botched hair cut..help

EyezSmileyEyezSmiley Registered Users Posts: 6
long story short got a horrible trim..back is about 6 inches middle of my head 2 inches and in the front the left side is shorter then the other smh.. 2 yrs of growth down the drain :crybaby: my dilemma is should i just let it grow out for a few months or just cut it all even and then get braids (hair grows faster in them )..

any advice greatly appreciated !
2nd Time Natural-Last Relaxer-Feb 09 BC-July/August 09. Current Style-Braids/Weave till Spring/Summer 2011

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    If you completely hate it when you look in the mirror, and you're too disgusted to try anything new with regard to styling, go with braids.

My sympathies. A bad haircut is a very upsetting thing to endure.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    EyezSmiley wrote: »
    long story short got a horrible trim..back is about 6 inches middle of my head 2 inches and in the front the left side is shorter then the other smh.. 2 yrs of growth down the drain :crybaby: my dilemma is should i just let it grow out for a few months or just cut it all even and then get braids (hair grows faster in them )..

any advice greatly appreciated !

Was this at a salon??? One area being 6 inches and another being 2 inches is a very noticeable difference. You can get braids without having to cut any hair off, though I'd understand you wanting to cut it all evenly. I think braids would allow you to have some versatility while you grow out the cut.
  • cocodejcocodej Registered Users Posts: 1,182
    I feel your pain. I had a press 'n' curl go wrong and now I have short sections when my hair was even all around before I sat in the stylist's chair!

I decided not to even my hair all around until I got some length back. I am going to grow it out for nine months with trims every two/three (this part is a lil tricky, so I blowout, section, then trim accordingly). However, I believe I read somewhere that different hair lengths place much more stress on the longer strands...ahhh here under the "Remove the Damage" section. So a lot more patience is needed when detangling, styling, etc.

I would suggest protective styles with your own hair that hide the cut, like flat twists, cornrows. And also using a product with lanolin on the shorter sections and the hair around it to help with the stress caused by the uneven cut. There is a post about that here.

I would not suggest braids/twists UNLESS you can find someone who will not jeopardize your scalp or hairline. I have just given up on finding a braider like that.

Sincerely hope this helps!
    James Baldwin
    A Talk To Teachers
    [...]
    one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
    [...]
  • cassochinadollcassochinadoll Registered Users Posts: 21
    Yeah I agree, If you are going to wear braids then why cut it at all. Get braids and grow it out. And then gradually even it out each time you take down the braids.
  • EyezSmileyEyezSmiley Registered Users Posts: 6
    thank you all for your advice! its sad because it happened at a salon w/ a stylist that ppl rave about on here :( the best decision is to just grow it out and in a few months i'll check progress and even out accordingly

@cocodej- thanks for the info on different length hairs placing stress on the longer ones---so true! i did notice a a bit of breakage so I up'ed my moisuret like nobodies business !

ugh.. two steps forward..two steps back

Thank you all soo much :thumbleft:
    2nd Time Natural-Last Relaxer-Feb 09 BC-July/August 09. Current Style-Braids/Weave till Spring/Summer 2011
  • oooohsuperoooohsuper Registered Users Posts: 16
    Same thing happened to me. The stylist for some reason made the layers in the back really short, so when dry and curly the back is a good 2 inches or so shorter then the rest. I've been getting them trimmed (by a more knowledgeable stylist) every 2-3 months. Usually the stylist will cut off the absolute minimum from the short parts and a little more on the rest (my idea to try and even it out over time since I don't want to go drastically short). She did blend the back a bit so it's not as noticeable as before, but yeah I can feel your pain.

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
    3a/b; coarse texture; low porosity; low elasticity; medium density; just above the shoulders
    pre-poo: coconut oil + evoo
    cleanser: alberto vo5 herbal escapes clarifying shampoo (1-2x/week), palmer's coconut oil formula conditioning shampoo
    ro: l'oreal paris advanced haircare power moisture hydrating conditioner
    li/curl enhancer: sm conditioning milk, sm curl enhancing smoothie
    styler: ecostyler olive oil gel, brhg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file