Hair Type Change While Transitioning

Chala EbuChala Ebu Registered Users Posts: 5
So far I've been one year without a relaxer!!! For the first few months I was clueless as to how to wear my hair so I straightened the MESS out of it (damage much??) or put it in a bun.

However I've recently discovered this website from a friend so I've figured out how to encourage my natural waves with WATER, gel, and SheaMoisture products. My boyfriend also taught me how to "scrunch" since he's a 4c....

Which brings me to my question: how long does it take for the relaxed hair to go back to being natural? And also, could anyone help me figure out my hair type??

By the way, I REFUSE to do the "Big Chop" because I don't want short hair, and I'm sure the "bad hair" will go away eventually if I get a few inches cut off every few weeks right? And I don't think I have any legit curls, but I think I'm a 2c. Like wavy close to curly? But this confuses me because even though I am mixed (Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Trini...), my hair is like a Black person's hair minus the curls =/ [I was confused because the picture for the 2c is a white girl.]

Comments

• forbeeforbee Registered Users Posts: 441
    Hey there! Congrats on being one year relaxer free!

As far as cutting your hair, you don't have to big chop. As you said, you can trim as you go. You can even determine the length of your transition/how much you trim off every time you trim if your hair is relatively undamaged. For example, if you want to trim off a half inch every month until you are natural (or less and more), go right ahead! You just need to keep in mind that your natural hair and relaxed hair will like different things, which can make transitioning difficult.

You are fully natural when all your relaxed/straight ends are cut off.

As far as determining hair type, it would be easier to tell for sure once the relaxed ends are cut off. While you are relaxed, the straight ends may be weighing down the curly roots. Though you may be able to guess at your type (I mean, you obviously aren't a type 4), you might be off (e.g. you guess 2c but you are really 3a, that sorta thing).

And it is fully possible to have wavy hair if you are multiethnic, black, or any race. This link is to a black woman with wavy hair: Reflections of a wavy-haired natural | Black Girl with Long Hair

I believe this woman is also a wavy-haired woman of color as well. http://www.youtube.com/user/LeobodyC5

I hope that helped at least a little.
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Registered Users Posts: 236 Curl Neophyte
    You should definitely check out the thread dedicated to Long-term transitioners as it clearly sounds like that's the route you are going to take. I did the same thing with no regrets and learned a lot about my hair along the way. In the Long-term transitioners thread, there's a lot of great information from transitioners like yourself in addition to the great advise/info that forbee gave.

Your question "how long does it take for the relaxed hair to go back to being natural?" at first seemed strange as relaxed hair will never go back to being natural on its own but then I thought about a long time ago people used to do something to their hair to make it "revert" to a pre-relaxed state, which is something I haven't heard of anyone doing in quite some time, but I also for some reason, didn't think that "reverting" is guaranteed to reveal your natural texture simply because of the chemical processes involved. I'd stay away from all that and if anything, do twists or braids to encourage a consistent curl/wave pattern from root to tip.
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • Chala EbuChala Ebu Registered Users Posts: 5
    Ok thanks!! I'll look for that thread now :D
  • Chala EbuChala Ebu Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thanks forbee!! I had already actually "liked" that Black Girl with Long Hair on Facebook before because of the funny name but I've never actually took a look at it until now so thanks!! Your post was very helpful!! =)
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Registered Users Posts: 1,665
    The reason why your new growth is a 2c is probably from heat damage since you said you straightened the mess out of your hair. The chemically altered part doesn't curl . . because well its been straightened. So yes, cutting your hair every few months an inch or two will work. As you go along stay away from heat, trim regularly, and just baby your hair.

You probably won't know your real curl pattern until your hair has been restored to health.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • forbeeforbee Registered Users Posts: 441
    Chala Ebu wrote: »
    Thanks forbee!! I had already actually "liked" that Black Girl with Long Hair on Facebook before because of the funny name but I've never actually took a look at it until now so thanks!! Your post was very helpful!! =)

Yes, I love Black Girl with Long Hair! It's one of my favorite natural hair websites. Good luck with the rest of your transition!
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file