After a year of BKTing, what you should know

I've had extensive history with BKTing. First, I am naturally a 4a curl. My first BKed lasted me all of one week. The stylist didn't have a clue, and while I LOVED that all it did was soften my curl, without removing the 4A texture, it didn't last long enough to suit me. I then went to a dominican alon where there stylist used a MUCH stronger formula and really loosed my curl to a 3a, but even this didn't last. In a matter of weeks my roots were noticibly frizzier. From then on, I began applying at home BKTs to my roots every month to match my roots to the rest of my 3a,3b Curls. I stopped doing that about 3 months ago, and now I have VERY different textures on my head. I even feel that my own natural hair tangles more and is coarser than I recall, but that could just be me. Anyway, I'm starting over. No I won't big chop. I love hair too much, but I am weaving for a year or more to grow it all out, and start over. I will most likely BTK again, bu t I will do it at home using my favorite, Marcia T chocolate formula. I like doing it at home because it allows me to really control my results. The point of this post is to let you ladies know that BKTs CAN be permanant if too much heat is applied during the process. I think it is something that can't be applied all the time as it WILL straighten out your hair over time. Thankfully, I didn't experience a whole lot of breakage in the process, and I'm hoping my hair WILL grow back to normal in a year's time. When I attempt to BKT again, it will probably be in the summer months only. Doing it for a year was like giving myself a relaxer without the breakage.

Brands I've used:
Rejuvenol
Organix
QOD max
QOD gold
Marcia T chocolate
Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
Dimefabulous-Twitter name
http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/

Comments

• ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    Hey, Hairguru! This is a great idea for those who are wondering about the long-term effects of BKTing. I don't come to nc.com much at all anymore, so I'm glad to have stumbled in on this thread on one of my rare visits and would like to add my own update, if you don't mind. It doesn't seem that there is much positive experienced-based information being exchanged about BKTing here anymore.

November 3 will mark my 2-yr BKT anniversary, and I'm still happy with my naturally 3c/4a, now 2c/3a waist-length hair. I've maintained for a very long time now that the effects of BKTing will be permanent if performed on the same hair repeatedly--I would say 3 or more times. My original BKT'd 3c/4a hair ends are a permanent 2c/3a now. I haven't BKT'd them in nearly a year and I probably never will again. I do, however, spread a little keratin down through the ends and blowdry them, but I only flat iron the new growth, overlapping into the previously BKT'd hair about 1". I do this root touch-up process every 4-6 weeks.

I still stand by my belief that more than just BKT-to-hair "bonding" occurs. I believe it breaks down the existing keratin layer(s) on each hair strand, which leads to the curl relaxation, and the amount of relaxation and length of time of the relaxation is dependent upon the hair's natural texture (fine, coarse) and its condition. My hair is super baby fine and fragile, but the only appreciable damage my hair has suffered is from the initial highlighting I had done in November 2009 and again in January 2010. I haven't use any commercial hair dyes on my hair since January 2010 and I color my graying roots using a combination of cassia/henna/buxus for slightly red ash blonde highlights. The highlighted hair is thinner, stragglier than the rest of my hair, and I'm just patiently trimming the ends off bit by bit because like you, a big chop is not in my vocabulary. I've worked waaaaay too hard growing my hair out to chop off more than a couple of inches at a time.

My hair texture is very soft and fine. Since I began relaxing my hair at 11 and didn't stop until I was 42, I don't know what my natural virgin hair texture actually feels like, but now my hair can be described as super soft and weightless. It won't hold a curl--natural or otherwise--and I have to boost the curl power with a strong gel like BRHG. Without product, it's a slightly frizzy 2a at best. I never wear my hair straightened and curled, so it's not a problem for me. So, Hairguru, when you say some of your hair feels "coarse" are you really meaning to say "rough?" Coarse is simply the opposite of fine, though many people misuse it as a synonym for "rough." I don't feel that my hair has suffered any damage from the BKT in the traditional sense of the word. I firmly believe that the damage that I'm seeing is from the highlighting. Color lifting has always been very, very damaging to my fine hair. I'm not even sure why I did it. I didn't expect the highlighting to be so extensive for one thing. I was just expecting a few light streaks in my otherwise very dark hair, but she did three different shades of highlights, and any time my color is lifted, it results in severe damage. Always.

I have not suffered any obvious ill effects (as yet) from the formaldehyde exposure. I am still using QOD Gold, though I still have some of the original QOD Max bottle, I much prefer the Gold because it seems to penetrate better, and I like that there is only a 2-day wait, which seems an eternity with straight hair. I hear that formulas containing aldehydes will be banned here in the US soon, so I'm going to grab another bottle of the Gold before that happens and hopefully it will last "forever."

My only real complaint is that because my hair is so soft and now that it's so long, the curl is pulled out of the hair near the roots, even though my hair is as light as a feather. I'm looking at that pic of my hair in my sig below, and noticing how much curlier the hair close to my head is than it is now. I really struggle with volume at and hear the roots. I get good volume for about a 2 weeks as my new roots come in, then they just get ridiculous and I have to BKT them. I probably just need a good layered haircut, but I don't trust anyone.

Good luck on your continued hair journey, Hairguru. It'll probably be several more months before I visit the board again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Registered Users Posts: 2,264
    FYI regarding DIY application: I just purchased another bottle of QOD Gold from the QOD USA website. I noticed some ambiguity in the application directions in different areas on the website, as well as what keratin4u has stated here on the board, so I emailed them directly, and the response was that now, it is recommended that the hair is washed 20 mins AFTER the flat ironing process is complete. That turns the whole application process on its ear!

No more waiting 72, 48, or even 24 hours if you don't want to! I don't understand why not, but after spending several hours applying the BKT, I'm happy to suffer through one night with straight hair and just wash it the next day during my regularly scheduled shower. I'm not interested in washing and blowdrying all over again immediately following the flat-ironing.

I'm really curious as to where there is no longer an extended wait time. I am loving my BKT'd hair so much, this is just icing on the cake! I'm sorry to read all of the stories of BKT dissatisfaction here because if I'd had access to this process earlier in my life, I'd probably be President of the US right now--it's been *that* revolutionary to my life. It just came a little late.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • AphroDivaAphroDiva Registered Users Posts: 183
    Thank you for sharing these posts and the info on the QOD Gold! I am still in love with my BKT hair. I am also just retouching the roots, but do a keratin treatment conditioning to the rest. I add some BKT to my fave deep condish, cover with plastic cap and apply heat. Hair comes out so shiny and refresh!
    Glad to continue reading about positive results!
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Registered Users Posts: 255
    Hmmmm idk if the damage I suffer is from flat ironing, dying, and/or the BKT. But it's definitely breaking at the ends and since I'm having a baby I don't want to expose him to breathing any chemicals anyway. I will say that it was awesome while it lasted but (slowly) back to kinky curls for me,
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file