This is NOT Natural

MidisurfMidisurf Registered Users Posts: 88
Interesting article about Aevin Dugas having the worlds biggest afros but after talking about going natural she mentions her routine.

"My regimen is pretty simple. I shampoo with Suave Clarifying, then follow with Suave Almond and Shea and Garnier Fruictis Triple Nutrition. Then I condition with Aussie Moist, Garnier Fructis Triple nutrition, Pantene Nature Fusion Moisture Balance, Pantene Beautiful Lengths and Dove Intense Moisture. During the week I work out, so I leave the conditioner in and put my hair up into a donut or a french braid. Then by Thursday, if I have plans for the weekend, I’ll rinse the conditioner, shampoo again with the Triple Nutrition then style."

This is not natural. Just look at all the different product brands like Garnier, Suave, Pantene. All man made chemicals! Natural is so over used.
- Nate

Co-wash - Boots / Tresemme Naturals
Condition - Bodyshop Rainforest / Tresemme Naturals
Style - Holland and Barrett Aloe Vera gel / Garnier Fructis Camouflage gel

Comments

• wurlacurlswurlacurls Registered Users Posts: 413 Curl Neophyte
    I think when she says natural she means no chemical process in her hair, such as relaxers or texturizers.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • MidisurfMidisurf Registered Users Posts: 88
    True but I think the same can be said for these products been used in the CG method.
    - Nate

Co-wash - Boots / Tresemme Naturals
    Condition - Bodyshop Rainforest / Tresemme Naturals
    Style - Holland and Barrett Aloe Vera gel / Garnier Fructis Camouflage gel
  • KurlyPrincessKurlyPrincess Registered Users Posts: 1,847
    please ignore post. :D

@midisurf, thanks for posting this!
    <3 Our love is like the wind; I can't see it. But I can feel it. <3
  • ttlollattlolla Registered Users Posts: 948 Curl Neophyte
    Wurlacurl's explanation is spot on , as regards to cg (a method I don't use) I never thought it was about using natural products .

I thought the basis for the method was no silicones and sulphates
    And Im pretty sure shes just naming all the products that she uses that work for her, shes not saying she uses them all at the same time.

Natural means something different to women of color like myself.

• KsLiZCuRlZKsLiZCuRlZ Registered Users Posts: 272
    Well, if she's not natural then what is she?

Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    CG..yep that's me!

:occasion7:
  • KilajoKilajo Registered Users Posts: 786 Curl Neophyte
    Interesting thread. I disagree though. I think she's natural. You don't have to use juices squeezed from berries you picked off an organic tree to put in your hair to be natural. IJS

On my EVO
  • ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Registered Users Posts: 542 Curl Neophyte
    I think the word "natural" is referring to her hair not having a relaxer or texturizer or any other chemical that alters the hair shaft, not the type of products she uses on it. I'm transitioning from relaxed to my natural hair texture and I'm not using specific all natural hair care products. I use v05, organic root stimulator(is not organic), herbal essence etc, and I'm still considered natural. As someone said the natural means something different to a woman of color.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    Being natural refers to wearing your hair in its natural state. It has NOTHING to do with the products you use in your hair. It just so happens that a lot of women who wear their hair natural also tend to want to use more "natural" products. So now, natural (hair) state becomes synonymous with "natural" hair products.

CG refers to using products with no silicones or sulfates. Again, has nothing to do with using "natural" products, just turns out that the more "natural" products tend to be silicone and sulfate free and now CG has become synonymous with natural, but it was never the case (still isn't) that CG=natural, just most "natural" products tend to be CG.

Also, everything is a chemical. everything on this earth.

I'm really not getting this stretch that if you are not using 100% natural products in your natural hair, then you are not natural...what? I guess anyone on here who uses conditioner cannot be considered natural then??? Don't think so.

ETA: OP may not be familiar with how people with afro-textured hair talk about their hair??? When we say "I'm natural" it means that we are wearing our hair in its natural state (curly, kinky, coily, whatever you want to call it) and not straightening it with relaxers. This may or may not extend to the type of products we use.

ETA again: The only thing I agree with OP on is that the word natural is overused, just like organic. You will find people saying that btms is natural--it's not. It's synthetic.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • A. LoveA. Love Registered Users Posts: 519
    coilynapp wrote: »
    Being natural refers to wearing your hair in its natural state. It has NOTHING to do with the products you use in your hair. It just so happens that a lot of women who wear their hair natural also tend to want to use more "natural" products. So now, natural (hair) state becomes synonymous with "natural" hair products.

CG refers to using products with no silicones or sulfates. Again, has nothing to do with using "natural" products, just turns out that the more "natural" products tend to be silicone and sulfate free and now CG has become synonymous with natural, but it was never the case (still isn't) that CG=natural, just most "natural" products tend to be CG.

Also, everything is a chemical. everything on this earth.

I'm really not getting this stretch that if you are not using 100% natural products in your natural hair, then you are not natural...what? I guess anyone on here who uses conditioner cannot be considered natural then??? Don't think so.

ETA: OP may not be familiar with how people with afro-textured hair talk about their hair??? When we say "I'm natural" it means that we are wearing our hair in its natural state (curly, kinky, coily, whatever you want to call it) and not straightening it with relaxers. This may or may not extend to the type of products we use.

ETA again: The only thing I agree with OP on is that the word natural is overused, just like organic. You will find people saying that btms is natural--it's not. It's synthetic.

+1

Just because someone says his/her hair is "natural", does not necessarily mean he/she uses all-natural products. Natural hair is a reference to wearing one's natural texture meaning not chemically straightened or loosened.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    Last relaxer: 1st week of July 2009
    BC: Aug 29, 2010
    2nd BC: June 20, 2011

Shampoos: SM MR, SM ABS, Ion Color Defense Clarifying
    Detangle: V05 or Suave Naturals
    RO: Tigi MM,
    Treatments: CJCR, SM Scalp Elixir
    LI: any LI+oil+aloe juice
    Moisturizers: QBAOHC, SMCES, SMH&SMM
    Sealants: oils, OHBSP, JCN&S
    Gels: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Eco Styler Pink, KCCC
    Other: SM Scalp Elixir, Curls Control Paste

My Twitter
    KinksOfNature.com
    I agree with Kilajo...you don't have to use natural products to say that you're natural.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    interesting thread, i was wondering that myself while i was trying tones of different products, that started off alright but then made my hair a massive mess, so i thought well this is getting me no where, im spending money of stuff i dont use that wrecking my hair..... so ive decided that im not going to use any products for a month just to see how good i can get my hair, then i think if it goes well that im just going to use CG products when ever im going out or when i need it.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
    You don't have to use all natural products TO BE natural. Let's please
    not read any more into what I said or meant by what I said. Thank you!
    On my EVO
    ^^^ummm....who's reading more into what you said? :confused:
    I'm so glad you posted this.. exactly something I was trying to prove a while ago.

For me after you put alll that stuff in your hair it's not really natural.

Thanks for posting!

ETA: And she said it's simple.. lol. She put like a million different products in her hair.

I agree with Kilajo...you don't have to use natural products to say that you're natural.

Huh?

Sorry,I didn't quote them...kurlyprincess' post. The poster made it clear in their first post how they felt and then proceeded to agree with me on something I didn't say.

On my EVO
    wurlacurls wrote: »

Huh?

I took that post as "anyone can SAY anything but it doesn't make it so" based on that person's original post in the thread. Their feelings seemed clear from the first post so the second seemed disingenuous to me.

On my EVO
    Kilajo wrote: »

Sorry,I didn't quote them...two posts up. The poster made it clear in their first post how they felt and then proceeded to agree with me on something I didn't say.

On my EVO
    she wasn't saying that you said that...she was stating her opinion in a different way

not having to use juices and berries from an organic tree to be natural is really just an extreme way of saying that you don't have to use natural products in your hair to say your hair is natural.

I guess I don't see what you were calling out :confused:

Sorry,I didn't quote them...two posts up. The poster made it clear in their first post how they felt and then proceeded to agree with me on something I didn't say.

On my EVO
    she wasn't saying that you said that...she was stating her opinion in a different way

not having to use juices and berries from an organic tree to be natural is really just an extreme way of saying that you don't have to use natural products in your hair to say your hair is natural.

Ok did you read her first post? Maybe go back, read then read her second... she's clearly not agreeing with me and that's fine. You may not either. I don't really care. And the juices comment was my attempt at humor. Get it? If not oh well it doesn't matter. Extreme? Yea ok...

On my EVO

Huh?

I took that post as "anyone can SAY anything but it doesn't make it so" based on that person's original post in the thread. Their feelings seemed clear from the first post so the second seemed disingenuous to me.

On my EVO

Yes, I was confused too. I wasnt sure if she was being sarcastic in the 2nd post, or changing her mind. The 1st post was very clear she didnt think it should be called natural when using all those different products. I was just a little confused.

On my EVO

Ok did you read her first post? Maybe go back, read then read her second... she's clearly not agreeing with me and that's fine. You may not either. I don't really care. And the juices comment was my attempt at humor. Get it? If not oh well it doesn't matter. Extreme? Yea ok...

On my EVO

I got you. I think its the cultural difference. Unless you have afro-textured hair it may be hard to understand why natural to us means not altering our hairs natural texture, not what type of product, or how many for that matter, are being used.

well i was only looking at the post she made after you, because she cannot be reading anyting into your post until you post.

I guess I should have used exaggerated instead of extreme. that's more fitting.

if you read that post on its own, it looks like she changed her mind once she saw your post (don't know) and agreed with you. I do not think she was saying "anyone can say anything, it doesn't make it so". I think she was saying what you were saying just in a different way...you do not have to use natural products in your hair to call yourself natural.

you might be reading too much into her post.
    well i was only looking at the post she made after you, because she cannot be reading anyting into your post until you post.

I guess I should have used exaggerated instead of extreme. that's more fitting.

if you read that post on its own, it looks like she changed her mind once she saw your post (don't know) and agreed with you. I do not think she was saying "anyone can say anything, it doesn't make it so". I think she was saying what you were saying just in a different way...you do not have to use natural products in your hair to call yourself natural.

you might be reading too much into her post.

Yes, I thought perhaps she changed her mind or perhaps she was being sarcastic. I actually went back and read her 1st post to see if she had edited. She hadnt, so I thought the 2nd post must be sarcastic. I guess we wont know until she tells us, if she does. :/

Huh?

sorry...that didn't really make sense did it.

What I was trying to say: Just because you use products with silicones and sulfates doesn't mean you aren't natural.

I don't know if that made more sense or not.
    I see there is LOTS of confusion as to what I was saying. I was not being sarcastic in my second post... or my first. I was just talking about 2 different things in my posts.

Kilajo, I wasn't trying to "read into your post" or whatever. I didn't word it right. Sorry

What I was saying in my first post is different from my second.
    I got you. I think its the cultural difference. Unless you have afro-textured hair it may be hard to understand why natural to us means not altering our hairs natural texture, not what type of product, or how many for that matter, are being used.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

On my EVO

On my EVO

right on!
    KP I apologize as well for taking your second post the wrong way. I wanted to be clear about what I intended with my first post. All is good. :)

On my EVO
    ^It's all good :)

ETA: That's the second time my mind has been else where while I'm typing and I write the wrong thing and never realize it. My bad.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file