My edges need help!

DewMakerDewMaker Registered Users Posts: 156
So months of wearing a wigcap under my weave meant that my edges have gone! They are not super short, but short enough that you can see the breakage, and even though the rest of my hair is growing nicely, I don't think my edges are growing as well as they should considering it's been 3 months :(

Does anyone have any tips for me/know why this might be? I've bought some castor oil to apply there although it's not the jamaican castor oil. I also tie my hair back a lot, might that be stopping my edges from growing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• LadyV69LadyV69 Registered Users Posts: 3,397
    I have thin edges too, from years of relaxers, tight weaves and tight braids. By the time I went fully natural two years, they were obliterated. Although they have grown in some, even after being natural for two years, they are still thinner than they should be. The alopecia in certain spots may have scarred the hair follicles, so I have to be prepared for the possibility that my edges may never grow back in fully.

That may or may not happen in your case, though. The castor oil is a good start. What you can also do is massage your edges for a few minutes to stimulate the scalp to encourage the hair to grow there. Also, try to avoid styles that pull your hair back as they will stress your edges. That means avoiding buns and puffs as much as possible.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • apatt4975apatt4975 Registered Users Posts: 142
    Massage your scalp including your edges nightly with a light oil. Usually I do this for 10 to 12 minutes but you can start off with 5 minutes. Then work your way up. My edges are thin too from micros and sew ins. I suggest using styles that doesn't put any stress or tension on your weak spots. With all of this advice your edges may not still completely grow in full but something is better than nothing. And let's try to salvage what we have. Peace

Sent from my DROID X2 using CurlTalk App
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Registered Users Posts: 516
    I am using a cocktail mixture of Diety America Hair Tonic, Minoxidil and castor oil. I mix equal parts in a spray bottle and spray my edges as well as my crown, then massage for 5-10 minutes. It seems to be working. I also take my vitamins too. I'll post pics as soon as possbile.
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Registered Users Posts: 3,397
    ^Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention vitamins-Biotin in particular. I haven't tried it yet, but it can't hurt, right?
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • DewMakerDewMaker Registered Users Posts: 156
    thanks everyone for your replies!:D i'll try your suggestions and hopefulyl i'll see an improvement.

LadyV69 i hope they grow back! they were fine until my hairdresser started putting wig caps on me last year. also i'm only 21 so i'm hoping i haven't done enough years worth of damage to have caused my hair to stop growing completley. so buns are definitely a no go? i had wanted to wear buns during winter as a protective style cause it gets real cold round here..

apatt4975 my edges aren't really thin...they're just broken. i've started doing the massages now so hopefully that will help :)

Naturalfinally pictures would be great! can't wait to get my castor oil.
  • demsdatademsdata Registered Users Posts: 120 Curl Neophyte
    i try to keep things au'naturale most of the time, but I've found that megatek has helped my edges to fill in. My edges have always been thin & weak from wearing those heavy po'kid glasses when I was a child and then getting relaxers. I didn't want to use the megatek on my whole head because I'm not trying to risk any thickening. My edges are definitely filling in and growing longer and stronger. It's a pretty good dose of protein though, a little mixed with a moisturizing leave-in along my edges seems to be going a long way.

You may want to give it a try.
    [FONT=&quot]Hair type: the back and sides have small spiraly curls, the top and front just wave like, "hi! how ya doin?"

Condish: ElucenceMBC, HEHH, my kitchen mixes

Moisturizer: mixed spritz of: H20, aloe vera juice, honey, EVCO, ElucenceMBC

Curl Definer: H20 & a shake, my moisturizer mix.... or aloe vera/flax seed/ic fantsia gel if I'm not being lazy.

Styles: wash-n-go, twists just curl up like my wash-n-go

KinkyKurlyKustard is the DEBIL! The DEBIL![/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file