Baking soda and apple cidar rinse bad.

MidisurfMidisurf Registered Users Posts: 88
- Nate

Co-wash - Boots / Tresemme Naturals
Condition - Bodyshop Rainforest / Tresemme Naturals
Style - Holland and Barrett Aloe Vera gel / Garnier Fructis Camouflage gel

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't disagree with the science behind the video. But I know that vinegar by itself is not bad for hair, at least not my hair. I've been doing vinegar rinses for nearly 40 years.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • MidisurfMidisurf Registered Users Posts: 88
    Maybe you use more water so it's not as acidic? Does Ph really matter?
    - Nate

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I have no idea if PH really matters. I'm not much of a scientist. I just know what works for me. I use a pretty strong mix of vinegar to water (much stronger than is usually recommended here). That's how my mom taught me and it's always worked well. It makes my hair feel clean and free of product buildup, closes the cuticle and makes it easier to detangle, adds shine. Works for me.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • MidisurfMidisurf Registered Users Posts: 88
    Fair enough if it works that's what counts, results.
    - Nate

• MisscbMisscb Registered Users Posts: 44
    I agree with the video since she's proving it with the ph balance scale, but she didn't say vinegar was bad she says baking soda is bad, but it's still sorta confusing because when you mix the two it's equivalent to water so how is it bad? I'm lost

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    ive heard that the bicarb is bad as well, but yes, like you said Misscb thats y the vinegar comes into play....... but im thinking that the bicarb is maybe stronger then the vinegar, cause the hair's PH is slightly acidic, maybe the bicard really throws it off, even though vinegar is used after.......?

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • DevushkaDevushka Registered Users Posts: 1,080
    It's not that I disagree with the basic ph facts she's presenting in the video, but I do think her focus is much too narrow to make anything she's presenting be of any real use. She presents her ph demonstration as if a ph of 7 is the goal to shoot for because that's the ph of pure water. But (as I mentioned in another post) in the ebook, Live Curly Live Free, by Tiffany Anderson (who may still be active here on nc.com. Not sure), Tiffany points out that human hair has a ph of 4.5. to 5.5, and so technically even just water takes your hair out of its natural ph balance. So it's not that some things are necessarily bad, it's just that bringing your hair's ph back to where it's supposed to be, regardless of what's thrown it off balance, is what you want to do.

To me anyway, a baso rinse effectively gets rid of product build up, is much less inexpensive than many commercial products designed to get rid of build up, and is less harsh than plenty of sulfate shampoos. It's just that you also have to follow it up with an ACV rinse which is acidic to balance out the alkaline level of the baking soda. And for me anyway, an ACV rinse on its own (i.e. Not as a follow up to a baso rinse) from time to time isn't bad either in that the acidity of it seems to help balance the ph 7 of water and the ph 4.5 - 5.5 of hair. At least that's one explanation that seems to make sense. Otherwise all I know is that my hair feels really good afterwards, and I haven't seen anything bad result from my using it from time to time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
    The one thing I don't really get - are people really putting baking soda and vinegar in their hair at the same time?! That seems like a bad idea considering that's what I use to clean my drains. : )
    But on their own? No problem for me. She just sounds like she doesn't like those ingredients for some reason.
  • DevushkaDevushka Registered Users Posts: 1,080
    I hadn't even thought about the possibility of people using baking soda and acv at the same time. That would be pretty messed up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file