The CEH busts 29 companies for mislabeling products as organic.

LuckyGirlLuckyGirl Registered Users Posts: 105
Here's the link:
Mislabeled "Organic" Personal Care Products - Center for Environmental Health

Center for Environmental Health's list of the 29 companies and the mislabled products. Dang, Shea Moisture!!

Personally, when I first went natural, I wanted to use only organic products. I'm not as strict as I used to be but I still find this list to be kind of disappointing. :sad1:
"Beauty is for everyone. All it takes is the decision to have it for yourself." - Shae Capri

"If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." - Gabor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Registered Users Posts: 1,084 Curl Neophyte
    GAH! My favorite Shea Moisture product (other than the curl and hold style milk)! I knew the Organic Root Stimulator wasn't really organic, but it was nice to pretend sometimes. Oh, well. Good for them for cracking down on this sort of thing.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • KeepitNaturalKeepitNatural Registered Users Posts: 95
    Wow! I'm kind of surprised to see Shea Moisture on the list. Gosh, I really hate being lied to. It makes me really distrust the line. I mean, how do I know if what's listed is really in the product??
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    So these are ones that say organic that don't meet the fed definition of organic, correct?

I'm not that concerned with this, because I just assumed everything I use product wise is not organic. I have to say I LOLd at Kinky Curly on there....had no idea they said they were organic. Or I never noticed!

I'm still buying KC pomade...

But yeah, companies need to stop making stupid claims about their products.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    I fear that this list may make people think that all of these companies are putting dangerous/harmful ingredients into their products, while only some may actually use ingredients they'd find objectionable. The Nature's Baby body wash on that list, for example, has a rating of 2 out of 10 (meaning it's quite safe by their - often called alarmist - estimation), with the most "dangerous" ingredient in it being potassium sorbate, which I wouldn't be concerned about at all. That said, labeling something organic just to hitch onto the bandwagon is wrong and annoying, and I'm glad they're at least trying to crack down on that. I'd love to see products called out for being called "natural" as well. That word doesn't mean a dang thing on a product label!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    True.

Also, it's worth noting this is only a lawsuit, not a judgment.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • KeepitNaturalKeepitNatural Registered Users Posts: 95
    curlyarca wrote: »
    So these are ones that say organic that don't meet the fed definition of organic, correct?

I'm not that concerned with this, because I just assumed everything I use product wise is not organic. I have to say I LOLd at Kinky Curly on there....had no idea they said they were organic. Or I never noticed!

To me its about being deceitful. I'm not an organic nazi but if I'm buying something that's labeled organic, that's what I expect. It's the principle!!!!
  • LuckyGirlLuckyGirl Registered Users Posts: 105
    curlyarca wrote: »

To me its about being deceitful. I'm not an organic nazi but if I'm buying something that's labeled organic, that's what I expect. It's the principle!!!!

+1

Here's the part I'm not fully understanding. The statement at the very top of the list says:

"The full list of companies and their mislabeled products that CEH identified in the lawsuit are listed below (the products listed are just examples; CEH has identified multiple mislabeled products from the companies)"
    "Beauty is for everyone. All it takes is the decision to have it for yourself." - Shae Capri

"If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." - Gabor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    This doesn't really bother me enough to stop buying their products. "Organic" is not a selling point to me as much as quality ingredients and unharmful chemicals. I prefer natural ingredients over synthetic ones.

I do agree that some of these companies need to clean up their labeling act. I wonder if companies are misusing the word "organic" for "natural" instead.

The USDA is quite clear on it: National Organic Program
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    This doesn't really bother me enough to stop buying their products. "Organic" is not a selling point to me as much as quality ingredients and unharmful chemicals. I prefer natural ingredients over synthetic ones.

I do agree that some of these companies need to clean up their labeling act. I wonder if companies are misusing the word "organic" for "natural" instead.

The USDA is quite clear on it: National Organic Program

Probably. A lot of folks (including those who make hair products) don't know that "natural" and "organic" are two different animals.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    But I also think rather than being confused about "natural" vs. "organic" I think people are thinking to jump on the organic band wagon and get their stuff sold quick--just a marketing ploy and the USDA was not going after them till now.

People should also learn that unless it has the organic stamp on it (certified organic), saying "organic" without a percentage next to it (e.g., 50% organic) means nothing. These companies (if they are intentionally deceiving) are relying on the fact that the public doesn't know this.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    coilynapp wrote: »
    But I also think rather than being confused about "natural" vs. "organic" I think people are thinking to jump on the organic band wagon and get their stuff sold quick--just a marketing ploy and the USDA was not going after them till now.

People should also learn that unless it has the organic stamp on it (certified organic), saying "organic" without a percentage next to it (e.g., 50% organic) means nothing. These companies (if they are intentionally deceiving) are relying on the fact that the public doesn't know this.

This. I thought that in order to truly be organic it needed to be certified, so when I see organic in marketing language, I don't really think anything of it. They're just using buzz words.

Regarding Shea Moisture, I know they have starred certified organic ingredients, but a lot of their labels also say organic, so I wonder if the violation is for ingredients they claim are certified organic or the label.
    well the reason that they are being cited is because they have not certified their product and therefore cannot claim that it organic. You have to go through a certification process, regardless of whether you use all organic oils or whatever.
    (I don't even remember the packaging of SheaM. Do they have the stamp?)

in order to claim organic, 70% of the ingredients in the product (excluding water) have to be certified organic. SheaM is definitely using some tuff in there that is not organic. 70% excluding water is damn near the whole product.
    1: Products making an "Organic" product claim
    Examples: "Organic Jojoba Shampoo," "Organic Sea Mineral Body Wash"
    Certification requirement: Must be certified to the USDA's National Organic Program standard for organic (>95%) products.
    Documentation required: Suppliers must present an organic certificate, issued by a USDA-accredited certifier and showing certification to the NOP standard. The certificate must name the specific products being evaluated.
    2: Products making a "Made with Organic ________" claim
    Examples: "Made with organic oils," "Made with organic essential oils and botanical ingredients."
    Certification requirement: Must be certified to the USDA's National Organic Program standard for Made With Organic (>70%) products.
    Documentation required: Suppliers must present an organic certificate, issued by a USDA-accredited certifier and showing certification to the NOP standard. The certificate must name the specific products being evaluated.
    3: Products making a "Contains Organic _______" claim
    Examples: "Contains organic oils," "Contains organic aloe and rosemary."
    Certification requirement: Must be certified to the NSF/ANSI 305 Organic Personal Care Standard.
    Documentation required: Suppliers must present certification documentation demonstrating current compliance with the NSF/ANSI 305 standard.
    4: Products listing an organic ingredient in the "Ingredients:" listing
    Example: "Ingredients: WATER, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE (ORGANIC ALOE VERA)...,"
    Certification requirement: Organic ingredient must be certified to the USDA NOP standard.
    Documentation required: Suppliers must present an organic certificate, issued by a USDA-accredited certifier and showing certification to the NOP standard. The certificate(s) must name the specific ingredient(s) being evaluated.
  • happyfacehappyface Registered Users Posts: 845
    CN, you really do know a lot about products and stuff. If you ever decide to start selling products, you've got a customer right here. :)
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
    Right that's what I'm saying - For instance, Shea Moisture has both "Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie" on the label, then in addition to that on the ingredients list, there are certain starred individual ingredients that are labeled *certified organic ingredient, with a stamp. It's only three ingredients as well - so I'm wondering if it's the label for the entire product or the ingredients themselves, or both.
    CN, you really do know a lot about products and stuff. If you ever decide to start selling products, you've got a customer right here. :)

:flower:
  • Kat718Kat718 Registered Users Posts: 73
    I'm not surprised. The food industry does the same thing. I think the companies are at fault as well as consumers.The food industry depends on the consumer's ignorance. For example Honey Nut Cheerios slogan is "Bee happy, Bee healthy"

Ingredients:Whole Grain Oats, Sugar, Oat Bran, Modified Corn Starch, Honey, Brown Sugar Syrup, Salt, Ground Almonds, Calcium Carbonate, Tripotassium Phosphate, Wheat Flour, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols)Added to Preserve Freshness. Vitamins and Minerals: Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients)Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate)a B Vitamin (Niacinamide)Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate)Vitamin A (Palmitate)a B Vitamin (Folic Acid)Vitamin B12, Vitamin D.
    Three types of sugars and salt is healthy? lol

Most people don't bother read the labels. A lot of health problems could be alleviated if people actually READ the labels.
  • oooohsuperoooohsuper Registered Users Posts: 16
    Kat718 wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. The food industry does the same thing. I think the companies are at fault as well as consumers.The food industry depends on the consumer's ignorance. For example Honey Nut Cheerios slogan is "Bee happy, Bee healthy"

Ingredients:Whole Grain Oats, Sugar, Oat Bran, Modified Corn Starch, Honey, Brown Sugar Syrup, Salt, Ground Almonds, Calcium Carbonate, Tripotassium Phosphate, Wheat Flour, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols)Added to Preserve Freshness. Vitamins and Minerals: Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients)Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate)a B Vitamin (Niacinamide)Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate)Vitamin A (Palmitate)a B Vitamin (Folic Acid)Vitamin B12, Vitamin D.
    Three types of sugars and salt is healthy? lol

Most people don't bother read the labels. A lot of health problems could be alleviated if people actually READ the labels.

So true. Reminds me of those Weight Watchers tv dinners that are supposed to be healthy, but if you look at the amount of sodium it's half of what you're suppose to take in in a day. So you're taking in a buttload of sodium in one meal. There definitely needs to be more awareness with ingredient labels.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    3a/b; coarse texture; low porosity; low elasticity; medium density; just above the shoulders
    pre-poo: coconut oil + evoo
    cleanser: alberto vo5 herbal escapes clarifying shampoo (1-2x/week), palmer's coconut oil formula conditioning shampoo
    ro: l'oreal paris advanced haircare power moisture hydrating conditioner
    li/curl enhancer: sm conditioning milk, sm curl enhancing smoothie
    styler: ecostyler olive oil gel, brhg
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    The lawsuit (not adjudicated) is perhaps one product of the line, maybe two, that the company hasn't provided proof to the Center for Environmental Health. I don't think it is fair to knock the companies as a whole for something that isn't even proven yet. Even if it is proven, it is one product, not the whole line.

My apologies. didn't see the part about "multiple mislabeled products". Sure would like to know all of the products they claim are mislabeled.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    juanab wrote: »
    The lawsuit (not adjudicated) is perhaps one product of the line, maybe two, that the company hasn't provided proof to the Center for Environmental Health. I don't think it is fair to knock the companies as a whole for something that isn't even proven yet. Even if it is proven, it is one product, not the whole line.

Where did you read that? This is what the site says:
    The full list of companies and their mislabeled products that CEH identified in the lawsuit are listed below (the products listed are just examples; CEH has identified multiple mislabeled products from the companies):

I figured that they are dealing with way more products than what is listed, so I'm curious if you have further intel. But I agree, I don't think people should be totally knocking companies, as the consumer is at fault as well for assuming using the marketing language "organic" means a product truly is.
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte
    If the products are actually organic, but just haven't been certified yet, then I don't see the problem. Also, it may just be an issue with the way products are named, e.g. for Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo - maybe they are saying the shea butter they use is organic, not the whole shampoo. Tbh, that's how I read the product label, as a shampoo using organic shea butter. I mean, we all knew the 'raw' in the label was in reference to the shea butter alone, so why not the 'organic' too? Why the assumption that the organic meant the whole product?
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    +1! coilynapp rocks!

I'll be your guinea pig if you ever need testers :) Just sayin
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • lashon20lashon20 Registered Users Posts: 1,150
    That's why I don't buy into the whole natural or organic thing like most people do. Any company can put the label natural or organic on their product and charge a ton of money when their stuff ain't even natural.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
    If the products are actually organic, but just haven't been certified yet, then I don't see the problem. Also, it may just be an issue with the way products are named, e.g. for Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo - maybe they are saying the shea butter they use is organic, not the whole shampoo. Tbh, that's how I read the product label, as a shampoo using organic shea butter. I mean, we all knew the 'raw' in the label was in reference to the shea butter alone, so why not the 'organic' too? Why the assumption that the organic meant the whole product?

you cannot call your product organic, if only one ingredient (out of so many) is organic. You can say Made with organic _______ if the product contains at least 70% organic ingredients (excl. water) and you have to have a certificate to prove that you have gone through the certification process

the problem is precisely that. these companies are using some organic ingredients, but are failing to certify their product, yet still claiming organic. And futhermore, they are using many ingredients that do not qualify as organic in the least (e.g., no way behentrimonium chloride is organic and that's an ingredient that is high up on the list in some SheaM products). They are probably (and I say probably because I don't know the formula for shea moisture) not meeting the minimum 70% organic ingredients (excluding water) to claim "made with ___" and they are certainly not meeting the 95% to claim that their product is "organic"

ok here's an example of sheaM's Organic Yucca and Baobab Volumizing Conditioner:

Contains de-ionized water, Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter)*, Sorbitol Esters, Mangifera Indica (mango) seed butter, Persea Gratissima (avocado) oil, Aloe Barbadenis leaf extract, Yucca Filamentosa extract, vegetable protein, Glycine Soja (soybean) oil, Adansonia digitata (Baobab) extract, biotin, rosemary extract, bamboo extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract.

*Denotes certified organic ingredients.

if you take organic to only refer to the extracts of Yucca and Baobab, you will see that this is false as these extracts are not even certified organic.

They are misleading people. Period. Yes, they have certified organic ingredients (only the shea and coconut oil are cert. organic), but I don't think enough to have organic prominent on the principal display panel of their label. Even if they meet the 70% mark for claiming "made with organic______" then their label should read Yucca and Baobab Volumizing Conditioner: Made with organic shea and coconut oils. That would be the most conservative and accurate labeling.

pasting this again for more info:
    Organic Labeling Categories

100 percent organic: Product must contain (excluding water and salt) only organically produced ingredients. Products may display the USDA Organic Seal and must display the certifying agent’s name and address.

Organic: Product must contain at least 95 percent organically produced ingredients (excluding water and salt). Remaining product ingredients must consist of nonagricultural substances approved on the National List or non-organically produced agricultural products that are not commercially available in organic form, also on the National List. Products may display the USDA Organic Seal and must display the certifying agent’s name and address.

Made with more than 70% organic ingredients: Products contain at least 70 percent organic ingredients and product label can list up to three of the organic ingredients or “food” groups on the principal display panel. For example, body lotion made with at least 70 percent organic ingredients (excluding water and salt) and only organic herbs may be labeled either “body lotion made with organic lavender, rosemary, and chamomile,” or “body lotion made with organic herbs.” Products may not display the USDA Organic Seal and must display the certifying agent’s name and address.

Made with less than 70% organic ingredients: Products cannot use the term “organic” anywhere on the principal display panel. However, they may identify the specific ingredients that are USDA-certified as being organically produced on the ingredients statement on the information panel. Products may not display the USDA Organic Seal and may not display a certifying agent’s name and address. Water and salt are also excluded here.

ETA: disclaimer, I'm not going in on sheaM because they did a bad thing. It's the only example I could easily find ingredients to post, plus I have them here at home.

Their products are great for those who love them (didn't work for me), they just need to do more accurate labeling. Can others post other examples?
    CocoT wrote: »
    +1! coilynapp rocks!

I'll be your guinea pig if you ever need testers :) Just sayin
    :D
  • NLuvWithCurlzNLuvWithCurlz Registered Users Posts: 99
    Where did u guys see shea moisture?

My hair wets when water touches it !;-)
    FIERCE LOVE AND CURLS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights