FSG help!

Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I made my first batch of FSG. I kept it simple, 1/4 cup of flax seeds, 2 cups water and added 4 drops of lavender oil. I washed my hair, added light leave in (Suave) and raked/scrunched in the FSG. I added a drop of BRHG to last scoop of FSG and smoothed that over canopy and on ends. While wet, looked very similar to KCCC. Very nice clumps but once dry:tongue6:...
Definitely not enough hold and I expected greater shine. By the end of the day, my hair just looked dry, frizzy and poofy.

So, do I add more regular gel over the FSG? Do I need a richer leave in since there is nothing emollient in the FSG? Do I add other things to the FSG to give it more hold and shine? I don't want to give up just yet but if my regular gels which don't require any preparation are working for me then do I bother with this? :confused1:
3a/b, fine texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, mod-CG 7/11/11

Poo: KC Come Clean, SM Moisture Retention
CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
Style: AIF, HESMU, Biolage gelee, KCCC
LOOB for second day hair

Like BS/ACV rinses, limit protein/humectants.

Comments

• Farah85Farah85 Posts: 90Registered Users
    I definitely recommend layering a richer conditioner under that FSG. This is what I currently add to my FSG and over a rich condish it gives amazing hold (on it's own!!) and shine. For special occasions I layer gel over it but most days I just use this:

FSG
    aloe vera juice (I extract it myself from the stalks but I suppose AVG would do)
    epsom salt
    an oil (coconut, grapeseed, avocado, whatever I have on hand really)
    Honey
    essential oils (mix of citrus and lavender)
    citric acid
    xanthan or guar gum (teeny bit)

It's well worth experimenting with the additions and finding what works for you, because when it works, it REALLY works.

Also, be generous with FSG. You really want to keep piling it on until it makes a loud squish noise when u scrunch it in..

HTH
    Texture: fine-medium
    Porosity: high-normal
    Elasticity: normal
    Experimenting with making my own products. Hair loves protein.
  • Cuban-curl-ECuban-curl-E Posts: 476Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Farah, thanks for replying! I've read others add honey for hold but I'm a little of afraid of aloe and honey since I live in high dews almost year round. I guess there's no harm in trying.

When u add gel on top of the FSG, what does the FSG do? Enhances curl? Is it mostly fine haired curlies that like FSG?

Thanks for the help and support!

CO: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Renpure Argan Oil, YTCucumbers, Sevi Pumpkin
    LOOB for second day hair

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You might try this: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/131390-fsg-curl-cream.html

My favorite FSG recipe is in my blog - I use the same amount of flax as you did, and 1 1/2 cups water, then I add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, 2 teaspoons aloe vera gel (the edible kind - that's optional, but doesn't seem to cause frizz like other humectants) and some apricot kernel oil. I usually add protein too, but that might not be "the thing" for you!

This gives medium hold that you can scrunch out to feel quite soft. If mine gets poufy of loses shape, I either spray with water and rearrange or use stronger hold gel over the FSG.

FSG without any sort of thickener doesn't give much hold. Guar gum feels like a softer hold to me - fluffier hair. Cornstarch (1/2 to 1 teaspoon added to a little cold water, then added to strained FSG and THEN re-boiled to thicken) works pretty well. With thickeners, you usually have to really beat up the FSG. A blender would work, a stick (immersion) blender is perfect if you have one.

Gel on top of FSG gives you a lot more commercial-gel-type hold - the FSG dilutes it a little, so it is softer. FSG gives nice clumps if you use enough (as Farah said, you need to hear it "squishing") and curl enhancement, adds shine and moisture.
    With a thickener, you'll get even nicer clumps (and more hold).
    There's no right or wrong way - just whatever works.
    IAGirl, your FSG cream sounds really good! I'm definitely gonna try it. I was also considering adding cornstarch but thought it might make my dark hair look dull?

My first (and only) application of FSG I expected low/no hold but thought I'd have nice shine and softness. I was surprised at how dull, dry and frizzy hair looked. My "naked" hair is shinier!

Thanks again for your tips and explanations. Very helpful. :)

LOOB for second day hair

There's one wavy redhead who uses FSG with cornstarch and never remarked that it dulls her hair. I only made it once and didn't use enough cornstarch, so I can't really comment.
    If you do like protein in stylers, I often add Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (from Sally's) to my FSG and it's great for extra curl enhancement and a bit more shine. I usually use from 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon per batch.

With FSG (because it's cheap) use a lot. "More is more!" You can always scrunch with a towel to remove excess. You want to totally saturate and surround every strand with flaxen goo. Think "paper mache" and you'll have the right idea :)

If the lavender oil was an essential oil, you might use a more emollient "base oil" like apricot kernel or avocado or whatever you've got. Canola oil works great! Coconut or olive are good for coarser hair or to soften.
    Thanks IAgirl. I'm trying ur FSG curl cream this weekend. I have been trying to stay away from proteins and humectants with good results. I live in south Florida and humectants make me frizzier. Do you think a touch of honey would be ok? I really want as much hold as I can get.

LOOB for second day hair

Honey gives really super hold. It will grab moisture out of the air - whatever that means for you. For me, it's okay because my hair gets curlier and I don't mind the frizz because I don't have a lot of hair.
    But... if you use some coconut oil over your FSG with honey (to SOTC, for example) it might keep out some of the ambient water vapor.
    Ok IAgirl, I made the flax curl cream and it's drying in my hair right now! It was hard to get 4 drops of honey. Not sure how big a drop is but I added what looks like the size of a pencil eraser. I also added tiny splash of canola oil like you suggested since I didnt have any of the typical emollient oils. I'll let you know what I think once dry.

LOOB for second day hair

• Farah85Farah85 Posts: 90Registered Users
    Farah, thanks for replying! I've read others add honey for hold but I'm a little of afraid of aloe and honey since I live in high dews almost year round. I guess there's no harm in trying.

My hair is on the coarse side of medium so I need hold to keep flyaways under control. When u add gel on top of the FSG, what does the FSG do? Enhances curl? Is it mostly fine haired curlies that like FSG?

Thanks for the help and support!

For me, the FSG is both a curl enhancer (esp since I put magnesium sulfate in it) and a great source of goodies for my hair (I think of it as a semi leave in although it is never enough on it's own. I use coconut oil and lots of fresh aloe vera juice and along with the gel itself I think it has an overall moisturizing / emollient effect on my hair). The hard hold gel I use when I know I'm going to dance and sweat a lot and I need the curls not to frizz like crazy. I suppose I could add more honey but there is a point after which I can't scrunch the honey crunch out. I don't think I'm very fine haired (I'm not sure though) and I love FSG because it just feels like I'm doing good stuff for my hair. Sorry I can't explain it in a more science-y way!
    Texture: fine-medium
    Porosity: high-normal
    Elasticity: normal
    Experimenting with making my own products. Hair loves protein.
    IAgirl, I'm sorry to say the flax curl cream didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. It's also been raining nonstop for last 48 hours. I think the honey didn't give enough hold, only gave me frizz.

Farah, that's for the reply and info. Unfortunately I don't think homemade FSG is for me. I'm getting really good and consistent results with my other products. I really wanted to like it but I don't see it doing much for me right now.

Maybe I'll revisit when dews drop a bit (as much as they can in south Florida)!

LOOB for second day hair

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you ever do revisit it, trying adding some corn starch!

And I do use a harder hold gel over the top of my FSG!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
    Jas76 wrote: »
    If you ever do revisit it, trying adding some corn starch!

And I do use a harder hold gel over the top of my FSG!

Hey Jas. What did the cornstarch do for you? I tried homemade FSG but just didn't think it was worth it. I still have to add my regular stylers over it so what's the point? I really wanted to like it but it just made me frizzy and very poofy.

LOOB for second day hair

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The cornstarch adds hold. I think it was Wavynwild who recently posted her cornstarch recipe, and I sort of went by that.

I can't really compare it, because I have never tried FSG without it! But I have used products with cornstarch before and they worked well in my hair.

But, like any product, maybe it just doesn't work for you! I do have to add a hard hold gel over it, but other than a little LI before it, I don't have to use anything else. It is very curl enhancing for me, and I need about half as much of the hard hold gel over it.

(I also added some epsom to it, just fyi.)

I know some people like to add honey for more hold, too, but I'm a little afraid of the honey causing friz for me.

I made mine with the epsom and cornstarch because I know my hair likes those, and because those can't be added later. But I've been experimenting with adding things in my palm with the FSG, so maybe I'll try a drop of honey. (I've added jojoba oil, glycerin - in the form of KY - hello, clumps!!... I think that's it so far.)

You might try doing that - make another bare-bones batch but add cornstarch, try it that way, then try adding some honey or something in your palm the next time.

But again, it is possible your hair just doesn't like it! My hair loves magnesium and protein, and FSG has both! I need the hard hold over it because my hair is pretty porous and tends to wilt over the day. But I've seen considerable difference in curl pattern with it!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file