How do I get my hair to look like this?

princesspieprincesspie Posts: 94Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I didn't have much luck with this in the 3a section but maybe some of you wavies can help?

I'm happy with the way my hair is but would love a change now and then. I currently wash it at about 6pm, scrape my bangs behind my ears (so they're straight), go to bed at around 10 and wake up with that tousled, slightly messy look.

This is the look (her hair, not the foil bra :D) I'm trying to get...

2962_2.jpg

I've tried wet buns but they don't end up looking like this. Does anyone know of a natural (twisting, buns, tying, anything really) way to get this look?

Ta
Hair Type: Fine, 3a
Cond/LI: MOP Mixed Greens
Styler: IGA Gel
Oil: Coconut
Overall: Just likes a bit of TLC

:love5:

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fine hair and the "wet bun" thing don't really mix.
    I don't wish to be too glib, but the woman in the picture has either straight or slightly wavy hair which has probably been curled with an iron or hot rollers or some such styling tool.
    Wavy hair often does this on its own too because waves are, by definition, often big, loose curls. If you have curlier hair, it's going to be difficult to achieve reliably.

My hair will look like that if I comb it right out of the shower with or without styling products (only flatter on top:( ). But I have wavy/curly hair. I don't try to fight with my hair's natural texture. I've been wearing it wavy for over a year now and I've learned that it's better to make the most of what I have and not strive for something different.

Have you tried combing in some styling cream (or leave in, or gel or whatever) and letting it dry without scrunching? To SOTC, you'd smooth your hands over your hair like you're going to make a ponytail or pigtails rather than scrunching towards your scalp to minimize curliness/frizz.
    I might also suggest making 2 barely damp (nearly dry) buns way up top of your head (no ponytail holder and follow your natural part) if you want to re-try doing that - winding them as wide and flat as possible. But as noted, fine hair often just ends up looking wonky with things like that.

What I can see of your curls look very pretty to me. It would be a shame to try to hide them all the time!

Foil bras... impractical for daily wear, but handy for barbecues.
  • FriggaFrigga Posts: 42Registered Users
    My hair did that when it was longer. Washed it pulled it back and twisted it into a duck clip. That was first thing in the morning, by dinner time I'd take it down, it would still be damp, I'd let the rest air dry, and the next day it would look like that! A little FOTE for hold and shine, and the twist I did was like a French twist. Does that make sense?:)
    Sulfate free since may of 08!!
    MOD CG since July 09

2b-3a from base to canopy, Self proclaimed 2.5c,botticelli f-mii
    Hendigo head!
    lo poo: burt's bees, Dr. Bonner's
    co wash: Deva curl no poo or suave
    Condish: biologe conditioning balm
    Stylers: AG re:coil, FSG and proclaim
    Plopping...where have you been all my life?!
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    LOL at the foil bra!
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • princesspieprincesspie Posts: 94Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Foil bras... impractical for daily wear, but handy for barbecues.

... as long as you don't stand too close to the bbq I guess. :blob6: IAGirl you crack me up!!!
    What I can see of your curls look very pretty to me. It would be a shame to try to hide them all the time!

Thanks. :colors: I guess get a little sick of seeing the same thing in the mirror every morning! Part of the reason I went naturally curly (as opposed to permanently straightened) is for its versatility.
    Have you tried combing in some styling cream (or leave in, or gel or whatever) and letting it dry without scrunching? To SOTC, you'd smooth your hands over your hair like you're going to make a ponytail or pigtails rather than scrunching towards your scalp to minimize curliness/frizz.
    I might also suggest making 2 barely damp (nearly dry) buns way up top of your head (no ponytail holder and follow your natural part) if you want to re-try doing that - winding them as wide and flat as possible. But as noted, fine hair often just ends up looking wonky with things like that.

I hadn't thought about just smoothing my product in without scrunching/plopping and I have only tried buns on really wet hair lower on my head. It hadn't occurred to me that there was more than one way to wind them either. Looks like I'll have a few variations to try. Thanks for all the suggestions!

• princesspieprincesspie Posts: 94Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Frigga wrote: »
    Washed it pulled it back and twisted it into a duck clip, and the twist I did was like a French twist. Does that make sense?:)

Now that you've said it, it seems so obvious... a French twist!!! :sign7:

Thanks heaps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights