Can anyone help me/offer advice?

kellysmumkellysmum Posts: 167Registered Users
I'm 47 years old with hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome. I take meds for both. I've been growing out my hair and now it is BSL. Problem is, I keep losing it. I'm scared to death to shower and wash my hair because every time I do (and I wash every other day), I lose about 80-100 hairs. Yes, I count them. On the days I don't shower, I do not touch my hair, so I don't shed any hair that is noticeable on those days-it's the shower/wash days that do me in. I've been to my family doctor and a dermatologist, had thyroid and blood work done, and everything was normal. I was patted on the head and told to use Rogaine. I was also told that because I only wash every other day, I am actually only losing 40-50 hairs per day-it just doubles when I massage my scalp in the shower.

I can see my hair is not as thick as it used to be, and I don't know if it's because of the CG method that it looks this way or if I am really experiencing thinning hair. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist at the Cleveland Clinic for next week. I am at my wit's end. Can someone settle me down/offer advice?
Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The "average" person loses 50-100 hairs each day, maybe more if one has a lot. If your hair is "glued" together with gel by day, then it's likely most of them come out in the shower where you will see them rather than be shed unnoticed throughout the day (to form dust bunny nuclei on the floor). I know a woman who was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism, who lost a lot of hair before being diagnosed. She's hoping some will come back. I have read that eating a "Low GI" diet (moderate carbohydrate content using carbs with a low glycemic index) has helped with hair regrowth for some women with PCOS.

Another thing to do is test for breakage - if you braid your hair or a section of it and it tapers towards the end, that's breakage (layers don't count), which makes hair look thin.
    Yet another thing to consider is that too much conditioner on fine, thin hair for some (not all) people makes it have much less overall volume.

When you scalp-massage, it should be a very, very gentle massage. I've read one woman describe it as a "so what" sort of massage - move the skin without pressing firmly. Some people can get away with scrubbing their scalps like they are cleaning the mud from old sneakers, but not you.
    It's also common to lose more hair in autumn than in other months - more hairs are in the "resting and falling out" phase.

Your hair and skin indicate your overall health, so I hope your doctors understand this, but I wouldn't count on it. I think they tend to put it in a separate category (beauty) when we all know instinctively that a person with healthy hair is a healthy person and you can't fake truly healthy hair. And when hair looks bad, falls out dramatically, it's a big red flag.

If you make a note of your hair loss, and it does or does not change with time, this would be very valuable information. Counting the hairs daily may cause you undue stress. A better idea if you feel the hair density on your scalp is changing is to get a good photograph of parts of your hair, hairline, thinning areas in real, outdoor daylight (have somebody else take them or use a self-timer or just do the old "self shot"). Do this every month to reassure yourself there is no change or to document changes if they occur.
  • kellysmumkellysmum Posts: 167Registered Users
    Thank you IAGirl. I am seeing my family doctor on Tuesday, and hopefully he will do the blood tests that, if they come back normal, will put my mind to rest. I suspect that part of my problem is anxiety and you are right: counting the hairs in the drain makes my anxiety even worse. I lost 81 hairs today; used Jessicurl products for the first time and they feel "lighter" on my hair than Curl Junkie, but not necessarily better. My hair is in a much looser curl pattern than with Curl Junkie. I read on a hair loss site that shampoooing with Selsun Blue helps reduce hair loss, but it has a lot of sulfates in it so I would only use it maybe once a week. J/A/S/O/N makes an all natural tea tree oil shampoo that's supposed to help cleanse your scalp of oil-I might try that.

Thank you for your caring, supportive reply.
    Armpit length (dry), middle of back wet, 2c/3a, fine, porous, color-over-gray, normal elasticity. Trying so hard to grow it out.
    CG since June 2011 and loving it so far.
    Product Junkie-love anything CJ. Used to love KT and KCCC, but lately doing nothing for my hair but flattening it.
    Am experimenting with products to see what works for me. Seems like I get different results every day even if I use the same products!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My husband relied on Selsun for years - then it began giving him scalp itch and break-outs.
    A sugar/olive oil scrub, maybe with a few drops tea tree oil is nice (made a little on the oily side) and you can leave that on for 15 minutes or so before shampooing out. Grapeseed oil or apricot kernel or almond would be lighter and good too, olive oil is hard to wash out.
    CeraVe cleanser (the moisturizing one, not the foaming one) are good for the skin and it's basically a cowash, but with special ingredients for healthy skin. Healthy scalp = healthy hair.

If you have seasonal allergies, you might get a bigger hair shed when your allergies are bothering you.

Good luck to you, hope everything turns out okay!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file