CurlTalk

oatmeal

VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
I made some oatmeal today. Old fashioned oats cooked in vanilla almond milk. When it was almost done, I stirred in some ground flax seed, golden raisins, chopped pecans, a little drizzle of agave nectar and a sprinkling of cinnamon. It was pretty tasty. I pack breakfast and lunch every day for work. I'm wondering if I could make up a big batch of this oatmeal on the weekend to pack every a.m. for breakfast. Do you think this would work to reheat in a microwave, or would it be too gloppy (yes, I believe "gloppy" to be a word)?
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I wonder if you added some more milk while it was reheating if that will work.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    It should work fine. As Xcptnl said you'll probably have to add some liquid. You may want to take the nuts & seeds separately then add later because they might get soggy (nuts most likely). I don't like soggy nuts, heh. Get yer mind outta the gutter!
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Yes, I do this--I make a huge batch on weekends and reheat with milk and water when I eat it during the week. I usually do the add ins (I like dried cranberries, raisins and cut up apples) daily so they don't ferment or get soggy in the oatmeal.
  • SparklyCurlsSparklyCurls Posts: 163Registered Users
    I make a huge batch in my crokpot for the week ahead. When done I fill them into individual containers so I can grab & go during weekdays. I don't add any liquid and just heat a few minutes in the microwave then add fresh fruit or nuts.

I just finished a batch of pumpkin (real pumpkin) oatmeal for this week and at the same time I made a batch of granola to sprinkle on top. I love fall oatmeal!

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I love oatmeal of all types.
    This thread is timely for me. I've been wanting sa breakfast food in the am and it reminds me to make some oatmeal for the week.

How much. Pumpkin do you use in yours? It sounds wonderful!

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Southern Colorado Curly
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies, y'all. I think I'll make a big batch tomorrow, bag the add-ins daily, and reheat with a little more milk and//or water. Yum, yum...can't wait! :)

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    missbanjo wrote: »
    This thread is timely for me. I've been wanting sa breakfast food in the am and it reminds me to make some oatmeal for the week.

How much. Pumpkin do you use in yours? It sounds wonderful!

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    I thought this sounded good, too, so I did some googling and found these:
    Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe : Aarti Sequeira : Food Network
    Pumpkin Oatmeal Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    Pumpkin Oatmeal
    Dishing Up Delights: Pumpkin Oatmeal

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I don't care for rolled oats that sit around, since they are gloppy. Maybe you could try steel-cut oats instead of rolled oats --- they hold better.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I'm deleting my posts on the non hair section (that don't involve nail polish) because of NC.com's policy on quoting us on other parts of their site.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpedaheh.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    I almost bought the steel cut oatmeal...I just didn't know the difference so I got the regular old fashioned kind. The crock pot recipe looks interesting...will have to give it a try.

Sent from my DROID2

^ They're rolled oats. Heh, it bugs me a little that they get called "regular oatmeal". *shrug* You can buy rolled barley, rolled kamut, and so on. Rolled is basically cut in flakes. Steel-cut is a different, coarser cut. You can also get whole oat groats in health food stores. I think calling it oatmeal Is why people find it odd that you can go savory like any other grain (steel-cut or whole groats make tasty risotto, for example).
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Steel cut oats are definitely the way to go if you want to make a big batch to reheat during the week, we do this a lot.

And I agree about the newer slow cookers, they cook hotter now and I've done a few overnight oat recipes in mine and it always burns along the edge.

We had steel cut oats for breakfas this morning with honey and cinnamon. Yum!

Soggy nuts. haha :laughing7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    I've made clear my feelings on slow cookers :p, but for those who like them:
    Overnight Steel-Cut Oats with Almond Butter & Honey recipe from food52

The slow cooker is used as a bain-marie, so it works for those who feel new ones get too hot.

I just soak steel-cut oats overnight. Takes just a few minutes of cooking the next day.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I suggest ONLY using Steel Cut Oats in the crockpot because of the longer cooking time.

missbanjo: as for the question about using REAL pumpkin - I do 1 cup of steel cut oats and 2 cups pureed real pumpkin in the crockpot.

Most recipes call for canned pumpkin but I made two pumpkin pies this weekend so I set aside some for the oatmeal.

^Pouring boiling water over them and leaving them overnight means you only have to cook for 5 minutes.

And much like one made with rice, an oat risotto takes about 25-30 minutes.
    I get that it's not an option for breakfast, but relegating steel-cut oats to one single way of preparation seems a shame.

There's nothing less real about canned pumpkin. It's been shown to beat out fresh pumpkin puree many times for baking. Squash puree is often more flavorful, though (especially kabocha), but even then, the flavor is much better if the (plain) puree is hung to dry overnight. For sweets, canned works very well (and in fact many people tend to prefer pies made with the canned, in part because people don't sufficiently drain the fresh). It's for savory that fresh squash puree really makes a difference (where I'd never used canned) like in gnocchi or soups, or a savory custard. If you have fresh, it's nice to stir into something, but it's no more "real" than canned. I think for sweet purposes, fresh tastes better if you get a good squash, make a proper purée (pass through a food mill or tamis), and drain well, and I like making pies with fresh, but I'm just saying canned pumpkin is just cooked down pumpkin as well. It's real pumpkin.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I agree there is nothing wrong with canned pumpkin - I use it when pumpkins are not in season - just make sure if you buy the Libby's brand that it's 100% Pure Pumpkin and not Pumpkin Pie Mix ... the cans look alike.

Another pumpkin oatmeal recipe that is super easy is Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal - add a few nuts on top and it tastes like homemade pumpkin pie.

Saria wrote: »
    I don't care for rolled oats that sit around, since they are gloppy. Maybe you could try steel-cut oats instead of rolled oats --- they hold better.

I just found out I like steel cut sooo much better!! Who knew?

Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »

I'm surprised to hear so many people like rolled oats reheated. That never seemed to work well for me.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    xcptnl wrote: »

I'm surprised to hear so many people like rolled oats reheated. That never seemed to work well for me.

Oh I meant in general. I do not make ahead since I work from home.

Central Massachusetts

I found this recipe for pumpkin oatmeal. It uses a pretty small crockpot though.

1/2 cup of steel cut oats
    2 cups of unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
    pinch of ground cloves
    brown sugar, for serving
    chopped pecans, for serving

The night before oil the crockery of a 1 1/2 - 2 quart crock pot. Combine the oats, milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice and cloves in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.

In the morning stir the oatmeal to get a consistent texture. Serve in bowls topped with brown sugar and pecans.

Central Massachusetts

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    xcptnl, for a smaller recipe like that a bain-marie like Saria suggested would be perfect. I have this slow cooker with 3 different sized bowls and it's good for making a bain-marie. I know I've used it once for something that needed a water bath, but for the life of me I can't remember what the recipe was and now that's gonna drive me nuts all day!

And I'm craving oatmeal. I guess there are worse things. :toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Thanks Springy. I was actually sharing the recipe for others (I am not a huge pumpkin fan-I know..crazy!!). I am a brown sugar or maple syrup/cranberry (or dried cherries) oatmeal gal.
    Central Massachusetts

The slow cooker is used as a bain-marie, so it works for those who feel new ones get too hot.

In looking for oatmeal recipes cooked overnight in the crockpot, I found that the general opinion is to cook it in a water bath, soooo I bought steel cut oatmeal tonight and will use these ingredients:

1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup milk (I'll use my almond milk)
    chopped apple
    dried cranberries
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tbsp butter
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    honey and/or agave nectar
    ground flax seed

I'm going to put the ingredients in a bowl resting on foil in the bottom of the crockpot, then fill the crockpot with water to about the same height as the ingredients in the inner bowl. Cover and cook on low overnight. I can't wait to wake up to the smell of delicious, homemade oatmeal! :)

• MNMarxistMNMarxist Posts: 109Registered Users
    I've read this thread with interest but remain skeptical. I've tried several methods for preparing steel cut oats overnight; all we gruesomly edible. GF is experiment8g with received "knowldge."
    ^Well, you can just soak them. Then the next day, put the pot on the heat and cook for a few minutes until tender. Add milk or cream (or ricotta) at the end. Toss some dried fruit in with the oatmeal to plump up. Top with nuts. Sprinkle layer of sugar in the raw on top and brulee. Serve with caramelized apples or stewed apples. Or, top with sliced thinly bananas and then sprinkle with sugar and brulee.

And if you don't want to soak, it still takes just around 30 minutes to cook them:
    Breakfast for Lunch: Steel-Cut Oats with Dates, Coconut, Cinnamon and Pecans | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn

But if I would suggest making steel-cut oats risotto style. Even if you don't go savory, and do a typical sweet porridge, it produces creamy oats with great texture. You have a lot of control over what the texture and consistency is because because you're adding the liquid gradually.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    VTmom wrote: »

In looking for oatmeal recipes cooked overnight in the crockpot, I found that the general opinion is to cook it in a water bath, soooo I bought steel cut oatmeal tonight and will use these ingredients:

1 cup steel cut oats
    4 cups water
    1/2 cup milk (I'll use my almond milk)
    chopped apple
    dried cranberries
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tbsp butter
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    honey and/or agave nectar
    ground flax seed

I'm going to put the ingredients in a bowl resting on foil in the bottom of the crockpot, then fill the crockpot with water to about the same height as the ingredients in the inner bowl. Cover and cook on low overnight. I can't wait to wake up to the smell of delicious, homemade oatmeal! :)
    mmm...turned out sooo good! :)

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    pedaheh wrote: »
    I don't like regular oatmeal because of the texture, but do like steel cut oatmeal. You can make steel cut oatmeal in large batches and reheat with no issues.
    FWIW, I made the Aarti Party pumpkin recipe and didn't like it at all.
    This recipe works if you have an old crock pot. Preferably avocado, harvest gold, orange, or brown crock pot. New crock pots get too hot and the oatmeal burns.

Adapted from Alton Brown's overnight oatmeal
    Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal
    serves 8 (or less)
    INGREDIENTS
    1 C steel cut oats
    1 C dried fruit (dried cranberries or dates are the sweetest)

½ C buttermilk or milk, or half-n-half (Almond milk should be fine)

4 C water

Before you go to bed, put all ingredient into your mid-century crock pot. Cover and cook on low overnight, eight to nine hours. Stir. Add brown sugar, honey, or cinnamon to taste in the morning. The sugar will burn if you add it at night. (I skip the extra sugar) Leftovers reheat nicely in the microwave.
    I also sometimes make this with 1/2 the amount of fruit and add cooked apples in the morning.

I am cracking up over the bolded, because my crockpot is orange!

I think my mom gave it to me to encourage me to cook, back when I was single and wasn't much on cooking. I hardly ever use it though.
    OMG this is so good! I did a bain-marie thing and used:
    3c old fashioned rolled oats
    5 c water
    1 cup milk

Cooked on low for about 7 hours, then turned it to warm. Dsd has breakfast before going to school! They serve breakfast there but this year there's not much time for it AT ALL, grrr.

Anyway, added real maple syrup, brown sugar, pecans and some almond butter. The almond butter is fantastic!
    Southern Colorado Curly
    I also wanted to add that you can also simply put steel-cut oats, salt, and water (or milk) in a pot, bring to a boil, and turn off the heat and cover. Leave overnight, and it will be cooked the next day. Overnight steel cut oats, no crockpot. ;)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg