CurlTalk

Extreme Couponing

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
I have never seen this show before. All I have to say is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! 1k in groceries for 30 dollars??? 10 hours in the grocery store? LOLOLOLOL

Too bad that most of it is junk foods and soap.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Most of these people end up with savings on junk food. I use coupons, but only on healthy stuff. I often get coupons for yogurt, cheeses, and bags of frozen vegetables. I don't intend to waste my time on junk.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    I know! I'm watching this and I'm like TicTacs, really? Ketchup? Soda?

That's not for me. One woman got all this dental stuff, I thought that was cool.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

Other than the hoarding, these women (all I've seen are women so far) are pretty clever.

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I don't see how they have this much free time to devote to this! I am lucky if I have enough time to cut out a few coupons in the Sunday paper.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    It makes no sense to me. You are not saving anything if you have a bunch stuff stored in your basement that you will never use.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote: »
    It makes no sense to me. You are not saving anything if you have a bunch stuff stored in your basement that you will never use.

I know, it's kind of weird. I would end up giving stuff away. That food must be going bad, too.

This woman just bought a bunch of Nesquick chocolate drink. Now she's buying Cap'n Crunch for 59 cents a box. Free candy bars galore. I think some of these people enjoy the adrenaline rush more than anything. She's freaking out that she won't get all her stuff for 10 dollars....um, lady. Normally all that is 700 dollars. LOL

On another note: KOOpon or KYOOpon?

I say koopon.

• NessyNessy Posts: 788Registered Users
    I saw an episode where the person donates all the stuff they get with the coupons to charities. I thought that was cool and worth the time the person spends on couponing.

As for the those people that store all the stuff they buy in the basement - I think it's crazy. Do you really need 60 bottles of mustard???
    Why yes. Yes I do. For my 100 packages of hot dogs.

• FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »

It doesn't make sense to me either. Are you really saving money buying 60 cans of hairspray and 50 boxes of Hamburger Helper?
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    These people are nuts, plain and simple. Every time I see the show my reaction is usually: Really? REALLY???!!! Do you honestly need all that crap, unhealthy crap at that?
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    Definitely hoarding behavior.
    they also fail to point out that most of those coupons are purchased.
    There are no stores that double coupons here so it's impossible to get those types of savings. But then again, I have no use for 50 bottles of mustard.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    My sister is an extreme couponer. She says "I buy what I don't need to get what I need.". She donates all the stuff they won't use.

When she was pregnant she fully expected to go back to work. When my niece was born she changed her mind and reworked their budget. She looks at the amount they save as her monitary contribution to the household. Yes she spends a lot of time organizing it all but they've been able to maintain their comfort of living because of it. I could never do it, when she tells me about it I'm bored, but I admire her drive.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Before we moved I cut coupons quite frequently, but now our local paper doesn't freakin' have coupons in it. :-|
    I'd match them up with my grocery store sales and get some decent deals, but never put the time into it some people do nor buy things that I wouldn't normally purchase.

That being said I have seen this show and can't fathom how someone can buy such unhealthy crap. At least the people who get the healthcare items and donates them make some sense. I wonder with it gaining such popularity if it will impact the coupon industry and the store policies on couponing.

What really ticks me off? I have a coupon for mustard and I was going to use it, but since you BOUGHT THEM ALL LEAVING NONE FOR THE REST OF US now I've got no damn mustard. :angry4:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I love my sunday paper coupons and my BJs coupons....but that is it for me. I do feel a bit 'all that and a bag of chips' when I can use a sunday paper coupon and a BJs coupon together! And I do use the coupons for Subways, Papa Ginos, Olive Garden. $4 is $4!!!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    spring1onu wrote: »
    Before we moved I cut coupons quite frequently, but now our local paper doesn't freakin' have coupons in it. :-|
    I'd match them up with my grocery store sales and get some decent deals, but never put the time into it some people do nor buy things that I wouldn't normally purchase.

That being said I have seen this show and can't fathom how someone can buy such unhealthy crap. At least the people who get the healthcare items and donates them make some sense. I wonder with it gaining such popularity if it will impact the coupon industry and the store policies on couponing.

What really ticks me off? I have a coupon for mustard and I was going to use it, but since you BOUGHT THEM ALL LEAVING NONE FOR THE REST OF US now I've got no damn mustard. :angry4:

There was an episode where a woman did this. She was laughing about it. I can't remember what the product was and he was only going to buy one or two.

I do, also, think they are hoarders. I think they get a high off of it. They have no regard to others and they are wasteful. I think it is sick, sick, sick. I also wonder why there are no coupons for vegetables and meat, just junk. I would love to save on my grocery bill, but most of that will not be going into my body. YUCK!
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Most of these people end up with savings on junk food. I use coupons, but only on healthy stuff. I often get coupons for yogurt, cheeses, and bags of frozen vegetables. I don't intend to waste my time on junk.

My mom does couponing too.. she tries to stick with the healthy stuff also. We get all of our tooth paste and tooth brushes for free. And we can usually get pretty great deals on hair products.
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I would love to do this and donate everything to the shelters my friends work at. I feel like I don't even know where to start. I open the paper, look at my coupons and then I'm at at a lost. We do have one place that doubles coupons up to $1
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    I coupon and I can usually save between 30-50% off of my grocery bill. I'm not a stock piler, but I will buy multiples of things for family and friends. I also don't waste my time and money on the junk stuff. Who the hell needs 100 boxes of tick tacs?!?! I will admit, that i keep at least 2-3 months of dry goods on hand in case money gets tight or something of that nature...but 50 toothbrushes?!?! I just can't.

There are several blogs that do all the sale matchups for you. They tell you which coupons to use for which same items and what the final price will be before taxes. My personal favorite is www.coupondivas.com. They have match up for most national and some regional chains of grocery and big box stores and they even do coupons for clothing stores and such.

Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    My neighbor does coupons and she very nicely points out when there are some I might be interested in. I know she gets about $150 in groceries for around $50 a week. We don't eat the same things (we eat a ton of fruit, they eat a lot of packaged snacks) but she had an extra flier with $5 coupons for certain toys that both our girls want for Christmas, so it was nice of her to share. I think it makes her nuts that there are coupons out there and I don't take advantage of them, but I try to when I find them for things we use (toothpaste, washing detergent, toilet paper). She's super organized and will price match, double coupon, and buy stuff she uses but doesn't need right now. I buy stuff when I need it. I just can't get on top of the whole system.
  • Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    I don't understand the coupon thing even when it's not extreme. :p I can always find a generic brand name item for a cheaper price then the brand name product with the coupon. For instance, mustard. Why would I spend $1.69 when I can spend $.99 with the generic brand? And I find the generic brand name is just as good (if sometimes better) then the brand name item.

Makes ya wanna go hmmmm....
    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
    Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
    Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Debh366 wrote: »
    I don't understand the coupon thing even when it's not extreme. :p I can always find a generic brand name item for a cheaper price then the brand name product with the coupon. For instance, mustard. Why would I spend $1.69 when I can spend $.99 with the generic brand? And I find the generic brand name is just as good (if sometimes better) then the brand name item.

I never care about brand names, but I'd take whatever is cheaper. If I had a coupon for $.50 off of that and it doubled, I'd pay $.69 for the name brand which is cheaper than $.99 for the generic.
  • Debh366Debh366 Posts: 218Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »
    I never care about brand names, but I'd take whatever is cheaper. If I had a coupon for $.50 off of that and it doubled, I'd pay $.69 for the name brand which is cheaper than $.99 for the generic.

Me too, but that hardly ever happens. Plus the stores I go to don't offer double coupons.
    ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Cowash: Suave Strawberry, Tresseme Naturals Moisture
    Lopoo: L'Oreal EverSleek
    Style: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel, Aussie Instant Freeze Gel, sometimes Alba
    Techniques: Just use ShamWow after I put product in damp hair and crunch. Works well for me, my hair holds a good wave all day. 2nd day hair is even better.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    Munchy wrote: »
    Debh366 wrote: »

That's pretty much what I do. If the generic is cheaper than the name brand minus the coupon, I get generic. But my grocery store doubles coupons $1 or less...so it's cheaper to get the name brand sometimes. Also, Harris Teeter does triple coupons once every 3 months all coupons less than $1 and I stock up on staple items that I use a lot of then.

Just this past week..the All laundry detergent that i use was 2/$5 at my grocery store ( the 24 load size). I had 6 $1 off coupons. So I ended up with 6 bottles of laundry detergent for $9. The regular retail price is $5 a bottle. Those 6 bottles for me is about a 6 month supply. That's crossed off my shopping list for a while and I got it at a killer price. That's a win win for me.

Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RaleighitewavesRaleighitewaves Posts: 17Registered Users
    I use coupons and combine with store sales to get great deals. It is just my husband and I and 2 pets. My goal is 50% savings each time I go, but I also note that things like milk,eggs, fruit, and meat rarely have coupons but frequently go on sale.

Meat goes on sale alot. And I rarely buy something full price. In 2010 i saved over $2k in just 10 months. That to me was like a pay raise. I love couponing and I doubt we will ever go back.

I also want to say that this TV show is WAY out of realistic shopping boundaries. Stores have to break their policy to allow these customers to behave this way. Then new couponers get upset that they can't get the same ridiculous deals and get mad at the stores. Overall this show does more damage than good, but that's the shows fault.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk - sorry for typos!
    2b waves, fine, low porosity hair, with occasional ringlets in bottom back layer. Easily over conditioned. Loves protein

No Poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (once/week)
    Co-wash: V05
    Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Triple Moisture (eo wash)
    Styler: Sammy's Curl Reactivator or Ecostyler & Water mix (50/50), La Bella Curls gel

Curl-ease towel & pixi-diffusing on high heat, low speed

Wash at night,pineapple for 2nd, sometimes 3rd day hair
    NCC, thanks for that link!!! the Match-ups are SOOOOO helpful
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    I rarely see coupons here in the UK and usually you have to buy something to get a coupon to use on the same thing next time.

I'd like to see the programme though. I bet it's interesting and frustrating at the same time.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
    i need toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste and mouthwash so I'm going to give it a try. I don't understand the matchup language. What the heck does this mean?Colgate Max White, Fresh or Max White Clean Toothpaste – 2/$3.50Buy 2, Get $2 in Register Rewards$.50 SS 10/30$.25 each after Coupon and Register RewardsIn the example above, are they saying that the toothpaste is on sale 2 for $3.50 and if you buy 2 you get $2 in register rewards, add in a $.50 coupon from this past sunday.$3.50 - $2.00 - $.50(*2) = $.50 total (but the $2 will be in reward points?)SS?What's does stuff like this mean.... $1/1?ECB?
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    $1/1 just means that you get $1 off of that one item.
    SS stands for Smart Source (the newspaper insert
    ECB = Extra Care Bucks from CVS learn more about them here How to Shop at CVS
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    LOL my first episode was also the tic tac and mustard show.

My husband thought this was the greatest thing ever and promptly got online to research further. Two things he discovered.

a) Couponing sucks in Canada! We have nowhere near the extreme opportunities here.

b) Like all reality TV, there is definitely some fakery involved in this show. Stores will accept doubles (or more) of coupons for the benefit of drama on the show that they don't do in every day practice. Apparently that's why the show really only features small local stores now, because places like Walmart were inundated with angry phone calls from customers when they saw people on the show pulling coupon shenanigans that they knew the store didn't allow.

Its still a fun show.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I've been couponing. I saved $40 on my last grocery trip. Even got a little praise from the cashier.

I'm excited to go grocery shopping tomorrow.:)

eta: I got deodorant for 75 cents each. Not as impressive as free, but still pretty good. Oh, and I totally could have gotten free toothpaste, but I needed it ASAP and the next week they were 10 for $10 and I totally used my $1 off coupons already. :(
    3c/4a