Tried to get curl enhancement - got more than I bargained for

debbahdebbah Registered Users Posts: 48
Hello!

I am relatively new to CG, about 3 weeks.

I've been experimenting with different methods of cleansing and styling. For the last week I've been co-washing every other day, then trying different styling methods, gels, etc to see what works best with my newly curly hair.

Just did my first "plop" today, and boy did I get curl enhancement, but I also got a lot of frizz.

I co-washed with OC, then applied Angel on my soaking wet hair in the shower, then "plopped" into my microfiber towel for about 20 mins. Got great clumping and curls when I took off the plop, I clipped the crown and let it air dry all day. I've been pretty good about not touching it as it dries, but I've ended up with great curl (best ever) but also tons of frizz.

What am I doing wrong?

Deborah
CG since September 2011

Type: 2c/3a
Texture: medium-ish
Porosity: normal to low
Density: THICK!

Co-wash: OC
Cond/Leave-in: OC
Style: MOP Curl Defining Cream, Angel, Garnier Pure Clean Gel
SOTC: MOP Glisten pomade, Aveda Humectant Pomade

Looking for: good curl definition, clumping and no frizz

http://momwhoworks.wordpress.com

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You may want to try a flour sack or Curlease towel (or old cotton tee shirt) as microfiber can cause frizz.

Many of us start out with Deva and think we like it, then move on to other things and never look back--especially since they changed ingredients a few years ago.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • debbahdebbah Registered Users Posts: 48
    Thanks kathymac - I may have to commandeer one of hubby's old t-shirts and try that next.

I'm new to the board and I've noticed that a lot of people move off of Deva. I'm already overwhelmed with the amount of product I now need as a new curly (I am a year into a pixie-cut grow out where I didn't give product much thought - didn't need it!). I'm pretty pleased so far with most of the Deva products (although I got Set It Free in the sample pack and that stuff made my hair look great but feel gross).

It would just be great if someone could just say - use this this and this and your hair will look its best. Don't know if there's anyone who offers THAT service do you? :-)
    CG since September 2011

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately, it's trial and error. On the livecurly/livefree website, they offer a hair analysis service and if you get the more expensive service, it's recommends products that may work for you based on your hair properties.

There's no reason for your hair to feel gross. The first time my stylist used a Deva product on my hair, I was amazed that my winter wavy hair had curls in the cold weather. I did a search, which is how I found nc.com. I started with few Deva products (former formuli) and thought my hair looked great. After I started on nc.com, I really learned to use products and technique. My hair went from winter wavy/summer 3a to looking like my signature picture every day. The salon I go to has Deva products, I won't let them use them on my hair. I find the NoPoo drying since the formula change. I bring my own products and towels.

With the more natural products from the online, boutique companies that my hair prefers, it NEVER feels gross. When I use Curl Junkie, my hair feels really good.

The best thing you can do is read, read and read some more.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • debbahdebbah Registered Users Posts: 48
    Just wanted to follow up kathymac - I tried the plop with the t-shirt and it worked GREAT! No frizz at all! Now I'm just experimenting with length of time. Seems like 20 minutes is too long (my hair is chin-length layers so it gets all weirdly shaped) and 10-15 is just about right.

THANKS for the tip!
    CG since September 2011