BEYOND Frustrated (allergies)

avaanstaravaanstar Registered Users Posts: 171 Curl Neophyte
I am so frustrated.. for two years I am have been trying to figure out what I am allergic to in conditioners. My symptoms are a stuffy nose and swollen/itchy eyes. I have tried fragrance free, hypoallergenic, and 100% natural hair products and nothing seems to work.

When I use fragrance free conditioners, my allergies are better but I still get itchy. Being itchy all the time sucks, ha. My latest fragrance free conditioner called "Desert Essence Organics Fragrance Free Conditioner" is the lastest one I am using.

The ingredients are:
Water (aqua), camellia sinensis leaf extract (green tea)*, macrocystis pyrifera extract (sea kelp)*, urtica dioica (nettle) leaf extract, olea europaea (olive) leaf extract, cetearyl alcohol (coconut derived), glyceryl stearate SE (corn derived), guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride (plant derived), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter*, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil*, lonicera japonica (honeysuckle) flower extract, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower extract, tocopherol (vitamin E), glycerin, potassium sorbate (fruit derived), citric acid.
*Certified Organic

Is anyone else facing these allergy problems with hair products?!! Any other hypoallergic and fragrance free conditioner suggestions for me?

Thank you

Comments

• hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    damn @ 2 years
    have you seen a doctor rather than trying to self-diagnose?
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • greenjumpergreenjumper Registered Users Posts: 891
    I second the doctor opinion. I was tested for allergies and most test cover around 50 different allergens including dust, mold, trees, flowers, and foods. Some test are modified to fit what allergens are commonly found in your area.

One caution though, I have been told by many allergist and even experience it myself, that all allergy test are reliable where food is concerned because the best way to tell if you are allergic to food is to eat it while most allergy test are done on the skin.

For example, every allergy test I have taken says that I'm deathly allergic to shrimp and I eat it all the time.

Since many hair products are made from foods (avocados, fruit extracts, honey etc) and sometimes flower extracts, it may be hard for the allergist to tell.

I would go to the doctor for a professional opinion. If that doesn't get good results I would then eliminate and then slowly re-introduce things back into your hair regimen and diet to pinpoint what's going on. Or you could just start making your own conditioners.

Goodluck!
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Registered Users Posts: 791 Curl Neophyte
    If it's been two years and hasn't let up regardless of what products you've been using it's time to see a doctor. If you can't get to one, I'd compare the ingredients in ALL of the products you had the worst reactions to. It sounds tedious, but it's the only way to find out if it's a specific family, chemical or thing. And then you might be able to broaden your search out more.

Do you have food allergies? Like greenjumper mentioned, if you're allergic to something you eat you might be allergic if it touches your skin/you smell it. And since a lot of hair products do use ingredients you can eat...
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    How do you know it's your hair products causing the problem, and not just regular seasonal allergies?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    Avaanstar, you have posted several times about your allergy issues. I think shooting in the dark is time-consuming and potentially hazardous to your health.

Please. Go to a allergist if you haven't already and see if they can isolate what it is you're reacting to.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    Avaanstar, you have posted several times about your allergy issues. I think shooting in the dark is time-consuming and potentially hazardous to your health.

Please. Go to a allergist if you haven't already and see if they can isolate what it is your reacting to.

Yes...to all this.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    Phoenix wrote: »
    How do you know it's your hair products causing the problem, and not just regular seasonal allergies?

Yea. When you mean itchy, your hair itches?
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    Btw stuffy nose from conditioner sounds weird.

I'm allergy queen, I'm severely allergic to dust, so anywhere with old carpet makes my nose stuffy and head stuffy...so when I go home I always get sick..my mom swore she was ripping out the carpet but never did.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file