Hair Milestone: Pony Puff!

soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Registered Users Posts: 1,194
On my way to work today I was adding a moisturizer to my 3 day wash and go to keep it moist for the day. I got a crazy idea to see if I could gather all my hair in a pony and surprise surprise it worked! I used a boar bristle brush to smooth the front and then used a little eco styler to smooth the fly aways and edges.

It's not a giant puff and the few parts of my hair that are shorter than the rest aren't holding completely but it's a pony. I was wondering if I can start doing buns now? Also, is a pony puff considered a low maintenance style?

I'm super excited that I hit a 1st milestone for myself and I'm not quite at the year and half mark yet for being natural. Any ideas or links that can help me embrace this new do will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!! :occasion2:

Snapshot_20110924-vi.jpg
3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

Comments

• CurlyElectraCurlyElectra Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    Good for you!!! I was so excited when I could pull my hair back for the first time. :occasion2:
  • prettyporscheprettyporsche Registered Users Posts: 22
    Yay! I can't wait until my bangs in my ponytail. I can only do it when my hair is wet

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

event.png

event.png

• FabledBeautyFabledBeauty Registered Users Posts: 145
    Super congrats.. Im drooling for the moment I can pull everything back and not look like a chicken head.. its been years...even as relaxed I couldnt do it...:silent:

BUT woooohooo for you =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Getting there slowly but surely!

Natural Since the Beginning of January 2011!:headbang:
    Current: Full Collar Bone
    Texture: 3B/C & 4A
    Goal: APL by New Years 2013 :afro:

See my Natural Journey on Fotki: www.fotki.com/fabledbeauty

Current Favs<3 Taaliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Vegetable Glycerin and Pure Argan Oil!!!
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Registered Users Posts: 1,194
    Thanks guys! I celebrated by buying 2 coupons from KGB for aveyou and getting some new products.

My PJ side is showing:love4:

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• greenjumpergreenjumper Registered Users Posts: 891
    Congrats! That's a big milestone!
  • Runna4LifeRunna4Life Registered Users Posts: 112
    how many months post relaxer are you? I so want a pony puff
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    On my way to work today I was adding a moisturizer to my 3 day wash and go to keep it moist for the day. I got a crazy idea to see if I could gather all my hair in a pony and surprise surprise it worked! I used a boar bristle brush to smooth the front and then used a little eco styler to smooth the fly aways and edges.

It's not a giant puff and the few parts of my hair that are shorter than the rest aren't holding completely but it's a pony. I was wondering if I can start doing buns now? Also, is a pony puff considered a low maintenance style?

I'm super excited that I hit a 1st milestone for myself and I'm not quite at the year and half mark yet for being natural. Any ideas or links that can help me embrace this new do will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!! :occasion2:

Snapshot_20110924-vi.jpg

Yay!!!
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • naturalnewbnaturalnewb Registered Users Posts: 193
    Congrats on your pony puff :) If you want to make a larger puff, you can use a stocking leg or a scarf. Here is an example from youtube (skip to like minute 4 because it's just the randomest chatter until then):

Going Natural 101 - Pantyhose Pony Puff (re-post) - YouTube

She leaves the ends of her stocking sticking up...I tend to wrap the stocking around my hair and tuck in the ends rather than making the knot.

event.png

event.png
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Curl Neophyte
    I can get a TINY bunny tail, but nothing as spectacular as this. Nice. :)

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Registered Users Posts: 1,194
    afrochika wrote: »
    how many months post relaxer are you? I so want a pony puff

Going to hit 21 months in a few days and I didn't transition, I just stopped relaxing for about a month or so then BC'ed. This thread is old so I would say a little over a year and a half to get everything in a pony and my hair grows pretty much exactly half a inch a month. Depending on your growth rate you can have one sooner or much later.

I don't wear a pony or bun much because my hair tangles easily like that and I have sensitive edges.

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• dededededede Registered Users Posts: 78
    I'm made this milestone too!! I am 4 months natural, and 8 months post relaxer :) I am sooo happy! I have 4.5 inches as well
    4.5"-5"
    4 months natural
    8 months post
    4a/4b
    My go-to styles: Wash-N-Go Pony puffs
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte
    APoemDream wrote: »
    I'm made this milestone too!! I am 4 months natural, and 8 months post relaxer :) I am sooo happy! I have 4.5 inches as well

Wow! You must have a great stretching technique! I swear my hair would need to be like 10 inches to stay in a pony! Lol! :happy8:

Do you have a photo?
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • KilajoKilajo Registered Users Posts: 786 Curl Neophyte

Wow! You must have a great stretching technique! I swear my hair would need to be like 10 inches to stay in a pony! Lol! :happy8:

Do you have a photo?

Or a super small head.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Kilajo wrote: »

Do you have a photo?

Or a super small head.

I probably do. haha. I used a stretchy headband and wrapped it around twice, and to keep my bangs back, I just use a headband, but it's not tight at all and my puff is pretty big
    4.5"-5"
    4 months natural
    8 months post
    4a/4b
  • KilajoKilajo Registered Users Posts: 786 Curl Neophyte

Do you have a photo?

Or a super small head.

I probably do. haha. I used a stretchy headband and wrapped it around twice, and to keep my bangs back, I just use a headband, but it's not tight at all and my puff is pretty big

:), well my head's huge. It would take 10-12 in to get my hair in a pony!

Or a super small head.

Here is a picture :)
    4.5"-5"
    4 months natural
    8 months post
    4a/4b
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte

Oooooh! Very good growth for 8 months! Looks very nice! :mrgreen:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:

Oooooh! Very good growth for 8 months! Looks very nice! :mrgreen:

Thank you! I'm trying as hard as I can.
    4.5"-5"
    4 months natural
    8 months post
    4a/4b

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji