they compare? Any input would be appreciated!

TIA!

Kerri
2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010

Comments

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I've used all three of those actually. DMMCCG has glycerin as well, and fairly high up, so it doesn't work for me. Neither did the queen helene for the same reason. I would compare my results with CEJ closer to Uncle Funkys Daughter Curly Magic (UFDCM) instead. It's expensive but works.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I've used all three of those actually. DMMCCG has glycerin as well, and fairly high up, so it doesn't work for me. Neither did the queen helene for the same reason. I would compare my results with CEJ closer to Uncle Funkys Daughter Curly Magic (UFDCM) instead. It's expensive but works.

Thanks, rymorg!

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)

mod CG since August 2010
    Where is the best place to buy UFDCM? I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere other than the company website.

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah I don't think the CEJ and Curling Gelly are really similar either. I do like to mix the two together in the winter because of the CG's high glycerin content!

CEJ reminds me a little of the UFD's and a little of AOMM.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    curlyserf wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy UFDCM? I'm having a hard time finding it anywhere other than the company website.

The only place I've bought it is from the company website. Occasionally someone on the swap board will have some though. Don't be put off by the price...it takes only a little and it goes a LONG way for me.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    curlyserf wrote: »

The only place I've bought it is from the company website. Occasionally someone on the swap board will have some though. Don't be put off by the price...it takes only a little and it goes a LONG way for me.

Thanks! I just might order some today.

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
  • wavysuewavysue Posts: 363Registered Users
    I prefer SS CEJ vs DM Miragelly because of the glycerin that can make my hair kinda funny in less than ideal conditions. I'm out of it and been waiting and waiting like everybody else for SS shop to re-open *eyeroll* I think uncle funky is the one product I have yet to try! A lot of people say it's like KCCC??? Off to check ingredients.....
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
    I tried the UFD this morning. I think I may have used too much, so I will cut back tomorrow. My hair is a little flat and limp, but I can tell that the UFD did a good job of enhancing my waves/curls. I added AIF on top and, again, may have used too much. I may try Alba SHG tomorrow.

I'm still a mad scientist even after more than a year!

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    One is a curl enhancer and one is a styler for hold. One is built around protein, and the other not. One is loaded with humectants, and the other not. Here are the two things you should think about

1. What's the protein/moisture balance in you hair these days. Does your hair thrive on protein in terms of wave/wurl/curl formation?

2. What's the dew where you are? On any given day what works one day, may not work another day because the dew isnt right.. OR you already have a great moisture base going on so the styler doesn't perform as well as it usually does.

If you haven't already, check out the formulations of the products your hair really loves and try to use the things that have those common elements. Another thing to do is to log your great hair days ( what you did/used.. how you used it). I found this a great help when I was starting out.

HTH
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • jsrod75jsrod75 Posts: 14Registered Users
    great information Naturalista! are you saying the DM MCJ is for hold and not for enhancement? How would you characterize the Botanical Spirits puree? I just used my sample from KathyMack and looove the spirals I got. I'm in Florida and the dews are not so crazy lately.
    2c/3A, low density, medium, normal porosity
    CG since August 2010
    Low-Poo: varies
    Conditoner: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    Stylers: CIAB, Beyond the Zone Spike It Gel, HETT Mousse
    Experimenting with: SS CEJ and FHG. DM MCJ, KCCC -loving the gellies! thanks Kathymack!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the DM Curling Gelly is more of a curl enhancer AND has a little hold. That stuff is seriously amazing for me in the summer! I get the best waves and clumps.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

I've been using the UFD Curly Magic with really good results. I'm tweaking the products I'm using along with it, but so far I've been pretty happy!

Kerri
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:

mod CG since August 2010
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jsrod75 wrote: »
    great information Naturalista! are you saying the DM MCJ is for hold and not for enhancement? How would you characterize the Botanical Spirits puree? I just used my sample from KathyMack and looove the spirals I got. I'm in Florida and the dews are not so crazy lately.

DMMCG is glorified Flaxseed gel. I like it, but that's what it is and that why I say it's more of hold agent bc of how its composed, but yes it does enhance curl to some extent --that's what gellies tend to function like-- at least in MY hair.

The BSMCP is great and one of my fav stylers. I can use it year around and it works with a lot of LI's. I cant be heavy handed with it or the hold gets too crazy.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the DM Curling Gelly is more of a curl enhancer AND has a little hold. That stuff is seriously amazing for me in the summer! I get the best waves and clumps.
    Asian I mixed up my DMMG and made IA's Girl recipe for FSG Cream (in my hands) and I was able to tolerate the Glycerin quite well in low dew points, got solid hold & curl enhancement. I didn't get the same results when I layered it.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file