AHA or BHA?

JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
Which is a better exfolient for skin that is acne-prone, oily and not sensitive?

Do each of them do different things? I'm so confused.

Also, has anyone on here ever purchased products from Garden of Wisdom Skin Care?
cowash: Tresemme Naturals
rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity

Comments

• MissMamaMissMama Registered Users Posts: 8 Curl Neophyte
    BHA...specifically salicylic acid. Tends to be a little more drying and AHA (such as glycolic and lactic) tend to be more moisturizing. When I think of BHA I think of oily, acne, psoriasis treatment and when I use AHA I use it on people who are dry, sensitive, rosacea, or anti-aging. Start with a lighter peel and work your way up. And always use sunscreen.
  • JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you! :icon_smile: I've been using a 5% AHA from PSF, but haven't noticed a difference (I've been using it for months). I'll look into a BHA and see what I can find.

3a-3b - high porosity
    Depending on which AHA you are using 5% is pretty low. I would suggest trying a 15%-20% salicylic peel. I think you will see faster results with that! Good luck!
    Whoa. Do they even sell that high of a percentage over the counter? I've only ever seen as high as 5%.

3a-3b - high porosity
    Nevermind, I just googled it. :-)

So it'd be better to do like a 15% peel once every 10 days versus using a 5% every 3 days? I was going to purchase a BHA that was at 5% since I've only been using an AHA. And then maybe work my way up.

3a-3b - high porosity
    Technically for 20% and over of ANY acid you should only be going to see professionals (esthetician or doctor) You won't find that in a drugstore but you can order stronger peels on amazon. Just make sure you follow the manufacturer's directions EXACTLY to avoid burns. I'd give a 20% salicylic a chance. Try it once...don't leave it on for long. However long the company suggests to leave it on I would cut that in half the first try. Give your skin about a week to see how it reacts to the peel. Usually with my clients I do one peel give it a week see how it does. Then for once a week for 6 weeks do a peel. After that biweekly or once a month for maintenance. But everyone's skin is different just see how yours does with it. Make sure you invest in some aloe and a good moisturizer with sunscreen. And when doing chemical peels you need to be reapplying that sunscreen at least twice a day. Hope this helps!
    Thanks for your help, MissMama!

I just ordered a mandelic acid/salicylic acid peel from Home Chemical Peels Skin Care Acne Scars Wrinkles I emailed them and described my skin type and problems and asked what they recommended (there are like a million different peels on their site and I was super confused) and they suggested that peel for me. They also sell small samples sizes and said I would get about 10 peels out of the sample size. Hopefully I'll see some good results! :-)

3a-3b - high porosity
  • CAT301CAT301 Registered Users Posts: 40
    I use both. I use Retin-A (0. 25) about 5 nights a week and I use Pure Skin Formulations BHA 2% about 3 or 4 mornings a week. I learned from reading RCW's posts that PSF BHA is the right ph for it to work effectively. It is stronger than some BHA's with a higher percentage. I can tell you I hardly break out anymore. I was super oily, very acne prone and I always had at least 1 large pimple on my face at a time, with lots of blackheads and things lurking under the surface. Most of my blackheads are gone, with the exception of a few on my nose and I don't get the big breakouts around TOM that i used to. Also, overall my skin looks healthier. Less congested, less dark spots from pigmentation where a zit left a mark behind and just generally speaking prettier skin. I'm ALMOST confident to walk out the door without any makeup but mascara. Notice, I said almost. Truth is, I love makeup. I don't want to be without it. :)
    So I used the mandelic/salicylic acid peel on Wednesday - burned like crazy (felt good, though)! The skin around my chin and nose (which breaks out fairly regularly) became rough like a snakeskin and then peeled off. It really seems to have helped so far! The spots I had there have decreased considerably and the skin feels a LOT smoother. I talked to a friend who is an aesthetician and she said she would use a 20% salicylic peel on me (like you said!), but in the meantime I can continue to use what I have and just maybe keep it on a little longer. The peel I already have is supposed to last about 6 - 8 applications and she said the 20% would just not take as many applications to see about the same results. She also suggested a micropeel.

Thanks for the advice, Miss Mama!

3a-3b - high porosity
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I use both AHA and BHA, not at the same time though. :)

I alternate every other night and leave on an all night -- one night Retin A .05, one night MD Forte Cream I (15% glycolic). The AHA cream is definitely better at exfoliating, at least IME.

In the morning, I use Stridex pads in the red box (2% salicylic/BHA). I only recently added the Stridex each morning; I'm hoping it will help clear up the small bumps I've been noticing.

I wear sunscreen every day to help combat any sun sensitivity from any of the products I use.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file