From spirals to wavy??

OK ladies I have been on CG since November and try not to overdo the conditioning. I do an ACV rinse periodically but now my probelm is my curls are dying down. I did a dt about one week ago and everyday my curls dwindle. I realize my hair is course and heavy so know some of it is weight, however before I saw some beautifully defined spirals and they just keep getting less defined and plain old straight and wavy. I feel sad, what can I do??
3B, CG,Corkscrew
Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
Irish-American Curly
Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
RedheadCurly

Comments

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    If you're still using Suave, STOP and switch to something else. Suave has killed more good CG beginning than I can keep track of!
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Registered Users Posts: 256
    I agree with half wavy! I've found conditioner has a massive impact on curl formation (I trust more in my conditioner to get great curls than any gel or cream or anything else). From my own experience the Regis Olive oil conditioners are great at getting my curls spirally again along with Jessicurls [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]aloeba[/buylink].
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • summercurlsummercurl Registered Users Posts: 5
    I have been using Suave Tropical Coconut for CO washing and also for conditioning, and I don't want this to happen to me! :( Is there another relatively cheap conditioner you can recommend for washing with? I use the LHC method, so I go through quite a bit. As a poor grad student, I can only afford to spend so much on hair products! :roll:

TIA for any help you might have!
  • teela1978teela1978 Registered Users Posts: 278
    It's interesting to me how many people have problems with suave, my favorite CO conditioner is suave aloe vera and I've never had a problem with it. If the coconut is working for you I wouldn't bother switching around too much. However, white rain extra body and VO5 sun kissed rasberry work pretty darn good for me if you eventually find the need for cheap alternatives.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
    The coconut does seem to be working in the sense that it makes my scalp feel clean, but my hair doesn't shine anymore like it used to. My hair always used to shine when I was using shampoo (TJ Refresh, which isn't too harsh), even though it was more prone to dryness and I used conditioner by the handful.

But so anyway, it's not like I'm desparate for a switch, but if I thought there was something that might be better, I'd give it a try. I also have hard water, that might be part of the problem.
    Summercurl:

If your hair is not shining anymore that could be a sign that there's a film over it dulling it. I am pretty sure Suave doesn't work when the water contains too many minerals. Try to find the VO5 Kiwi & Lime Squeeze Clarifying CO, because of the lime it may rinse out better from your hair. I don't recommend it for a finishing rinse-out CO though as it can be drying. You may have to get a 'cone free leave-in CO or moisturizing cream/lotion and just apply a little bit of it after you get out of the shower and then your gel (or mix both if possible).
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

HWHC,

Thanks, I think you were right that there was a film dulling my hair. I suspected this as well, so I did citric acid rinses the last two times I washed my hair. It really helped a lot, my shine seems to be back.

The thing that worries me about the VO5 Kiwi & Lime is that the first washing conditioner I tried was Refresh from Trader Joe's, which is heavy on the citrus. It seemed to dry my length out and made the ends feel rough, even though I didn't directly apply it there and I used a different conditioner afterwards. When I switched to Suave Coconut, I didn't have that problem anymore.

I'll definitely keep that in mind, though, if I keep having this problem. Thanks again for your help! :D
    The VO5 K&L now has a new formula that's supposed to be more moisturizing, the old formula has been drying for some people but I think they had tried using it as a finishing CO or too frequently for washes. I still have that one and use it once a week. I rinse it out very well, then follow with a richer one and can't say it's dried my hair, I think gels and other stylers are actually more drying for my hair.

Another thing I hold against ALL of the inexpensive COs is that hardly any of them has oils (=emollients), an essential ingredient according to the CG book. So one way you could make them more effective and less dulling is by putting an individual portion of CO in a plastic applicator bottle, then dilute it with a little water and add a few drops of a good oil; and perhaps a trickle of honey (shake well before applying). Honey has moisturizing and slight clarifying properties of its own and is reported to help with shine. I have added a tiny bit of melted coconut oil to a portion of Suave Tropical Coconut and it worked pretty well as a leave-in, however, I'd never use it regularly just in case. I've also added extra jojoba oil and Vit. E directly to the bottle of the Milk & Honey so I can use it again; I will probably also add honey to an individual portion and see how that goes.

• RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Hello everyone. Thanks to Summercurl, Teela, Grecian and Halfwavy- I appreciate greatly all of your feedback. So probably switching conditioners would be my best bet. I am not going to discontinue Suave completely but experiement with a few different types of condishes, including the honey and jojoba that Half recommended. I, also have lots of minerals, in my water and sure that is contributing. In my ideal world I would have a great water softener as well as a great filter but until then I will have to do a few ACV rinses and try new condishes as well as toy around with different gels that have no cones, and are more water soluable. Oh, a woman's work....LOL. I have also found this great curl activator gel which has aloe vera gel which I am experiementing with and will let you all know how it goes.

However, I think I wiill have to order a no-poo or low-poo. I agree that a wash to lift some of the gels and that is a good idea. All in a Curly Girl's day....thanks a mil.

Sorry it took awhile to respond I was out of town on family business. Take care all, cannot wait to see the spirals again.
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
    Hey Red, I just wanted to add that if you'd read the problems some people are having with softened water you wouldn't feel so bad having water that's a little hard, besides, it's better for our health to drink such water.

In the past I tried one of those "curl activators", I think it had aloe but also a lot of propylene glycol, an ingredient I believe is not very good for our health. This product only took care of frizz but didn't activate my curls, in fact it relaxed them so I used them to help my hair be straighter, so if by chance you notice this effect you'll know why!

Yes, I am not sure on the hard water thing.

LOL on the cur activator thing. Yes, I did not use it today, it did not seem to do too much for me.

I think my next move is to invest in some of these good products from curlmart, but was shocked to see they sell lots of 'cone products. I make sure to get the no cone products.

Take care.
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    HI there red!

I'm a coarse 3B also, so maybe my experience will help.

My winter curls seem to be less spirally on average than my summer ones.

I really need extra, extra conditioning this time of year. While I think that some of the finer haired curlies get less curly from overconditioning, I have wondered if some us coarser-haired curlies get less curly from under-conditioning.

If you are chosing to go the drugstore route with your conditioners, I'd second the other posters who mentioned oils, honey etc. I woud add coconut oil to my drugstore condish, and it helped until about November when I just needed more.

If you have more freedom to purchase things online, and your hair can handle protein, I'd recommend the Curl Junkie conditioners or the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balance[/buylink] Conditioner. Both gave me enough moisture to keep my curls spirally.

I had to give up both due to my hair's protein and glycerin issues, but I still consider them to be great product lines.

Jessicurl has nice conditioners too. They are low-protein, so even many who can't handle proteins in other lines can handle this - except me. :lol:

I just started expirimenting with the Steiner line since they have a couple of things that are protein and glycerin free. Excellent so far, and the moisturization from the DT has made my hair look a couple of inches shorter because it has spiralled back up so much.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Redceltic- Thanks a million, I love what you said
    I think that some of the finer haired curlies get less curly from overconditioning, I have wondered if some us coarser-haired curlies get less curly from under-conditioning.

I have thought of this too. I thought I was going nuts because I was sure I was a corkscrew-spirally and then boom, all of a sudden started looking way to boticelli, so I did not get it. I am not sure if I am protein-sensitive but will take the curly walk slowly. I must say you must have read my mind about the dt because I just used my Serious Curl Conditioner, just amazing with humectants with very low cones and my hair is silky smooth and yes I actually do have corkscrews, I am not nuts, LOL.

I have reverted back to using my Marc Anthony Curls Lotion. I had left it at my father's house and tried it again, no cones so it is safe and has PVA and PVP. I love it it brings spring to my curl.

Congrats on losing length from spring, how cool is that? Here is a cool site I am going to post in a new post from Marc Anthony, http://www.marcanthony.com

It is haircare for curlies and I am going to check it out.
    By Red, from another Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Irish-American Curly
    RedheadCurly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file