How can I remove silicone product w/o sulfate poo?

debbahdebbah Posts: 48Registered Users
Hello - I'm pretty new to CG, and before I went FULLY CG, I was using Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer Lotion, which I NOW discover has both Phenyl Trimethicone (which I am assuming is a silicone but haven't seen it listed as one) and a polyquat: Polyquaternium 11. Bummer too because that product really makes my curls come alive.

Anyway, I had used this in my hair before I went for my first curly hair cut at Devachan in New York two weeks ago. At Devachan they did a OC cleanse/OC condition/OC leave in, and the stylist recommended that I do the same for at least 6 weeks before going to a low-poo/no-poo (although I am loving just the co-wash so may just keep doing that).

My problem is, now that I'm on this board I'm learning about silicones, and I'm now freaking that I've been co-washing for two weeks and never did a last sulfate shampoo to get out the Be Curly product. I am not using any silicone products any more.

My hair doesn't seem any worse for wear, but I am concerned that Be Curly is basically going to be in my hair from now until forever more since I didn't do a sulfate wash. Should I do a sulfate wash just to be safe? I hate to kill all the beautiful moisture I'm just starting to build up in my curls.

Help please from you more experienced curlies! Would a baking soda/ACV get it out?
CG since September 2011

Type: 2c/3a
Texture: medium-ish
Porosity: normal to low
Density: THICK!

Co-wash: OC
Cond/Leave-in: OC
Style: MOP Curl Defining Cream, Angel, Garnier Pure Clean Gel
SOTC: MOP Glisten pomade, Aveda Humectant Pomade

Looking for: good curl definition, clumping and no frizz

http://momwhoworks.wordpress.com

Comments

• maycon55maycon55 Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Exactly. Do the baking soda and leave in for 2 min or so and rinse with Acv.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
    2c/3a

Texture: Medium-Fine
    Porosity: Normal
    Elasticity: Normal

Poo: Kinky-Curly Come Clean
    Co-Wash:Suave Naturals Waterfall
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, TreSemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, Frizz -Free Volumizing Foam

CG since July 2011 :shock:
  • DevushkaDevushka Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    I quit sulfate shampoos cold turkey when I started CG and never even did a "final shampoo" with one. Instead I did a baking sode co-wash (put baking soda in with my conditioner), massage it in well on scalp and down the length of my hair, and followed up with an apple cider vinegar rinse and then a deep conditioner. I did that twice about a week apart just to be sure I got any remaining cones out of my hair, and I feel pretty confident that that did the trick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
    Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
    Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
    Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
    DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
    Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
    Goal: APL Hair
  • MidisurfMidisurf Posts: 88Registered Users
    They will actually crack and scrape off eventually from friction and heat. Takes a couple of weeks.
    - Nate

Co-wash - Boots / Tresemme Naturals
    Condition - Bodyshop Rainforest / Tresemme Naturals
    Style - Holland and Barrett Aloe Vera gel / Garnier Fructis Camouflage gel
  • debbahdebbah Posts: 48Registered Users
    Thank you everyone for your help! I'm going to try a baking soda/ACV this weekend, just to make sure, but it's also good to know it will eventually disappear.

Now I just need to find a good replacement for my Aveda Be Curly that doesn't have silicones!
    CG since September 2011

Type: 2c/3a
    Texture: medium-ish
    Porosity: normal to low
    Density: THICK!

Co-wash: OC
    Cond/Leave-in: OC
    Style: MOP Curl Defining Cream, Angel, Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    SOTC: MOP Glisten pomade, Aveda Humectant Pomade

Looking for: good curl definition, clumping and no frizz

http://momwhoworks.wordpress.com
  • Susieqt83Susieqt83 Posts: 1Registered Users
    So...I have a question then. I started using the CG no-poo method about 2 months ago, and just now realized that I was supposed to do a sulfate wash first (don't ask me how I missed that part). Since it's been two months, should I be okay by now, or should I try the baking soda? I hate to mess up two months worth of stuff in my hair, but I also hate the thought of silicones chilling out in my hair forever! Thoughts?
  • maycon55maycon55 Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Even with the CG method its good to do a bs / acv once in a while to remove product build up, especially if you use heavy oils. Doing one now won't hurt but if your hair if fine and you don't think you need it, then don't do it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App
    2c/3a

Texture: Medium-Fine
    Porosity: Normal
    Elasticity: Normal

Poo: Kinky-Curly Come Clean
    Co-Wash:Suave Naturals Waterfall
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, TreSemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, Frizz -Free Volumizing Foam

CG since July 2011 :shock:

Leave a Comment