Oil Rinses vs Deep Conditioning

alsaxonalsaxon Registered Users Posts: 734
Hey Ladies,

I'm sure I will get different answers but just wondering do you use oil rinses, deep conditioning or both? My hair loves oil rinses (I use EVOO and Vatika Oil). I cowash or wash, apply the warm oil and then sit under the dryer like I'm doing a DC and then I cowash out. This always results in luxuriously soft tangle free hair.

When I do DC's I get mediocre to to good results (depending on the condish)...never mind blowing like oil but it's better than nothing. My original plan was to alternate each week. One week oil rinse, the other DC but now I am wondering if that is even necessary plus I wear my hair in more protective styles now so I am not necessarily able to apply a dc or oil rinse every week depending on how my hair is styled.

my other option was that when I do decide to do an oil rinse to do a dc before or after but that's too much work!!!

My last option is to pick one; I am leaning towards the oil rinse.

Thoughts? What are you doing?
Album: http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q165/alsaxon/Hair/

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Comments

• MaraloveMaralove Registered Users Posts: 69
    Hi there! I've actually been debating this same thing...
    Since I LOVE oils and experimenting with them (as well as ayurvedic methods), I think I'm going to do oil rinses and henna/clay treatments in place of DCing. I've discovered my hair thrives on water and oil, but I DEFINITELY need something on my hair in between the two, so I plan to invest in a great leave-in. Maybe I'll DC with something thick and creamy once a month or something, but I've decided to be more reliant on oils.

HTH :)
    My hair tends to love: honey, oils, water, ceramides, dye ;)
    4s/3s kinks and curls. CG, Coarse and medium strands, Low and normal porosity, High Density.
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    i prefer oil rinses
    my hair must b weird >>> i dont notice any differences after deep conditioning
    i always feel a difference with oil rinses
    however, applying oil and not rinsing leaves me with dry hair:sad5: except for castor oil
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kinkycoillykinkycoilly Registered Users Posts: 38
    Never did that cuz I feel like I need some product...but I think I will try and see. I started pre poo' ing and detangling on dry hair with oils and a lil condish on top.i like that as opossed to detangle during cowash...loss more hair with wet detangling...

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Registered Users Posts: 178
    I do both but DC more frequently because I am using up a DC and sometimes I get lazy. Also I don't oil rinse when I'm doing a WNG. I use a DC as a pre-poo, go do some cardio, and wash it out.

I will probably alternate between a DC prepoo and an olive oil and honey rinse this winter.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:
  • alsaxonalsaxon Registered Users Posts: 734
    Maralove wrote: »
    Hi there! I've actually been debating this same thing...
    Since I LOVE oils and experimenting with them (as well as ayurvedic methods), I think I'm going to do oil rinses and henna/clay treatments in place of DCing. I've discovered my hair thrives on water and oil, but I DEFINITELY need something on my hair in between the two, so I plan to invest in a great leave-in. Maybe I'll DC with something thick and creamy once a month or something, but I've decided to be more reliant on oils.

HTH :)

Thank you girll!! Yeah, sometimes I feel we get to obsessed with hair and I think both my be overkill and obsessive. I was looking for validation because I'm will thinking now that I'm doing oil rinses it's not necessary.

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." --- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
    hippychic wrote: »
    i prefer oil rinses
    my hair must b weird >>> i dont notice any differences after deep conditioning
    i always feel a difference with oil rinses
    however, applying oil and not rinsing leaves me with dry hair:sad5: except for castor oil

Hey girl,

My hair hates oil left in as well except for vatika oil but regular coconut oil sucked which is wierd. Castor oil I still need to try for that purpose but even EVOO oil my hair hates left in which is why I was surprised to see it works for me in oil rinses.

Never did that cuz I feel like I need some product...but I think I will try and see. I started pre poo' ing and detangling on dry hair with oils and a lil condish on top.i like that as opossed to detangle during cowash...loss more hair with wet detangling...

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App

I always prepoo before using shampoo. I think you will like the oil rinsing.

I do both but DC more frequently because I am using up a DC and sometimes I get lazy. Also I don't oil rinse when I'm doing a WNG. I use a DC as a pre-poo, go do some cardio, and wash it out.

I will probably alternate between a DC prepoo and an olive oil and honey rinse this winter.

I keep hearing about the wonders of honey in an oil rinse. I may try it in my olive and vatika mix and see if it makes a difference. EVOO alone was too heavy, Vatika alone did not have lasting results but the two together = HEAVEN

• Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    I use oil as a pre-po but I've never done an oil rinse. I'd be too worried about killing myself in the shower because I slipped in a pile of coconut or castor oil the entire time I'd be doing it :-(
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
    alsaxon wrote: »

I keep hearing about the wonders of honey in an oil rinse. I may try it in my olive and vatika mix and see if it makes a difference. EVOO alone was too heavy, Vatika alone did not have lasting results but the two together = HEAVEN

Right now I'm using agave but will switch to honey. For me, I found that my hair was super shiny when combining agave with olive oil. I have no reason to believe honey wont be the same if not better.

It is heavy, but I microwave the oil for 20 seconds or so to make it easier to work with. I then immediately add the honey. I'm not a measurements person, I eyeball it. My hair is on the dull side and it is NOTICEABLY shiny when I do this combination. I have one more use of my MJ super sweetback treatment, and then I'm switching to olive oil and agave or honey.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    I use oil as a pre-po but I've never done an oil rinse. I'd be too worried about killing myself in the shower because I slipped in a pile of coconut or castor oil the entire time I'd be doing it :-(

I've done oil rinses several times and I have an old slippery 90 year old curved tub. I've never had an issue but every time I do it I kick myself for forgetting to buy a rugged tub mat.
    3c/4a, low porosity
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Registered Users Posts: 413 Curl Neophyte

Why dont you oil rinse when you do a Wng? Did you have a bad experience? I want to try an oil rinse but I love my Wng.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Registered Users Posts: 643
    When I can't make up my mind, I mix oils with my conditioners.....:wink:
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
    wurlacurls wrote: »

Why dont you oil rinse when you do a Wng? Did you have a bad experience? I want to try an oil rinse but I love my Wng.

Only because I use kinky curly, which doesnt play well with oils until after the hair is dry. My hair curls better when it's not weighed down with butters and oils. I think it can be done though, especially if you arent into curl definition. I am only because I like 4 day hair and it frizzes less when it's super defined. I may try oil rinses with Jane Carter's curl defining cream tho.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    wurlacurls wrote: »

Only because I use kinky curly, which doesnt play well with oils until after the hair is dry. My hair curls better when it's not weighed down with butters and oils. I think it can be done though, especially if you arent into curl definition. I am only because I like 4 day hair and it frizzes less when it's super defined. I may try oil rinses with Jane Carter's curl defining cream tho.

Oh ok. I think I'm going to try it and see how it works for me. I actually seal with either Jojoba oil or Evoo when I use Kccc and havent had any problems. If it doesnt work, I'll try a different styling product.

I did the oil rinse with EVOO and agave nectar. I love it! My hair is so soft, bouncy, and shiny. For some reason my curls look tighter too. Even the heat damaged areas curled more and that never happens. I used CURLs creme brulee as a leave in and then KCCC.

• Nc-chickNc-chick Registered Users Posts: 186
    :love4::love7::love7::love7::love7::love7::love7:I do both oil rinse and deep conditioning. the only different is that you can add the oil to your scalp.:cat:
  • Paz&VerdePaz&Verde Registered Users Posts: 22
    There's nothing my hair loves more than deep conditioning for about 30 minutes and then rinsing the hair with plain water (vinegar rinses benefits do not outweight the cost of the smell for me) and then combing and style just using coconut oil.
    Well since you already know oil rinses are what works for you then just do them all the time, there is no need to overthink it.
    Before i also thought i needed a moisturizer besides coconut oil for a leave in but if our hair is not complaining why should we worry?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I apply EVOO to freshly washed hair, put the DC over that, then leave it on for a bit.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte
    I do both.

It seems my hair cant live without oils or deep conditioning. The oil helps detangle my hair in ways conditioners don't. Almond and Vatika oils are best for that - for me. After I leave it on for a bit and finish detangling, I coat my hair in conditioner (or shampoo and condition).
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Registered Users Posts: 1,084 Curl Neophyte
    I like DC-ing a lot better. I only like oil to seal with; other than that I want no part in it. Haha. Hot oil treatments did nothing for me, and my hair's thriving off shampoo, condition, deep condition, moisturize, so there's no use in me changing my routine.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • cocodejcocodej Registered Users Posts: 1,182
    I just tried using an oil underneath my weekly DC and I have to say I am impressed, so far. While I was applying the oil, 50/50 mix of castor oil and African Pride Olive Miracle Oil (just b/c I wanna get rid of the AP - does nothing for my scalp, but smells like skittles and peaches), my curls seemed to cling less tightly to each other. I am guessing that detangling will be beyond a breeze.
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I discovered something that my hair really likes today and this is likely how I will do my hair from now on: After cowashing/washing, apply oil to hair, apply DC over oil, apply regular condish over DC. I detangled (best slip I've ever gotten), braided, sat under conditioning cap for about an hour, rinsed braids, hair felt like silk.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Registered Users Posts: 1,084 Curl Neophyte
    cocodej wrote: »
    I just tried using an oil underneath my weekly DC and I have to say I am impressed, so far. While I was applying the oil, 50/50 mix of castor oil and African Pride Olive Miracle Oil (just b/c I wanna get rid of the AP - does nothing for my scalp, but smells like skittles and peaches), my curls seemed to cling less tightly to each other. I am guessing that detangling will be beyond a breeze.

I died laughing there. No idea why.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Registered Users Posts: 463
    I've been having issues with my ends, and had read that oil rinses helped a lot of people reduce or eliminate their ssk's and split ends, so I decided to try it when I washed yesterday. So far, I like it. I used olive and sweet almond oils, and honey (my porous hair loves oils, so I sometimes add olive oil and honey to my DC's anyway). So far so good. My hair was really soft and easy to detangle, and my braidout today is awesome.

Only issue was getting the oil out. I cowashed several times like the OP said, but even as I was applying my leave in and braiding, I was squeezing out honey and oil. The whole of yesterday while it dried I felt like I had oil dripping down my face and neck. I was also leaving Soul Glo patches everywhere- Lol! Anyone else have this issue? I'll have to see how my hair feels over the next few days before I decide whether to ditch DCing or alternate.
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • Ogo'mOgo'm Registered Users Posts: 242
    NoodleNaps wrote: »
    I've been having issues with my ends, and had read that oil rinses helped a lot of people reduce or eliminate their ssk's and split ends, so I decided to try it when I washed yesterday. So far, I like it. I used olive and sweet almond oils, and honey (my porous hair loves oils, so I sometimes add olive oil and honey to my DC's anyway). So far so good. My hair was really soft and easy to detangle, and my braidout today is awesome.

Only issue was getting the oil out. I cowashed several times like the OP said, but even as I was applying my leave in and braiding, I was squeezing out honey and oil. The whole of yesterday while it dried I felt like I had oil dripping down my face and neck. I was also leaving Soul Glo patches everywhere- Lol! Anyone else have this issue? I'll have to see how my hair feels over the next few days before I decide whether to ditch DCing or alternate.

I had this issue the first few times I tried it so I gave it up. I revisited it again because it is getting cold. I now mix in a little bit of water and put it on over my conditioner before rinsing both out. I seem to get the same softness without the greasiness. It works better for me this way.
    Ogo'm wrote: »

I had this issue the first few times I tried it so I gave it up. I revisited it again because it is getting cold. I now mix in a little bit of water and put it on over my conditioner before rinsing both out. I seem to get the same softness without the greasiness. It works better for me this way.

Ah, thanks for this tip! I'll try it next time!!

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far

Definitely keep trying you just have to tweek the ratios. I've never used Almond oil so I'm not sure of it's heaviness compared to EVOO. Anyway, when I first started using EVOO my hair was slightly greasy when it dried (not to the extent you describe though). To alleviate that I cut my olive oil with coconut oil (Vatika to be exact). Now that greasiness is no longer. I think the olive oil alone was too heavy while the coconut alone was not moisturizing enough. So now I use 3 parts olive to 1 part coconut and it's great. Also make sure to cowash at least twice and rinse throughly with warm water. I hope this helps.

Also how much oil are you using? You definitely don;t want to overdo it.

[QUOTE=alsaxon;1792817

Definitely keep trying you just have to tweek the ratios. I've never used Almond oil so I'm not sure of it's heaviness compared to EVOO. Anyway, when I first started using EVOO my hair was slightly greasy when it dried (not to the extent you describe though). To alleviate that I cut my olive oil with coconut oil (Vatika to be exact). Now that greasiness is no longer. I think the olive oil alone was too heavy while the coconut alone was not moisturizing enough. So now I use 3 parts olive to 1 part coconut and it's great. Also make sure to cowash at least twice and rinse throughly with warm water. I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
    alsaxon wrote: »

Also how much oil are you using? You definitely don;t want to overdo it.

The almond oil was relatively light, but I guess not as light as coconut. I might try that next time. Also I must have cowashed about a million times. I think I definitely did just use too much oil. I'll use less next time, and maybe more honey. My hair still feels really nice so I think as long as I can get my proportions right, this method might be a keeper.Thanks for your tips!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file