Nothing really works in my hair…help? (with pics)

vanillatoffeevanillatoffee Registered Users Posts: 105
I'm frustrated, you hear me? I need help, seriously. I feel like a hair stranger…like there's nothing out there for my hair as far as styling goes. I just want my hair to still be fluffy and lightweight w/o so much darn frizz and I don't want it to be filled with chemicals..too much to ask? lol

Natural since: October 2010
My hair (when healthy) is: protein sensitive, medium/coarse, wiry, strong, fluffy, lightweight
My hair hates: shea butter & coconut oil (tried Sheamoisture stuff, Cantu Shea, Hello Hydration, unrefined coconut oil -- it all makes my hair feel rough, frizzy, gross), GD TTTT Condish, creams or butters
My hair likes/okay with: Suave Mango Mandarin, GF Pure Clean for co-washes & olive oil keeps it moisturized...
I don't know about: aloe vera (but I don't think it'll like it), avocado or jojoba oils

Notes: I don't do twistouts or braidouts cuz, well…I'm not the *greatest* planner and I noticed my first SSK after doing a twistout, but that coulda been incidental)

My naked WNG hair in pics:
wet:
1317259925-1.jpg

co-washed w/ Suave MM, now drying with just olive oil :
1317259924-1.jpg

later that day…
Photoon2011-09-26at1443-1.jpg

hair on different day w/ just olive oil (my hair wasn't as tightly pulled back like usual)
1317259930-1.jpg

random naked hair (can't put it in a ponytail yet unless i'm holding it lol smh)
Photoon2011-09-14at2123-1.jpg

My siggy is my hair w/ some product that makes my hair feel like..eww. I like my natural hair w/o products but I get so self-conscious about the frizz. I know frizz goes with the territory but sometimes it gets to me.

Any advice on products to use??? plz help I've wasted so much money smh…Any ideas?

[Oh, one more thing: I started using a cotton skirt to dry my hair off with (the same way ppl use the cotton t-shirts) and the first day it worked beautifully but by today, my hair was SO frizzy when I took it off... it freaked me out, it usually isn't like that til it dries completely.]
:icescream: last relaxer: june 2010. bc: october 2010. :happy10:
properties: mix of 3 & 4, high density!!, medium-coarse, protein sensitive, low-normal porosity, cottony, daughter S
hair likes: garnier pure clean conditioner, v05, water & olive oil...that's literally it. so far...
four fat braids every night; moisturize or spray w/ water, seal w/ EVOO every other night.

Comments

• TimeMacchineTimeMacchine Registered Users Posts: 37
    Maybe it's me but your hair looks nice!
    Try incorporating oil rinses and doing the final wash in cold water.
    This has eliminated frizz and made my coils "pop"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The LazyNatural
    :glasses7:
  • vanillatoffeevanillatoffee Registered Users Posts: 105
    thank you!

i've never tried oil rinses but i will...
    and i forget to rinse with cold water at the end but i'll remember tomorrow lol

thx for your suggestions, they're rly appreciated
    properties: mix of 3 & 4, high density!!, medium-coarse, protein sensitive, low-normal porosity, cottony, daughter S
    hair likes: garnier pure clean conditioner, v05, water & olive oil...that's literally it. so far...
    four fat braids every night; moisturize or spray w/ water, seal w/ EVOO every other night.

• PennyfrmHeavenPennyfrmHeaven Registered Users Posts: 22
    I just want to say that I think your hair looks great :thumbleft: lol

But have you tried a good clarifying shampoo? You might just have hair that's very sensitive to product (if that makes sense) and needs to be clarified more often than others. I know some people don't use them at all and others clarify maybe once a month, but (back when I had hair) I couldn't go two weeks without it.

Just my two cents
    4a fade with the deep waves :)

My personal VLOG

#teamfade
  • ebonyrose31626ebonyrose31626 Registered Users Posts: 253
    wow, your hair hates a lot of stuff, huh?lol

Have you tried glycerin based products, like that s-curl no drip?
    Or maybe some gels.. you could make some flax seed gel and see how that works.

Good Luck
    4c wiry thick nappy low porosity hair
    Poo: SM black soap
    Rise out/Detangler:
    DC/: Avocado+ oil + Honey
    Spritz: Oyin J&B :love10:
    Moisturizer: OH Dew
    Sealant:BSP/Bask tapioca cream
  • KrisyCurlKrisyCurl Registered Users Posts: 39
    Honey I don't know what to tell you, but I do want to say I LOVE your curls! Jealous:)
  • vanillatoffeevanillatoffee Registered Users Posts: 105
    I just want to say that I think your hair looks great :thumbleft: lol

But have you tried a good clarifying shampoo? You might just have hair that's very sensitive to product (if that makes sense) and needs to be clarified more often than others. I know some people don't use them at all and others clarify maybe once a month, but (back when I had hair) I couldn't go two weeks without it.

Just my two cents
    thanks!

I've never thought about clarifying because my hair often feels squeaky clean/kinda stripped when I'm just rinsing out conditioner and that makes me nervous. And my hair feels really clean even if I only use a lil bit of shampoo. Shampoo also burns my eyes :(, even the Shikakai one I have, but I'll look into some hypoallergenic one. So idk, but it's an idea, I mean my curls do look better and I feel better when working on a clean head of hair/scalp.
    wow, your hair hates a lot of stuff, huh?lol

Have you tried glycerin based products, like that s-curl no drip?
    Or maybe some gels.. you could make some flax seed gel and see how that works.

Good Luck
    Yes, yes it does!

You know, when I first went natural my hair hated products where glycerin was high up on the list of ingredients … this is was also during the winter months, so it might work seasonally for me. Or, hmm, it just might work in general, now that I consider the fact that back then my hair didn't mind protein at all and now it does. I'll definitely re-experiment with glycerin. And I've looked into flaxseed gel, will try it soon.

Thank ya :)
    KrisyCurl wrote: »
    Honey I don't know what to tell you, but I do want to say I LOVE your curls! Jealous:)
    Thanks hun :)

• mzmillionmzmillion Registered Users Posts: 874
    You hair sounds like it might like dry styling or semi-dry styling. What I've found that works is if you wait till your hair is about 80% dry, try to use a butter(maybe mango for you) and then use EcoStyler gel on it to do a dry twistout, I haven't really gone wrong with this one yet. I love your curls though, very pretty. Also a lot of stuff that I thought my hair didn't like before, when I tried to use it in a different way or for something else, it worked much better. Try using the HE condish to try a braidout on dry hair and see if that helps. Also have you tried to twist your hair while in shower with just conditioner in it. That's my new thing and I get perfect defined dry hair with very little frizz.

But like someone told me here on this site, you have to accept that you might just have frizzy hair and as soon as you learn to accept it as part of the final look, the faster you'll learn to love it. I love my frizz now... I barely even notice it.
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    For me air drying with just an oil in my hair creates frizz, but when I mix the oil and condish I don't get frizz. Have you tried that? You don't have to use a ton of condish/oil mix.. the less product you use the fluffier your hair will be. So maybe a quarter or half dollar size dollop of condish with a bit of oil might do the trick for you.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file