CurlTalk

3D Curl Pattern - The missing Link?

shainalashainala Posts: 125Registered Users
I posted this on the 3c forum, but I want your opinions too. So I'm not really obsessed with curl pattern, I do understand that a lot of other hair characteristics play into whether our hair shares commonalities with the hair of other peeps, however, I do think that defining one's curl pattern can be somewhat useful (especially if you are trying to figure out how elongated or defined a certain product or styling method will make your curls)
I've found over the last almost year that my curl pattern seems to sit somewhere in between the curls on my 3c and 4a sisters (and brothers). Rather than trying to squeeze myself into one of these categories, I started to describe my hair pattern without any product or manipulation as 3D....
Do ya'll feel me? Is there a missing link in your opinion? Or am I just confused?
Oh here are pics of my curls.
Attached Thumbnails 16121d1317849223t-curl-pattern-3d-am-i-only-one-who-thinks-there-missing-link-110923-111131.jpg 16122d1317849239t-curl-pattern-3d-am-i-only-one-who-thinks-there-missing-link-111005-141546.jpg

Comments

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    That's why I've give up on curl pattern hair typing. LOL Its too darn confusing and it doesnt really mean much. When asked, I say that I'm 4a/3c. but I'm sure there is some 3D, 3E, 4F. etc.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    How far up the alphabet do you go, before you cross over into the next number?

What is "3D" hair? :sad5:
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    Ninjarette wrote: »
    How far up the alphabet do you go, before you cross over into the next number?

What is "3D" hair? :sad5:

nevermind :sad3:
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    :laughing4: This is too much. I thought that this post was going to be about a 3D model guide for hair typing.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • shainalashainala Posts: 125Registered Users
    That's why I've give up on curl pattern hair typing. LOL Its too darn confusing and it doesnt really mean much. When asked, I say that I'm 4a/3c. but I'm sure there is some 3D, 3E, 4F. etc.

Th only reason I'm climbing back on the Curl Pattern bandwagon is because the other day a woman I know who has looser but less defined curls than mine but considers herself a 3c asked me what product I was using in my hair, wondering if she could get a similar look. I started thinking that along with porosity, density, and strand coarseness, it was useful to say my hair, product free is "kinky, ringletty, curly" kinda in-between what you'd think of as typical "3c" or "4a"
    You're right it doesn't mean much, it's more just another descriptor that helps to explain a little about our curls
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    Is this really necessary ?

Apart from hair forums where else would I need to describe my hair as 4a/3c/4b/3d?

I just don't understand the purpose of 3d
  • shainalashainala Posts: 125Registered Users
    :laughing4: This is too much. I thought that this post was going to be about a 3D model guide for hair typing.
    love it!
    Hey that would be really useful.
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users

I was thinking the same
  • Mskeisha99Mskeisha99 Posts: 32Registered Users
    shainala wrote: »
    I posted this on the 3c forum, but I want your opinions too. So I'm not really obsessed with curl pattern, I do understand that a lot of other hair characteristics play into whether our hair shares commonalities with the hair of other peeps, however, I do think that defining one's curl pattern can be somewhat useful (especially if you are trying to figure out how elongated or defined a certain product or styling method will make your curls)
    I've found over the last almost year that my curl pattern seems to sit somewhere in between the curls on my 3c and 4a sisters (and brothers). Rather than trying to squeeze myself into one of these categories, I started to describe my hair pattern without any product or manipulation as 3D....
    Do ya'll feel me? Is there a missing link in your opinion? Or am I just confused?
    Attached Thumbnails 16121d1317849223t-curl-pattern-3d-am-i-only-one-who-thinks-there-missing-link-110923-111131.jpg 16122d1317849239t-curl-pattern-3d-am-i-only-one-who-thinks-there-missing-link-111005-141546.jpg

I kno exactly wut u mean bc I feel my pattern rests btwn 4a & 3c. Most folks say I'm 3c, but I feel like I'm 3d...
    3D...
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    Mskeisha99 wrote: »

I kno exactly wut u mean bc I feel my pattern rests btwn 4a & 3c. Most folks say I'm 3c, but I feel like I'm 3d...

42b1e99b-d54b-4f5a.jpg42b1e99b-d565-3c9a.jpg42b1e99b-d593-dbcf.jpg

You look 4a to me, but its too soon to tell for sure.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users

+1
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users

What makes you think you aren't 3c (straw-size curls) or 4a (Crochet needle size curls)? I don't get the confusion around this unless you have a mix of both in which case you could just refer to yourself as 3c/4a like many of us do.

I'm not sure a whole new letter is necessary. It makes it seem like you don't want to be a 4 category so you're going to create a new 3 category.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    NoodleNaps wrote: »

+1
    Looks 4a to me too.

First 4c, now 3d. What next, 4a point 5.:help:
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users

What makes you think you aren't 3c (straw-size curls) or 4a (Crochet needle size curls)? I don't get the confusion around this unless you have a mix of both in which case you could just refer to yourself as 3c/4a like many of us do.

I'm not sure a whole new letter is necessary. It makes it seem like you don't want to be a 4 category so you're going to create a new 3 category.

I was going to say just that. Some people (not saying the OP necessarily) will do nearly anything not to be considered a category 4. I can see someone wanting a type to just group their hair in without having to use more than one, but really there's very few people whose hair fits into one category. Most people have two if not three different textures on their head. It disheartens me when people try to fit their hair into a category it's not because 4 is still seen by some as the dreaded of hair types. You know how women are all "I'd become natural if my hair wasn't so "nappy""...4 is that "nappy" they don't want to be. Then again I guess I shouldn't care so much because other people's thoughts/opinions of their own hair has nothing to do with mine...

Like I said, I'm not trying to say I feel like you're saying all that OP because you seem sincere in what you're saying and I'm gathering that you don't feel your hair fits into any given types. I'm just saying that I don't think adding another type is necessary. If you feel that 3D should be a type though, go for it! These things aren't concrete. Shoot, be what you wanna be as long as it benefits your hair. :thumright:
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • cheveuxboucléscheveuxbouclés Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    I am not sure why people are so bent on typing hair. Even if I am a 4a and you are 4a, products can react differently on our hair because porosity and other issues. Also, everything is pretty much visual ( fotkis, blogs, youtube) and you can always find someone with hair that is similiar looking if you are that pressed to find products that may work on you. And like someone said, what purpose does it serve outside of boards? There are not many salons and BSS that subscribe to the system...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

I have given up on hair typing altogether. I get why a lot of people want to know, or would like to be able to say, "My hair is type blank." but in reality it's just something that will further confuse (& possibly frustrate) you. My hair can look anything from completely undefined frizz, to super tight coils, to ramen noodle looking waves. It depends on the weather, products I used, is my hair dry or well moisturized, etc.

Anyway, your hair is pretty :) That's all that I think matters lol
    Thx, GN.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • curlylarucurlylaru Banned Posts: 143Banned Users
    Your hair looks 4a to me.
    I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    @ adthomas *DEAD* @ 4a point 5. *DEAD*
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    curlylaru wrote: »

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.

I don't have a problem if people like to type their hair; that's fine and dandy and by all means, do you. I just don't like those who use the hair typing system to try and put down those who don't have the "ideal" texture, because it happens more than not. 4a's also aren't the only ones who don't like to type, and not all 4a's have any qualms with typing. And I hope I don't sound mean because I'm tired and don't always word things in the best way. Haha.

I don't feel like the system (I feel like we're talking about the government or something) suits me at all. Every image I've seen of different hair types never seems anything similar to mine. But I know it DOES help a lot of people, so I'm not trying to condemn it. I just condemn the negative mindset it puts some people in when they start on their good hurr bad hurr mess, ya know?
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
    Those good hair / bad hair terms aren't in my vocabulary and I don't give that stuff a second thought. Anyone that uses those terms or believes that nonsense is in my opinion self hating and pathetic. What kind of person would label the hair most common in their own race as bad or associate it with being something negative?

That silliness aside differentiating hair types is very beneficial in finding hair styles, products and techniques for me and many others.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    my 2 cents:

- LOL/smh
    - it's interesting how the only people i see who label their hair "3d" are people i consider to be some kind of type 4. for that reason, i'm inclined to side eye to anybody who seriously considers their hair type to be 3d. IMO, it's another symptom of "good" hair/"bad" hair syndrome.
    - with that being said perception is reality (thank you courtney from most eligible dallas for that gem). i've seen plenty of people in the 3c/4a/4b forums label their hair differently from what i would. hell, after 8 yrs of being natural and 7 yrs on this board, i start to question whether or not i'm a 3c. i say i'm a 3c so i'm a 3c.
    -...but then i realize, what difference does it make? the products i use, the styles i do (or don't do), how much my hair is similar or different to someone else's, etc won't change if i decide to label my hair 3d or 4a. and that's exactly why i think the "i need to know my hair type to ensure the quality of my routine theory is a bunch of silliness.
    - at the end of the day, if calling yourself 3d makes you feel better then go with it. a rose by any other name, is still a rose.

Hmmm...well I'm at 4a/4b, and I take issue, because people seem to think Andre Walker's system is fool-proof. I've seen folks with kinks like mine, and we can't use the same products. I've seen folks who definitely fit in the "type 3" and below use products that work well for my hair.

That's the point that those who rely on hair typing don't seem to get. There are other factors that weigh in on whether or not a product will work for you.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
    Y is there negativity surrounding the 3D issue? It was merely a question or thought to ponder for those that could identify with being between 3c & 4a. I don't think that it is showing an indifference to good or bad hair. A lot of ppl cant/dont fit into the various patterns that are in place. Let's be positive and uplift one another to beautiful hair etc., regardless of the type. All types are good to me. We are here to support one another, not condemn and hinder. I hope I didn't offend any1 by identifying with being considered 3D. That wasn't my intention, I don't think it was the authors intention either. I had pics posted, but removed them bc I didn't c any other pics posted. The pics I posted were at 2 months. A month ago ppl said my pics showed 3c hair, now ppl said these were 4a. Idk what I have bc my hair had chemicals for 30 yrs. I just assumed that I must fall somewhere in the middle....either way, I'm happy with my decision to go natural & I love how my hair changes as it grows and the type has never been a real issue. Hope this helps you understand my point of view...

Y is there negativity surrounding the 3D issue? It was merely a question or thought to ponder for those that could identify with being between 3c & 4a. I don't think that it is showing an indifference to good or bad hair. A lot of ppl cant/dont fit into the various patterns that are in place. Let's be positive and uplift one another to beautiful hair etc., regardless of the type. All types are good to me. We are here to support one another, not condemn and hinder. I hope I didn't offend any1 by identifying with being considered 3D. That wasn't my intention, I don't think it was the authors intention either. I had pics posted, but removed them bc I didn't c any other pics posted. The pics I posted were at 2 months. A month ago ppl said my pics showed 3c hair, now ppl said these were 4a. Idk what I have bc my hair had chemicals for 30 yrs. I just assumed that I must fall somewhere in the middle....either way, I'm happy with my decision to go natural & I love how my hair changes as it grows and the type has never been a real issue. Hope this helps you understand my point of view...

Where's the "condemnation"? You feel "condemned"?
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    Whats the difference between 3c and 4a hair? The size of the curl?

If there would be a new category what is the difference between the 3c and the 3d?
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users
    Whats the difference between 3c and 4a hair? The size of the curl?

That would be my guess.

If there would be a new category what is the difference between the 3c and the 3d?

Curl size?

IDK, hair typing seems kinda irrelevant to/for me. If someone asks for our opinion on here I'll sometimes say what I think their curl type is. But it really doesn't matter to me. I've known since I was young that some products I can use in my hair but others I can't. It's all trial and error. Typing really isn't important to me. We're all curly, right? Why does the curl size matter?

On my EVO
    Ninjarette wrote: »

Hmmm...well I'm at 4a/4b, and I take issue, because people seem to think Andre Walker's system is fool-proof. I've seen folks with kinks like mine, and we can't use the same products. I've seen folks who definitely fit in the "type 3" and below use products that work well for my hair.

That's the point that those who rely on hair typing don't seem to get. There are other factors that weigh in on whether or not a product will work for you.

Who is Andre Walker?

This discussion has been closed.