Help nursing hair back to health

curlylarucurlylaru BannedBanned Users Posts: 143
My mother has beautiful waist lenght 3b kiny curly hair. However, it is so dried out it appears courser then it really is, has no shine, is breaking near the hair line and has split ends. I want to help her nurse her hair back to health by aquiring a good weekly deep conditioning routine and hair regime.

We are not interested in the curly girl routine and going to a salon is hit in miss as it's hard to find someone that won't ruin your hair so we want to do this at home and she's game. The hair that grows out of her hair is nice and healthy but as it gets down the lenght it gets worse and worse so it appears she's damaging her hair somehow.

She colors her gray about 3 times a year with store box dye so this may be contributing to the dryness. She only washes her hair about every 2 weeks and she uses gels or oils on her curls. She only flat irons her hair at most 2 or 3 times a year. So we don't even know what's drying her hair out she says her hair has been really dry her whole life but now it's just really bad.

Can anyone recommend any good protein treatments (her hair loves protein) and good deep moister treatments to alernate with? Also can anyone recommed any good at home coloring products to cover her gray to minimize damage. We don't want to do the curly girl method and she doesn't like henna.

Any advise or tips on deep conditioning and a good hair care and coloring regime would be much appreciated. Her hair is simply too beautiful to be looking like this and I want to help her out. I know what works on my hair but it isn't having the same effect on hers. She apparently has other hair needs.

My sisters and I have hair very similiar to hers with the exception of our curls being much smaller then hers. Our hair is silky, shiny and healthy and none of us our on the curly girl method btw. And, we wash our hair a lot more often and straighten and style much more then she does. So, it's apparent she's doing something to cause the beauty of her hair not to show.

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    You said she washes every two weeks but you don't say what she does to keep her hair moisturized in between washings. If the anwser is nothing then that explains at least part of the reason her hair is dry and breaking. Does she use leave in conditioner?

I would encourage her to shampoo/ condition/dc once a week and cowash once more during the week to see how she does. Use a leave in and she needs to seal in the moisture with oil or butter.

Does your mom use permanent dye? I know that broke my hair off years ago. I'm no expert on dyes but I think you have to use special products for color treated hair. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Hate to say it but my opinion is to cut off the damaged ends and start fresh. Split ends will continue to be a problem until you get rid of them. And if you use a protein dc, you have to follow with a moisturizing treatment of the hair will become hard and brittle.

Hope that helps.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Registered Users Posts: 3,397
    ^Great advice.

I would reiterate that you can't save split ends. Once they're split, they need to be cut off as the split can travel up the strand and damage the hair, which may be what's happened to her hair. Cut off the damaged ends and start over.

Also, I will reiterate that she will need to moisturize her hair with a water based product and seal it with an oil or butter EVERY day between washings. Lack of moisture is also contributing to her dry hair.

If she colors her hair, she'll need to DC about once a week. Color raises the cuticle which in turn can make her hair very porous.

Good luck!
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • curlylarucurlylaru Banned Banned Users Posts: 143
    Thanks this sounds like good advise. One thing I do on my hair is wet it every day and apply a leave in. I don't think she's doing that.

If she washes once a week and co-washes in between would just applying a leave-in to seal in the moister be enough? If she applied oils and butters to her hair every day her hair would be greasy, flat and weighed down. She can add oil maybe once a week but more then that wouldn't look good on her hair type.

Also, any advise for protein and deep moisterizing conditioners we can buy?
    Also, she's going to cut off the split ends. She prefers her hair very long (waist length) but has cut her hair a few times this year to get rid of split ends and they just come right back very quickly so we want to remedy what ever is causing the dryness in the first place because she's virtually cutting it for nothing. It grows right back in 2 or 3 months and looks just as bad as before she cuts it. Her ends are just splitting like crazy. And she's not getting trims she's cutting off a lot (all of the split ends). They just come right back.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    Some protein conditioners she can by are:

- Kenra Moisturizing
    - Nioxin Scalp Therapy
    - Elucence Moisture Balancing

for Moisture:

- Redken All Soft (love this stuff! Makes hair so smooth!)
    - Shescentit Avocado Conditioner
    - Garnier Fructis Pure Clean

I also think your Mom should wash at least once a week and finding a gentle shampoo is important. My moisture problems start with how harsh my shampoo is.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    I also recommend that she gives her ends extra nourishment with a leave-in. I use 2. One is lighter (Knot Today) for the rest of my hair to not weigh it down and I use a richer one ( Curl Junkie Beauticurls or Rehab) for my ends because I use chemicals and they get really dried out if I neglect them.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    Some protein conditioners she can by are:

- Kenra Moisturizing
    - Nioxin Scalp Therapy
    - Elucence Moisture Balancing

for Moisture:

- Redken All Soft (love this stuff! Makes hair so smooth!)
    - Shescentit Avocado Conditioner
    - Garnier Fructis Pure Clean

I also think your Mom should wash at least once a week and finding a gentle shampoo is important. My moisture problems start with how harsh my shampoo is.

Thank you this is so helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file