How do you know if you need protein or moisture

alicia913alicia913 Posts: 6Registered Users
How do you know if you need protein or moisture... I know my hair is dry but is that because I am lacking moisture or protein?

I DC once a week with shea Butter coconut oil and shea moisture
Co wash once a week
I don't do protective styles i do wash and goes and they last about 5 days...
Any suggestions as to what I can do to have less breakage i de tangle in the shower and rarely touch my hair...
I do my pineapple every night with my silk scarf

Product i use are
Shea Moisture
Jojoba oil
Vitamin E oil
Nourishing Spa from trader joes
Aloe Vera gel
Nourishing shine
Say yes to carrots
Tresame naturals
Tea Tree tingle
Finishing spray shea moisture
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Tutu oil
There is more i just can't think!

But please help... Do i need protein to help with the breakage or more moisture... I just cut 2 inches off and i have been natural for over a year... No relaxer for a year...

New natural and i need Help! Lol

Sent from my Evo 3D using CurlTalk App

Comments

• steph35steph35 Posts: 176Registered Users
    do an experiment: cowash every other day...see what happens. If you no like, don't do.
    french/black american 3b/3c/4a hair; fine n crrrrrrly
    'poo~ SheaMoisture C 'n' H (pink label)
    rinse out/leave in conditioner~ Tresemme Moisture,GVP Balm, Suave Shea and Almond
    Deep Con and Detangling~ Mixed Silk,Elasta QP (now with olive oil!)
    Stylers/Oils~ SheaMoisture DTM, Africa's Best Herbal Oil, ,Grapeseed oil/Tresemme Thermal Spray (great for diffusing/heat) all shea oils
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This link can help. I believe the info you are looking for is on page 5.
    Protein vs Moisture « Pittsburgh Curly
    The link is more about diagnosing over proteined and over moisturized hair. The link makes it seem as if your hair needs either/or. I is quite possible to need both a lot of protein and a lot of moisture. When my hair was very dry, I needed a lot of both. My hair could not hold on to the truckload of moisture I was throwing at it until I "closed the holes" in my cuticle with my truckload of protein. IAgirl's gelatin PT was my magic cure, but YMMV.

This link has more links within it.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/117985-how-do-you-gauge-your-hairs-condition.html
    HTH
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • alicia913alicia913 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks girls for all the help! I think I am going to try a aphogee protein treatment... See how that works my hair is just so dry and brittle... I haven't tried protein but I have all kinds of moisture... So we shall see!

Sent from my PG86100 using CurlTalk App
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aphogee 2-step is very strong. The second step contains mineral oil that some hair hates and some hair has no problem with. I'd suggest trying it (both steps) on a small section/curl of your hair first. That way, if something goes wrong, it won't go wrong for your whole head.
    For what it is worth, IAgirl's gelatin PT and the blow dryer method worked just as well as Aphogee 2-step for me without the stench of aphogee 2-step.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • alicia913alicia913 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Yeah i will try that... I know i have a bunch of friends who have all different kinds of hair and they have had a lot of luck... I think i will try it the 2 step and then the protein later... But i either have a lot of shedding or breakage... I think it's shedding because the pieces are long... But its a lot...

Sent from my PG86100 using CurlTalk App
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Usually, if I go even just a short while without protein, I feel my hair become too stretchy. I notice this as I comb my fingers through my hair while I shower. A good protein loaded product will leave my hair feeling stronger right away. Hair can break because it's either too stretchy or too stiff, and if your breakage is because the hair is too stiff, then back off the proteins for a while.

I've spent the last months thinking my hair just couldn't take any moisture without becoming overmoisturized, since I was constantly getting the "soft fuzz" effect, but now I think it's a humectant problem. Technically, proteins help retain moisture, so they're often referred to as moisturizers too, which is a bit confusing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file