Winter/Cold Weather Styles

Hi everyone! I live and work in the DC area and winters can be brutal. I'm typically a low-fuss, wash-and-go kind of gal. My routine is usually just wet it in the morning, apply copious amounts of a leave-in, lotion and/or oil and then air dry throughout the day. The problem is always when it gets cold out (and winter is quickly approaching) - my hair literally freezes! As soon as the frigid air hits the water in my hair, it becomes a stiff mess. And depending on the product I used that morning, the cold air makes it flaky. I learned this the hard way one morning after using coconut oil in my hair - the oil clumped up and i had white specks everywhere. Had to go back home and wash it all out.

My question is, for those who usually wash-and-go, what styles do you incorporate in the winter (if you live in a cold climate)? My hair seems to NEED water every day. I don't know what to do with it when it's not wet. It's super dry in the morning and water is the only thing that makes it behave. I'm interested in fairly conservative styles, as I work in corporate and well...you know how that can be. Thanks for any and all advice!

I have a combo of 3c/4a/4b hair - most of it is about 4a.

Thanks again.

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to chuckle at DC winters being brutal since they're mild as a whole.

I either switch to doing my hair at night, or I switch from my normal air drying to using heat to dry. I only do this when temps are around zero though. I don't worry if it's just in the 20s or 30s.

I have also used the car heater to dry my hair on the way in to work.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also, is your hair long enough for buns and twists? Your hair can go longer without wetting that way.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file