the BLUSH thread...

luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
hey ladies, i was reading through some old blush threads and wanted to start one with some more current info. i have a few questions...

rcw and others are you still wearing the benefit stain? how's that working for you? do you think it would show up on brown skin? i read that you put it on then put your mineral foundation over it (in an old thread), is that still how you're using it?

i'm not using mac for my foundation or cheeks (because of breakouts from the foundation) anymore. i ordered meow blush but they don't seem as pigmented or matte so i went to the store to buy one and i bought cherry opal by pur minerals. anybody have any tips for wearing their blush?

do you change your blush depending on your makeup/clothes or do you wear the same blush everyday? i mean isn't your natural "blush" if you were really blushing the same color regardless?

i hadn't been wearing blush because i just didn't want to draw attention to blemishes or left over dark marks but now my skin is on the way to even i want to wear blush again. any other blush tips, comments, etc...i'd appreciate.
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I've read different things, such as your blush should match your freckles if you have any, or that one should err toward pink, since most people blush red.

I find stains hard to spread without moisturizer involved, which seems to dilute the color somewhat.

I like subtle blush, so I go for a lighter effect in winter. In summer I'm often flushed anyway, so pink works better then.

MichelleBFT suggested a special type of brush......it's got a lighter tip than base (in the hair). It's worked well for me.

I wonder if a gel blush would work for you?
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    yeah no freckles for me. brown skin with yellowish undertones. i read in allure that a brick red is nice. it does sound like it would be good for me if sheer. i got pur minerals cherry opal and it looks good on. i did one side and not the other. i'll see how it wears but if it works good i might just stick with this and not worry about the tints because they do seem like they might be messy, although i think the benetint has a nail polish kind of brush. i have a fibre optic brush and also one like this tapered brush that works well especially with the pressed product, it's easy to grab too much with the loose product.
    Yes!

Fiber Optic!

I knew it was something that sounded complex but wasn't.

I'm going to look at the cherry opal link now.
    ----
    Okay, I just looked at it. Very pretty! Seems like it would be flattering.

All those pur colors look nice, especially the deeper tints.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote: »

i'm not using mac for my foundation or cheeks (because of breakouts from the foundation) anymore. i ordered meow blush but they don't seem as pigmented or matte so i went to the store to buy one and i bought cherry opal by pur minerals. anybody have any tips for wearing their blush?
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    do you change your blush depending on your makeup/clothes or do you wear the same blush everyday? i mean isn't your natural "blush" if you were really blushing the same color regardless?
    Based on that (IMO outdated) approach, brown people wouldn't wear blush at all. So, yes, people should own multiple blushes and change them based on their other makeup or clothing.

Grrrl, brown girls can wear any blush. Don't listen to the magazines not geared for our skin. They will mostly rec burgundy and dark red brown, which can look great, but there are so many other options:

*Mac Dolly Mix (pink)
    *Mac Peachtwist (I hear Mac Peachykeen is good too, like Nars Orgasm but for darker skin although Orgasm might look good too).
    *Nars Exhibit A (blue red)
    *Bronzer (Hello! Pick a shade or two darker than your skin)
    *Gold shimmer (Magnolia Minerals, which is Black owned, makes BEAUTIFUL pigments called Champagne and Gilded. They look pretty amazing on brown girls as highlighters).
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Why is everyone so crazy about NARS "Orgasm?"
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Why is everyone so crazy about NARS "Orgasm?"

Beats me. It's pretty ugly on me. I wonder if it would be as popular if it had a less titillating name. I love NARS Madly though. I'm not a blush fan in general, but I like this one. It's the only one I own.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    I remember reading your post about some new blush you'd gotten; it was a very subtle color. I like a flush of color but no more, as well.

I think I looked at it once (NARS "Madly"). Have to check it out again.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Based on that (IMO outdated) approach, brown people wouldn't wear blush at all. So, yes, people should own multiple blushes and change them based on their other makeup or clothing.

Grrrl, brown girls can wear any blush. Don't listen to the magazines not geared for our skin. They will mostly rec burgundy and dark red brown, which can look great, but there are so many other options:

*Mac Dolly Mix (pink)
    *Mac Peachtwist (I hear Mac Peachykeen is good too, like Nars Orgasm but for darker skin although Orgasm might look good too).
    *Nars Exhibit A (blue red)
    *Bronzer (Hello! Pick a shade or two darker than your skin)
    *Gold shimmer (Magnolia Minerals, which is Black owned, makes BEAUTIFUL pigments called Champagne and Gilded. They look pretty amazing on brown girls as highlighters).

good points. i do have a few blush shades but they are meow and for some reason just not really getting it for me. i do have a bronzer by them also and again, no wow. i might get the pur minerals bronzer because the blush is flattering. i don't chance it with mac on foundations, tinted moisturizers or even blush. REALLY bad breakouts from 2 of the 3. thanks for the recs!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I can't imagine only owning one blush. I probably have 20 of them that I rotate through on a regular basis, and another 30 or so in sample sizes. I ADORE blush. There isn't just one color for me. I have stains (Benetint and Posietint) and they are very buildable, so would do well on all skin tones. I also have several Tarte stains, which I particularly like to wear when I'm not wearing any other makeup, but when I do wear foundation, I apply it over the blush. Tarte's Natural Beauty and Flush are favorites, and they just came out with a limited edition color "True Blood" that I'm dying to try...just waiting for a sale.

I also have a lot of powders.

I like pinks, purple-y-pinks, true reds (I have one that is the same color as blood...looks great, very authentic and natural, but requires a very light hand to apply, even with a fiber optic brush...a few grains of power seem like enough for a whole face). Some of my blushes have sheen or sparkle, most don't. A great place to get true matte blushes in lovely barely-there shades is lauress.com or corycosmetics.com.

I'm not a fan of Nars, in Orgasm or any other color. Orgasm is too orange-y for me anyway. I'm a cool-toned person and Orgasm was made for either cool or warm toned...and therefore doesn't look fantastic on either, IMO.

I say just try blushes til you find something that makes you look and feel beautiful...and then keep on looking, because blush is too much fun to have just one.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    I can't imagine only owning one blush. I probably have 20 of them that I rotate through on a regular basis, and another 30 or so in sample sizes. I ADORE blush. There isn't just one color for me. I have stains (Benetint and Posietint) and they are very buildable, so would do well on all skin tones. I also have several Tarte stains, which I particularly like to wear when I'm not wearing any other makeup, but when I do wear foundation, I apply it over the blush. Tarte's Natural Beauty and Flush are favorites, and they just came out with a limited edition color "True Blood" that I'm dying to try...just waiting for a sale.

I also have a lot of powders.

I like pinks, purple-y-pinks, true reds (I have one that is the same color as blood...looks great, very authentic and natural, but requires a very light hand to apply, even with a fiber optic brush...a few grains of power seem like enough for a whole face). Some of my blushes have sheen or sparkle, most don't. A great place to get true matte blushes in lovely barely-there shades is lauress.com or corycosmetics.com.

I'm not a fan of Nars, in Orgasm or any other color. Orgasm is too orange-y for me anyway. I'm a cool-toned person and Orgasm was made for either cool or warm toned...and therefore doesn't look fantastic on either, IMO.

I say just try blushes til you find something that makes you look and feel beautiful...and then keep on looking, because blush is too much fun to have just one.

Lol, that's how I feel about nail polish. I'm happy with one blush. I can't image one nail polish color.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    And that's my feeling about lipstick. I like variety.
    i got a compliment from an old friend today on my skin. while it's clearing yes, i think the blush had something to do with the compliment. it was actually a guy and he jokingly said, are you preggo? lol. blush that makes you glow like that must be a good one! ;)
    I'd say so!

Do you think it's better to mix powder blush colors on the brush, or apply different colors on your face in light layers?
    I'd say so!

Do you think it's better to mix powder blush colors on the brush, or apply different colors on your face in light layers?

well it's funny, i've gotten into painting (on a canvas) lately. yesterday i painted my dog. i layered colors in short strokes and it came out BEAUTIFUL and realistic. my guess is that doing the same would work for the face. i'm going to go back and buy that pur bronzer.
    I'm going to try that.

I hope I remember.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

Lol, that's how I feel about nail polish. I'm happy with one blush. I can't image one nail polish color.

Heh...we're opposites. I have only a couple nail polishes, because I'm just not that interested in nail stuff and rarely use it at all.
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Can someone tell me more about fiber optic brushes and why they are good? I've never heard of them.

I'm pale and for most of my life I picked the pale blushes thinking they were for pale skin. I layered them on until they showed up. By the time you could actually see it it was a pastel mess. 5ish years ago I went to a MAC counter asking about blush. The sales assistant said, "I have the perfect one, don't be afraid." I was afraid. It looked bright orange (the color is Style, actually a shimmery orangy coral). But it was the perfect color and very natural looking. Since then I've used blushes that are sheer and bright that I always thought were for darker skin tones only. They actually look more natural on me then the light and medium muted tones ever did.

If someone is looking for a inexpensive, but effective blush brush. The ELF studio one is nice (3$, target, k-mart). Ideally it would be denser, but it works.

I don't know where to put my blush. I've tried it in lots of different places, but I'm never sure if I have it right.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    I started a thread called "Ask Phoenix" re: makeup, since she's a Per-feshanal.

(That's teasing, not snark. I would actually drive about 100 miles to have my makeup done by her just once in my hapless with anything but lipstick life.)
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Can someone tell me more about fiber optic brushes and why they are good? I've never heard of them.

Fibre optic brushes are pretty ingenious, IMO. This is the one I used to use. Used to only because I became a little more bold in my blush-wearing habits, whereas I used to be very very gun shy with it.

Essentially, the base of the bristles are full density, but about 40% of the bristles are longer than the rest and stick out. This means when you pick up your product with it, you're getting 40% less product and that much less is going on your face, all spread out.

(Please note the 40% number is a total fabrication. It's an estimate from my brain and in no way scientific.)

I look back on my FO brush as my starter blush brush. It was great when I was TERRIFIED of blush, because I'm so fair I was sure it always looked garish. It's still good for applying heavily pigmented products. I've been using a blush from Pure Luxe Minerals for a while now that's less pigmented and easier to apply with a normal badger brush.

In answer to the other question: I mostly wear the one blush. I have a darker, more dramatic blush that I wear mostly in the evening, but it's pretty much just the one. I'm so very, very fair that what would be an interesting blush on most becomes, "What's that stuff on your face?" on me.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I usually wear a dark brownish pink blush. I only own 2 and primarily wear one. One is mac and one is nars. They go with everything. I could have more variety but don't need it.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    My very favorite blush is Smashbox O-Glow. It's a gel and it's the perfect shade of rose. Most blushes are either too bright or don't show up at all, but this one works really well. It makes me look healthy instead of like a vampire.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    Gels always seem to lock in place on me. How do you get it to spread so that it doesn't look obvious?
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I put it on right after moisturizing.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    My skin is still.....smeary then. All white and ghosty from the cream still sinking in.

I think I'd better stick with powder.
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    pedaheh wrote: »

Fibre optic brushes are pretty ingenious, IMO. This is the one I used to use. Used to only because I became a little more bold in my blush-wearing habits, whereas I used to be very very gun shy with it.

Essentially, the base of the bristles are full density, but about 40% of the bristles are longer than the rest and stick out. This means when you pick up your product with it, you're getting 40% less product and that much less is going on your face, all spread out.

(Please note the 40% number is a total fabrication. It's an estimate from my brain and in no way scientific.)

I look back on my FO brush as my starter blush brush. It was great when I was TERRIFIED of blush, because I'm so fair I was sure it always looked garish. It's still good for applying heavily pigmented products. I've been using a blush from Pure Luxe Minerals for a while now that's less pigmented and easier to apply with a normal badger brush.

In answer to the other question: I mostly wear the one blush. I have a darker, more dramatic blush that I wear mostly in the evening, but it's pretty much just the one. I'm so very, very fair that what would be an interesting blush on most becomes, "What's that stuff on your face?" on me.
    Thank you for the explanation. Do you know if duo fiber and fiber optic brushes are the same? Or are they different? I'm thinking I might have to put a fiber optic brush on my "to buy" list. Some of my blushes are bright and pigmented and currently I have to use a light hand and blend, blend blend.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    okay i'm loving my pur minerals cherry opal blush. it wakes up my face, it lasts, i really like it. i've been missing out not wearing blush!
    I'm going to go put some on right now.

Maybe even two colors, blended, at that!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I have probably tried a billion and forty two kinds of blush and spent about a trillion dollars. I might like one for about 5 minutes, then I don't like it anymore. It's especially hard to find one I like in the winter when I'm pasty white.
    I just got some cheap powder blush at the dollar store the other day that I actually like. It's not too sparkly, not too dark, not too pink, not bronzy or muddy looking, stays on, and it's cheap. Not bad.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I don't like sparkly.

My nose does enough shining for the rest of my face, thanks.

I like Sonia Kashuk's blush at Target.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    I don't like sparkly.

My nose does enough shining for the rest of my face, thanks.

I like Sonia Kashuk's blush at Target.

Oh dear dog I hate sparkly. I'm okay with shimmer, but sparkly makes me stabby.

I don't know if Duo and FO are the same.

Posted from my smart phone; please excuse typos or brevity.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file