CurlTalk

Why are you going natural?

hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
I want to know what are everyone's reasons for going natural. Also list your hair goals and hair inspirations.

The reason why I'm going natural is because I'm tired of hair damage/breakage due to relaxing my hair. My goals for my hair are: healthier hair, learning how to style my hair once it is natural, and I would like to have waist length hair again like I had when I was 9 years old. My hair inspirations are my aunts (3 are natural), two of my friends who are natural, basically any natural YouTube hair guru, and Janelle Monae, Kim Coles, along with other natural hair celebs (too many to name)
Products I'm currently :love10::
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
  • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
«1

Comments

  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    I was actually going to post this thread! :)

    I'm (sorta) going natural because I don't want to have ruined hair. Seeing other peoples stories and pictures of their beautiful curls was great incentive for me to want to make my hair look great. Also, I was tired of my hair not looking good and be "crunchy". Now I actually know how to care for it better!
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • zippyjzippyj Posts: 34Registered Users
    I am going natural because I'm tired of losing my hair! I have become severely anemic and when I was getting relaxers my hair would become dry and break. I had a large area in the back that started out a bald spot and grew back just fine once I stopped relaxing. It grew in very fast and my anemia didn't effect it. That is what made me want to go natural. I want my hair to be mid back length like it was when I was young. I'm inspired by every woman I see with natural hair.

    Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
  • KeybooKeyboo Posts: 33Registered Users
    Im going natural because I can for 1 lol and I hate waiting every 2 months to get it relax

    Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using CurlTalk App
  • MisscbMisscb Posts: 44Registered Users
    Hi ladies :-)

    I'm going natural because I've never done well with perms. Every time I got one I would end up with really bad burns on my scalp, it never failed no matter what type of perm I used. When I started to wear weaves and noticed how much growth I would have after I took the weaves out then I'd perm it again and in about a month it'll break off badly again, not to mention I'd have scabs and literally open sores on my scalp uuughhh I got fed up with it in January and I decided I'm done with perms. My bestie put me on to YouTube and I gained so much confidence and new ideas of how to style my natural hair, what products are good. I also want to show all my friends and fam that NO YOU DO NOT need a perm to look good!!! Or to where a neat pretty slicked back bun or ponytail, and that our natural curly coils and kinks are just as versatile as permed hair. For now my goal is APL hopefully I'll get there soon and I'd love to see the look of awe on the faces of all the people who are doubting me including my husband its gonna be PRICELESS!!


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • maycon55maycon55 Posts: 85Registered Users
    I went natural because I didn't have any other choice. Much hair hates Texas more than I do and after flat ironing almost every day (which I rarely ever did) and then a certain blow out my hair was in the worse shape of my life.

    I decided to stop fighting it and I am now almost 3 months in. I struggle everyday but it is getting better. I still don't like it and I seem to spend WAY more time on it than ever but I hope that with time this Will get better.

    I just want to go back a year and a half when my hair was shiny and bouncy and people told me I had great hair. My hair used to be my best attribute. Really....the only thing about me I found beautiful.



    Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
    2c/3a

    Texture: Medium-Fine
    Porosity: Normal
    Elasticity: Normal

    Poo: Kinky-Curly Come Clean
    Co-Wash:Suave Naturals Waterfall
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, TreSemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, Frizz -Free Volumizing Foam

    CG since July 2011 :shock:
  • ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Posts: 542Registered Users
    I moved to an area where it costs $100+ for a relaxer so I was kind of forced into trying natural hair. So far its been 3 months since my last relaxer and its been ok. I just keep my hair braided so I don't have to deal with the multiple textures. My goal is for my natural hair to grow and reach the middle of my back.
  • NapturalBeauti2NapturalBeauti2 Posts: 7Registered Users
    I'm going natural for the second time in my life, I just love the versatility of natural hair. Can't wait until I can do more styles, i'm in my TWA stage, but it's growing! :)

    NapturalBeauti2
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    zippyj wrote: »
    I am going natural because I'm tired of losing my hair! I have become severely anemic and when I was getting relaxers my hair would become dry and break. I had a large area in the back that started out a bald spot and grew back just fine once I stopped relaxing. It grew in very fast and my anemia didn't effect it. That is what made me want to go natural. I want my hair to be mid back length like it was when I was young. I'm inspired by every woman I see with natural hair.

    Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App

    I'm anemic too. I kind of grew out of it as I got older. I guess thats why me and relaxers don't get along. I never really like getting my hair relaxed either. I always has bad experiences with hair salons.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users
    I went to the salon for a touch up, and the stylist ran the relaxer all the way down to my ends. I was already dying AND high lighting along with the relaxers, so my hair was destroyed. I was getting Dominican blowouts and flat ironed once a week. I would take a break and wear it curly for a while, but my curls were a stringy mess, so I couldnt even do that anymore. I finally asked myself, "Why am I paying these people all this money to kill my hair?!" First, I cut it into a really short bob but still straightened it while I let some healthy hair grow in. After about 4 or 5 months I cut the rest off. I kept about 4 inches and started going natural and I love it!

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    I went to the salon for a touch up, and the stylist ran the relaxer all the way down to my ends. I was already dying AND high lighting along with the relaxers, so my hair was destroyed. I was getting Dominican blowouts and flat ironed once a week. I would take a break and wear it curly for a while, but my curls were a stringy mess, so I couldnt even do that anymore. I finally asked myself, "Why am I paying these people all this money to kill my hair?!" First, I cut it into a really short bob but still straightened it while I let some healthy hair grow in. After about 4 or 5 months I cut the rest off. I kept about 4 inches and started going natural and I love it!

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    My hair had became seriously damaged from going to Dominican Salons. About a year ago the back of my hair broke off in patches. I was still getting relaxers despite that. My hair in the back finally grew back but it's still somewhat weak, damaged, and short. I think a lot of my bad hair experiences and breakage came from lack of knowledge. I went through my entire childhood and pre-teen years of my mother styling my hair and braiding up weekly. As I got into high school she took me to a Dominican Salon in Harlem to get a relaxer. I really didn't understand the whole process and how to care for it through my teen years. Natural hair was all I knew. Now that I'm 22 I still have this ignorance to some degree about caring for relaxed hair. I did all I could to care for it when I stopped relying on hair dressers. My hair just does better in it's natural state. I went from childhood waist length hair to adult neck length hair. I became so sick of the breakage.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    I went to the salon for a touch up, and the stylist ran the relaxer all the way down to my ends. I was already dying AND high lighting along with the relaxers, so my hair was destroyed. I was getting Dominican blowouts and flat ironed once a week. I would take a break and wear it curly for a while, but my curls were a stringy mess, so I couldnt even do that anymore. I finally asked myself, "Why am I paying these people all this money to kill my hair?!" First, I cut it into a really short bob but still straightened it while I let some healthy hair grow in. After about 4 or 5 months I cut the rest off. I kept about 4 inches and started going natural and I love it!

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    My hair had became seriously damaged from going to Dominican Salons. About a year ago the back of my hair broke off in patches. I was still getting relaxers despite that. My hair in the back finally grew back but it's still somewhat weak, damaged, and short. I think a lot of my bad hair experiences and breakage came from lack of knowledge. I went through my entire childhood and pre-teen years of my mother styling my hair and braiding up weekly. As I got into high school she took me to a Dominican Salon in Harlem to get a relaxer. I really didn't understand the whole process and how to care for it through my teen years. Natural hair was all I knew. Now that I'm 22 I still have this ignorance to some degree about caring for relaxed hair. I did all I could to care for it when I stopped relying on hair dressers. My hair just does better in it's natural state. I went from childhood waist length hair to adult neck length hair. I became so sick of the breakage.

    I feel you! I was getting Dominican blowouts since I was like 7 yrs old! In my family they start getting rid of curls as early as possible, weather its roller sets with the huge rollers, blow outs, or relaxers. Tight curly hair was considered 'bad' hair. I started relaxers when I was 14. Even when I wore my hair curly, it wasnt my natural curl. It was a looser relaxed curl. Im done with that ish. This is me n this is my hair! You gotta love me or leave me alone.



    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    hippiedoll wrote: »
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    I went to the salon for a touch up, and the stylist ran the relaxer all the way down to my ends. I was already dying AND high lighting along with the relaxers, so my hair was destroyed. I was getting Dominican blowouts and flat ironed once a week. I would take a break and wear it curly for a while, but my curls were a stringy mess, so I couldnt even do that anymore. I finally asked myself, "Why am I paying these people all this money to kill my hair?!" First, I cut it into a really short bob but still straightened it while I let some healthy hair grow in. After about 4 or 5 months I cut the rest off. I kept about 4 inches and started going natural and I love it!

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    My hair had became seriously damaged from going to Dominican Salons. About a year ago the back of my hair broke off in patches. I was still getting relaxers despite that. My hair in the back finally grew back but it's still somewhat weak, damaged, and short. I think a lot of my bad hair experiences and breakage came from lack of knowledge. I went through my entire childhood and pre-teen years of my mother styling my hair and braiding up weekly. As I got into high school she took me to a Dominican Salon in Harlem to get a relaxer. I really didn't understand the whole process and how to care for it through my teen years. Natural hair was all I knew. Now that I'm 22 I still have this ignorance to some degree about caring for relaxed hair. I did all I could to care for it when I stopped relying on hair dressers. My hair just does better in it's natural state. I went from childhood waist length hair to adult neck length hair. I became so sick of the breakage.

    I feel you! I was getting Dominican blowouts since I was like 7 yrs old! In my family they start getting rid of curls as early as possible, weather its roller sets with the huge rollers, blow outs, or relaxers. Tight curly hair was considered 'bad' hair. I started relaxers when I was 14. Even when I wore my hair curly, it wasnt my natural curl. It was a looser relaxed curl. Im done with that ish. This is me n this is my hair! You gotta love me or leave me alone.



    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    I agree! I'm so over relaxers. I think a lot of people not just black women are seeing the damaging effects it does.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • onome326onome326 Posts: 45Registered Users
    I decided to go natural for so many reasons. One I was sick of the cost of relaxers and how my hair looked with one. I also didn't like that at the age of 21 I had no idea how to do my own hair. So last year August I started transitioning with weaves, still not really aware of the natural hair movement. It was actually this past August I saw YouTube videos with Naptural85 and Nickimae2003. I thought it would be great if my hair looked like that and I needed a change to match the changes I was starting to make in my own life, so I decided to try this past September. It's been great so far; I'm proud that I'm researching on everything and really learning about my hair.

    I think I would like to have my hair around my shoulder but I don't know if it's possible, I have a combo of 3c and 4a I think. I'm giving it another year to see what happens. All and all I'm glad I finally decided to do this!!!!
  • Dark-n-Curly89Dark-n-Curly89 Posts: 17Registered Users
    I am going natural because I want healthier hair. 4 years ago my hair was about mid way down my back and now after 2 years of relaxer and a lot of heat damage and terrible ends, I am transitioning. I am choosing to do a long-term transition just because I have always had long hair and I just do not want to cut it. My main goal is to just have healthy hair no matter the length and one other goal I have is to achieve waist-length hair (won't be sad if I dont achieve it, just want to see if I can get my hair to grow that long lol). My last relaxer was about 4 1/2 months ago and I have been wearing protective styles quite frequently in order to get some growth. I am looking forward to the journey and the results:toothy10:
    Current Products:
    Morrocan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
    Suave Naturals Almond and Shea Shampoo and Conditioner + EVOO :love10:
    Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie:love10:
    cintsationalife.com


    event.png



    event.png







  • Aussie_DogAussie_Dog Posts: 27Registered Users
    I've always wanted board-straight hair. When other girls were dreaming of barbies and jewelry and, later on, cell phones and Ipods, I was dreaming of flat irons (and horses, lol). Now, I've been coming to terms with curly hair. Ironing takes WAY too much time, and my hair looks fried afterwards anyway (so not worth it). I've accepted that I will never have straight hair, at least not without a crapload of back-breaking work (which I avoid like the plague). So why not have a simple, easy routine that leaves me with hair that, while I don't like too much, other people are envious of? And because other people are envious of it, I've been growing to like it. And hey, it's nice knowing I can get away with some things with my hair that other people can't get away with with theirs (like greasiness, for example).

    I've been going the last couple of years with no-sulfate shampoos anyways, and my hair blossomed (still frizzy, but it was shiny as heck and silky soft). To be honest, my favorite shampoo is actually a dog shampoo, called Earthbath (the owner of the company actually washes her hair with it too). But I've been reading so much about other people's raves about the Curly Girl method that I've been wanting to try it for a while. So I finally got the book and am experimenting. I got the courage to leave my hair "as-is" (not pulling the front half back in a hair clip, which I ALWAYS did to keep frizzy curl clumps from flopping into my face and getting caught in my glasses). Nearly everybody at work complimented it. I hate the stares and attention, but it wasn't a bad experiment, all told. I'm going to keep at it and see what happens.
    Some people are like slinkies... Not really good for anything, but
    you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
  • BellaAmoreBellaAmore Posts: 253Registered Users
    I really started to hate my permed hair. The breakage, the constant need to relax every 6-8 weeks (pssch my hair needed it every 4-6 weeks)., flat ironing daily, the high maintanence just to keep it looking perfect. I started to admire one of my coworkers natural hair, some days it was very curly, others it was neatly fluffed. I told her if I even thought I had hair remotely similiar to hers, I'de be natural. (I have been permed since preschool) She told me she can tell (my hair was braided in extensions) that my hair was similiar to hers. So after looking up natural hair textures, curl patterns, and endless youtube vids, I said I can do it. I wanted to transition for about a year, but when I took out my braids, and washed my hair, I started to look at the two different textures and couldn't stand it. My permed hair was limp and scraggly, my natural hair looked somewhat wavy/curly and I took a pair of scissors and snipped a small loc of permed hair and really looked at my natural hair. I was ready. snip snip snip and eventually it was all gone. I had a TWA and I jumped right back in the shower, washed & conditioned, looked in the mirror and it was in :love7:. A neat thick short mane of curls that belonged to me!
    :wav::wav:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I think the best part about going naturak is discovering or re-discovering a piece of yourself that had been hidden for years or several years. I realized not looking like everyone else in the world does help me fit in. I feel so secure with who I am, my hair, and my heritage. I went through my teenage years and two years into early young adulthood searching for something that wasn't uniquely mine. I always while I was still using relaxers something was missing about myself. A week or two after a fresh relaxer, I always felt I looked like every other black girl. I think hair, especially natural hair is what makes the black community special. I think when mother's give their young daughters relaxers, it robs them of a hidden beauty they never got a chance to experience. At the age of 13/14 to this day, I felt as if my natural beauty was stole from me because of the pressues of society to "look" a certain way. I am glad that life does give second chances where I can experience the hidden beauty I had only for short time. I don't knock anyone that is relaxed but I know being relaxed isn't for me anymore. Going natural and to be natural is what feels good in my soul.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I also want to thank everyone for sharing all their experiences. It's truly inspring to hear everyone's story and what led them to transitioning
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • ThriftyCurlyThriftyCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    I've been on my natural journey for 8 months, I decided to go natural at first by accident since relaxers starting costing too much and I was not about to start relaxing my hair on my own. After about a month I picked up the paper one day and there was an article about natural hair bloggers, I ran a search through google and voila! An infinite amount of information about natural hair care. I never even knew what 'natural hair' was, or that my natural texture could ever be curly. After reading stories about people journies it became more about me not wanting to torture my scalp with relaxers any longer and not frying my hair with Dominican (I'm Dominican myself) blowouts and flat irons. Most importantly I wanted to see my hair natural hair texture which I've NEVER seen, learn how to grow healthy hair without harming it and learn to love myself without all the damaging additives. I was taught that I needed to do the mentioned damaging things to have 'good' looking hair because mine was 'bad and kinky' but 'not that bad' according to my grandmother because, 'it grows a lot'. I was brainwashed into thinking that I NEEDED relaxers, although I hated them. :roll:

    I had braided extensions in my hair from the age of 2 and my first relaxer before I started 1st grade, 5 or 6.
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Posts: 398Registered Users
    I've been on my natural journey for 8 months, I decided to go natural at first by accident since relaxers starting costing too much and I was not about to start relaxing my hair on my own. After about a month I picked up the paper one day and there was an article about natural hair bloggers, I ran a search through google and voila! An infinite amount of information about natural hair care. I never even knew what 'natural hair' was, or that my natural texture could ever be curly. After reading stories about people journies it became more about me not wanting to torture my scalp with relaxers any longer and not frying my hair with Dominican (I'm Dominican myself) blowouts and flat irons. Most importantly I wanted to see my hair natural hair texture which I've NEVER seen, learn how to grow healthy hair without harming it and learn to love myself without all the damaging additives. I was taught that I needed to do the mentioned damaging things to have 'good' looking hair because mine was 'bad and kinky' but 'not that bad' according to my grandmother because, 'it grows a lot'. I was brainwashed into thinking that I NEEDED relaxers, although I hated them. :roll:

    I had braided extensions in my hair from the age of 2 and my first relaxer before I started 1st grade, 5 or 6.

    I use to get Dominican blow outs. My hair never was damaged from getting them. I always asked for my hair to be lightly blown out. My hair became damaged from having improper stylists relax my hair. I think my diet when I was younger contributed to why my hair was weak and breaking off. I'm taking my transition slowly. Now that summer is over I have been heat styling my hair. I personally don't get or have heat damage thus far. My new growth and relaxed hair is always the same texture each time I wash my hair. I think going natural is apart of learning how to properly take care and manage our hair accordingly. I think the aspect of going natural is to discover how your hair grows, it's texture, what products work/don't work, and how to correctly treat/style our hair.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
    Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
    Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
    6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    Wurlacurls and Thriftycurly, thank you so much for your stories. They made me realize that I'm not the only Dominican that has been struggling with this. I've been transitioning for 10 months now. I would religiously get Dominican blowouts every week. My hair was not damaged at all. However, my scalp was. There was nothing I could do to get rid of some "crusties" that very much resembled dandruff (in my journey I've discovered it was just a severely dry scalp and no longer have that issue).
    In my family now I'm seen sort of like an outsider since I've decided I no longer want to fry my hair every week. I no longer care. While every other person is complaining that their edges are thinning and how their hair has no shine I'm quietly chuckling...I no longer have those issues.
    The reason why I was getting the front edges of my hair relaxed was because they were these short little baby hairs that would always stick up and never grow. Guess what? The reason why they wouldn't grow was because I kept relaxing them! Now that I've stopped they are growing and I'm able to smooth them back with some gel. Using henna has helped a lot too. Plus, I've loved the discovery journey of different heatless styles on my hair. Never been happier or more comfortable with my beautiful wavy hair.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • ThatChic91ThatChic91 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I'm going natural because...well sorta...because relaxers kept breaking my hair and honestly, my hair grew so fast I had to constantly process it...then it would break some more. An endless cycle of damage. My hair is AS COARSE AS THEY GET! Can you say AFRO SHRINKAGE so I still use SOME processing. I using zelo keratin but its not permanent or damaging. On my hair it just stretches out the kinks a little bit so I can manage it. Now its just soft and fluffy. Keeping away from the harsh toxins and chemicals has definitely been helping my hair get strong. Really inspiring thread guys
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Wurlacurls and Thriftycurly, thank you so much for your stories. They made me realize that I'm not the only Dominican that has been struggling with this. I've been transitioning for 10 months now. I would religiously get Dominican blowouts every week. My hair was not damaged at all. However, my scalp was. There was nothing I could do to get rid of some "crusties" that very much resembled dandruff (in my journey I've discovered it was just a severely dry scalp and no longer have that issue).
    In my family now I'm seen sort of like an outsider since I've decided I no longer want to fry my hair every week. I no longer care. While every other person is complaining that their edges are thinning and how their hair has no shine I'm quietly chuckling...I no longer have those issues.
    The reason why I was getting the front edges of my hair relaxed was because they were these short little baby hairs that would always stick up and never grow. Guess what? The reason why they wouldn't grow was because I kept relaxing them! Now that I've stopped they are growing and I'm able to smooth them back with some gel. Using henna has helped a lot too. Plus, I've loved the discovery journey of different heatless styles on my hair. Never been happier or more comfortable with my beautiful wavy hair.

    Rusycurly, even before the relaxers, my edges were destroyed from the Dominican blowouts. You know how they take the tiny round brush and yank those edges and blow the super hot air on them to smooth them down. I used to cry when I was little and my mom and the sylists were like oh well, thats what you deal with when you have 'bad' hair. My scalp would be red for days all around the edges. Horrible.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • Prototype_KPrototype_K Posts: 59Registered Users
    I am going natural because I don't want to get up in the morning, look at my roots & think "time to flat iron again." I think having natural hair takes a lot less effort to style (depending on how you want your hair to look of course). Flat ironing has dried my hair out & I just want healthier hair. I did not realize that natural hair is beautiful till this year & that is how I came across this website. My mother has been relaxing my hair since the age of 8, I still can't figure out WHY because my natural curls are gorgeous. I stopped relaxing 5 years ago but kept flat ironing. I'm trying to get her to stop relaxing her hair as well but she refuses. -sigh-.
    I am just waiting for the right time to do my BC, can't wait for big curly hair! :mrgreen:
  • Prototype_KPrototype_K Posts: 59Registered Users
    I've been on my natural journey for 8 months, I decided to go natural at first by accident since relaxers starting costing too much and I was not about to start relaxing my hair on my own. After about a month I picked up the paper one day and there was an article about natural hair bloggers, I ran a search through google and voila! An infinite amount of information about natural hair care. I never even knew what 'natural hair' was, or that my natural texture could ever be curly. After reading stories about people journies it became more about me not wanting to torture my scalp with relaxers any longer and not frying my hair with Dominican (I'm Dominican myself) blowouts and flat irons. Most importantly I wanted to see my hair natural hair texture which I've NEVER seen, learn how to grow healthy hair without harming it and learn to love myself without all the damaging additives. I was taught that I needed to do the mentioned damaging things to have 'good' looking hair because mine was 'bad and kinky' but 'not that bad' according to my grandmother because, 'it grows a lot'. I was brainwashed into thinking that I NEEDED relaxers, although I hated them. :roll:

    I had braided extensions in my hair from the age of 2 and my first relaxer before I started 1st grade, 5 or 6.


    WOW, I am Dominican myself. I was also brainwashed into thinking I had to relax my hair as well! Is that a common thing for Dominicans? My entire family relaxes their hair, I don't know why. I am just glad I found this website!
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users
    I've been on my natural journey for 8 months, I decided to go natural at first by accident since relaxers starting costing too much and I was not about to start relaxing my hair on my own. After about a month I picked up the paper one day and there was an article about natural hair bloggers, I ran a search through google and voila! An infinite amount of information about natural hair care. I never even knew what 'natural hair' was, or that my natural texture could ever be curly. After reading stories about people journies it became more about me not wanting to torture my scalp with relaxers any longer and not frying my hair with Dominican (I'm Dominican myself) blowouts and flat irons. Most importantly I wanted to see my hair natural hair texture which I've NEVER seen, learn how to grow healthy hair without harming it and learn to love myself without all the damaging additives. I was taught that I needed to do the mentioned damaging things to have 'good' looking hair because mine was 'bad and kinky' but 'not that bad' according to my grandmother because, 'it grows a lot'. I was brainwashed into thinking that I NEEDED relaxers, although I hated them. :roll:

    I had braided extensions in my hair from the age of 2 and my first relaxer before I started 1st grade, 5 or 6.


    WOW, I am Dominican myself. I was also brainwashed into thinking I had to relax my hair as well! Is that a common thing for Dominicans? My entire family relaxes their hair, I don't know why. I am just glad I found this website!

    I think it is. I think anything tightly curly, kinky, or coarse is considered bad hair to most old school Dominicans. My mom has fine soft 2c wavy hair. They call that good hair. My cousin has fine, soft, (beautiful) 3c, 4a, they call that bad. Go figure. My hair was always called bad. Its very dry, coarse, high porosity, 3b, 3c. I would love to have my cousins soft beautiful tight 4a curls.

    Atleast this is how it works with my Dominican family.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • RusycurlyRusycurly Posts: 717Registered Users
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Wurlacurls and Thriftycurly, thank you so much for your stories. They made me realize that I'm not the only Dominican that has been struggling with this. I've been transitioning for 10 months now. I would religiously get Dominican blowouts every week. My hair was not damaged at all. However, my scalp was. There was nothing I could do to get rid of some "crusties" that very much resembled dandruff (in my journey I've discovered it was just a severely dry scalp and no longer have that issue).
    In my family now I'm seen sort of like an outsider since I've decided I no longer want to fry my hair every week. I no longer care. While every other person is complaining that their edges are thinning and how their hair has no shine I'm quietly chuckling...I no longer have those issues.
    The reason why I was getting the front edges of my hair relaxed was because they were these short little baby hairs that would always stick up and never grow. Guess what? The reason why they wouldn't grow was because I kept relaxing them! Now that I've stopped they are growing and I'm able to smooth them back with some gel. Using henna has helped a lot too. Plus, I've loved the discovery journey of different heatless styles on my hair. Never been happier or more comfortable with my beautiful wavy hair.

    Rusycurly, even before the relaxers, my edges were destroyed from the Dominican blowouts. You know how they take the tiny round brush and yank those edges and blow the super hot air on them to smooth them down. I used to cry when I was little and my mom and the sylists were like oh well, thats what you deal with when you have 'bad' hair. My scalp would be red for days all around the edges. Horrible.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    Girl! Don't remind me. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. No wonder my little hairs would break. Once I stopped blowdrying and I saw how cute those hairs were when they started curling I wanted to slap myself...why was I trying to hide them for all this long?
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Posts: 413Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    wurlacurls wrote: »
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Wurlacurls and Thriftycurly, thank you so much for your stories. They made me realize that I'm not the only Dominican that has been struggling with this. I've been transitioning for 10 months now. I would religiously get Dominican blowouts every week. My hair was not damaged at all. However, my scalp was. There was nothing I could do to get rid of some "crusties" that very much resembled dandruff (in my journey I've discovered it was just a severely dry scalp and no longer have that issue).
    In my family now I'm seen sort of like an outsider since I've decided I no longer want to fry my hair every week. I no longer care. While every other person is complaining that their edges are thinning and how their hair has no shine I'm quietly chuckling...I no longer have those issues.
    The reason why I was getting the front edges of my hair relaxed was because they were these short little baby hairs that would always stick up and never grow. Guess what? The reason why they wouldn't grow was because I kept relaxing them! Now that I've stopped they are growing and I'm able to smooth them back with some gel. Using henna has helped a lot too. Plus, I've loved the discovery journey of different heatless styles on my hair. Never been happier or more comfortable with my beautiful wavy hair.

    Rusycurly, even before the relaxers, my edges were destroyed from the Dominican blowouts. You know how they take the tiny round brush and yank those edges and blow the super hot air on them to smooth them down. I used to cry when I was little and my mom and the sylists were like oh well, thats what you deal with when you have 'bad' hair. My scalp would be red for days all around the edges. Horrible.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App

    Girl! Don't remind me. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. No wonder my little hairs would break. Once I stopped blowdrying and I saw how cute those hairs were when they started curling I wanted to slap myself...why was I trying to hide them for all this long?

    Lol. I was cringing the whole time I was posting. I still struggle with me edges and maintaining length there.

    Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • ThriftyCurlyThriftyCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    I've been on my natural journey for 8 months, I decided to go natural at first by accident since relaxers starting costing too much and I was not about to start relaxing my hair on my own. After about a month I picked up the paper one day and there was an article about natural hair bloggers, I ran a search through google and voila! An infinite amount of information about natural hair care. I never even knew what 'natural hair' was, or that my natural texture could ever be curly. After reading stories about people journies it became more about me not wanting to torture my scalp with relaxers any longer and not frying my hair with Dominican (I'm Dominican myself) blowouts and flat irons. Most importantly I wanted to see my hair natural hair texture which I've NEVER seen, learn how to grow healthy hair without harming it and learn to love myself without all the damaging additives. I was taught that I needed to do the mentioned damaging things to have 'good' looking hair because mine was 'bad and kinky' but 'not that bad' according to my grandmother because, 'it grows a lot'. I was brainwashed into thinking that I NEEDED relaxers, although I hated them. :roll:

    I had braided extensions in my hair from the age of 2 and my first relaxer before I started 1st grade, 5 or 6.


    WOW, I am Dominican myself. I was also brainwashed into thinking I had to relax my hair as well! Is that a common thing for Dominicans? My entire family relaxes their hair, I don't know why. I am just glad I found this website!

    I think its common amongst a lot of Dominicans, I know of a woman who's mother forced her to get a relaxer after she went natural, I thought mine was going to flip but she was very supportive. I have a kinkier texture than the rest of my family so they didn't know how to properly manage my hair, hence me getting relaxers from such a young age. No one else in my family ever relaxed their hair.
  • ThriftyCurlyThriftyCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    Rusycurly wrote: »
    Wurlacurls and Thriftycurly, thank you so much for your stories. They made me realize that I'm not the only Dominican that has been struggling with this. I've been transitioning for 10 months now. I would religiously get Dominican blowouts every week. My hair was not damaged at all. However, my scalp was. There was nothing I could do to get rid of some "crusties" that very much resembled dandruff (in my journey I've discovered it was just a severely dry scalp and no longer have that issue).
    In my family now I'm seen sort of like an outsider since I've decided I no longer want to fry my hair every week. I no longer care. While every other person is complaining that their edges are thinning and how their hair has no shine I'm quietly chuckling...I no longer have those issues.
    The reason why I was getting the front edges of my hair relaxed was because they were these short little baby hairs that would always stick up and never grow. Guess what? The reason why they wouldn't grow was because I kept relaxing them! Now that I've stopped they are growing and I'm able to smooth them back with some gel. Using henna has helped a lot too. Plus, I've loved the discovery journey of different heatless styles on my hair. Never been happier or more comfortable with my beautiful wavy hair.

    You're welcome :)
    I too experienced the crusties and no longer have any experiences with it since I've stopped using heat and relaxing.
«1