25 and 1/3 less dense

TheFabulisteTheFabuliste Posts: 40Registered Users
I think I have lost 1/3 of my hair (3c,4a?) in the past 4 years.

It has slowly thinned out, I think mostly because of stress, and I couldn't get my relaxers always on time because I was a broke, newly wed still going to college.

I am transitioning now, and I am really worried that my natural hair will not be as thick as I remember it being when I was younger. I started relaxing at 12 or so, after my mom was always blowing it out. I had pretty big hair from what I remember. I know that my relaxed hair last year was not as thick as back when I first relaxed.

Did anyone else notice a similar thinning? Did your hair grow back thickly?

I'm scared and on the fence of whether to chicken out of my hair journey or not...:confused1:

Comments

• denise3099denise3099 Posts: 17Registered Users
    Your hair is thinner, not b/c less is growing in, but b/c it's breaking off b/c of processing. Your new growth will be thick but will take a while to get long enough for your hair to feel thick. Just be gentle with it and wait for the thick hair to fill in.
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not having a picture of your hair "before" it's hard to say. If you braid a section (loosely) does it taper towards the ends (layers don't count)? If so, that's breakage, like denise3099 suggested.
    I am scared for anybody who puts chemical relaxers on/near their hair skin. When I use those chemicals, no matter how careful I am (I use them for a non-hair related purpose) my skin tends to peel. Even when I wash it very well right away. So - serious scalp trauma from relaxers.
    I just posted this picture on my blog, it's a porous (due to being kinky in texture and damaged) hair in dilute potassium hydroxide (similar to a relaxer). It looks weird because it's dissolving. Moments before it looked like "normal" hair with little cuticle scales and everything.KOH_Porous_I.jpg

If you find that you truly are losing hair from your scalp (root attached and all), then it's time to consult a doctor to have a few tests done to make sure you are healthy.
  • TheFabulisteTheFabuliste Posts: 40Registered Users
    denise3099 wrote: »
    Your hair is thinner, not b/c less is growing in, but b/c it's breaking off b/c of processing. Your new growth will be thick but will take a while to get long enough for your hair to feel thick. Just be gentle with it and wait for the thick hair to fill in.

Thanks Denise I feel a bit less nervous :)
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Not having a picture of your hair "before" it's hard to say. If you braid a section (loosely) does it taper towards the ends (layers don't count)? If so, that's breakage, like denise3099 suggested.
    I am scared for anybody who puts chemical relaxers on/near their hair skin. When I use those chemicals, no matter how careful I am (I use them for a non-hair related purpose) my skin tends to peel. Even when I wash it very well right away. So - serious scalp trauma from relaxers.
    I just posted this picture on my blog, it's a porous (due to being kinky in texture and damaged) hair in dilute potassium hydroxide (similar to a relaxer). It looks weird because it's dissolving. Moments before it looked like "normal" hair with little cuticle scales and everything.KOH_Porous_I.jpg

If you find that you truly are losing hair from your scalp (root attached and all), then it's time to consult a doctor to have a few tests done to make sure you are healthy.

Your little science experiment is pretty much the reason I have decided to go natural actually! It IS frightening, I never really thought of it before because I was a child when I first started. Now I planning for for my own child so I want to be healthy and chemical free. (also working out ;)

Anyway, I had my hair cut in an inverted bob back in Jan. So the twists in the back font taper much if at all, but the sides and top sure do.
    Come to think of it, my braids in elementary school did that but only little in the back one.

My mom used to put my hair in two blow out pony tails one on top one in back and then braid each pony in two tight braids...they were thick.

I used to snap elastics with my thick hair lol
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Keep an eye on it. If your fallen hairs have a little root on them, then they're shed from your scalp. But if they don't, then they're broken.
    If you're shedding hair a lot, then have it checked with a doctor.

About the relaxers and the strong bases in them - I once had my ventilation system in my lab operating poorly and breathed too much potassium hydroxide. I could not smell or taste well for about 2 weeks and my voice was hoarse. I wish I could tell everybody using those about the breathing, skin, eye hazards too!
    So if you have skin damage from relaxers in addition to hair damage, that may take a several months or so for the healthier skin cells and hair follicles to begin being the dominant ones.
    Do you have coconut oil? That stuff is amazing as a pre-poo and on dry hair too. It prevents damage to porous hair by preventing it from absorbing water which would make it swell, creating a lot of stress on the hair strands. I think olive oil might be a little better as a scalp treatment, but to each her own :)
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Keep an eye on it. If your fallen hairs have a little root on them, then they're shed from your scalp. But if they don't, then they're broken.
    If you're shedding hair a lot, then have it checked with a doctor.

About the relaxers and the strong bases in them - I once had my ventilation system in my lab operating poorly and breathed too much potassium hydroxide. I could not smell or taste well for about 2 weeks and my voice was hoarse. I wish I could tell everybody using those about the breathing, skin, eye hazards too!
    So if you have skin damage from relaxers in addition to hair damage, that may take a several months or so for the healthier skin cells and hair follicles to begin being the dominant ones.
    Do you have coconut oil? That stuff is amazing as a pre-poo and on dry hair too. It prevents damage to porous hair by preventing it from absorbing water which would make it swell, creating a lot of stress on the hair strands. I think olive oil might be a little better as a scalp treatment, but to each her own :)

I do have falling hairs from the root and breakage as well. This terrifies me.

The ones I notice falling from the root tend to have an irregular pattern to my new growth. Normal is tiny pencil to pen. Spring sized spirals, but these haven't a spiral it's kinda straggly with the relaxed hair attached. Maybe it's follicle damage?

I really only notice all this after taking down a twist, or when I try to detangle. Maybe 1 time per week.

I should probably see the dermatologist right?

I am not sure how to figure out porosity, or how that factors in to things. My hair doesn't take kindly to oils much. Argan is ok if I put a smithering when moist with KKKT.

Last night I mixed up some KKKT water and jojoba oil, spritzed all hair and rubbed into scalp, then covered with a satin bonnet. So far so moist today!

Isn't coconut oil hard? How do you use it in hair?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file