Kinky Curly Mis-labeling

I went to Whole Foods Market last week to pick up some Kinky Curly products as suggested by a friend, and there was a sign in front of the products letting customers know that basically Kinky Curly has been lying about their ingredients and that Whole Foods has asked them to either re-formulate their products, stop making "organic claims" and or list all of their ingredients. Not cool! Never buying their stuff.
I picked up some Jane Carter and Ebene Naturals products instead. If I wanted non-natural products, I would go to Macys not Whole Foods to pick up my hair products.

Comments

• KurlyKeshaKurlyKesha Posts: 120Registered Users
    Wow !!! And to think I was gonna try their custard once my Shea moisture curling souffle ran out...not anymore !!!
  • itsiliiiitsiliii Posts: 340Registered Users
    What what what ahhh x.x
    cat...im a kitty cat...and i dance dance dance :blob7:
    2B/2C hair! :thumbup:

Shampoo: GTTT, SheaMoisture
    Condish Tresemme naturals, GFTN
    DT: Lustrasilk + honey :)
    LI: KCKT, GVP CB
    Styling products: Ouidad CC, TIGI Catwalk, KCCC, PaulMitchell Sculpting Foam
    Oils: Coconut
  • JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    I saw this sign too in my local WF, but it was for the spiral spritz which is not a necessity for me. Was the sign for all of the products in your Whole Foods?
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ETA:

Nevermind. Most likely their issue is something similar to other lawsuits in the works with some companies calling their products organic when only a handful of ingredients are.

I was never confused about Kinky Curly being organic and really this was never a selling point for me anyway. I use whatever works.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Also, if you read this complaint, they name:

Aubrey Organics
    Boots
    Nubian Heritage
    Kiss My Face
    Beauty Without Cruelty
    Curls

....there are others too. I don't see this as an issue where I would stop partonizing these companies.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • KurlyKeshaKurlyKesha Posts: 120Registered Users
    @ afrosheenqueen before I decide not to use kinky curly at all I'm gonna look at the ingredients 1st but I get where whole foods is comin from
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    The lawsuit states that the ingredients must be at least 70% organic in order to be labeled organic. Kinky curly is still mostly natural as far as I know. I think it's silly to go and disparage the name of a decent brand just because it's not "organic." Most of the things we use aren't organic. If you want shampoo and products that are organic look for the USDA organic symbol or buy your own ingredients and make you own. :thumbleft: There are tons of recipes on this site, youtube and others sites. That's how many businesses are started anyway.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    like are they hiding ingredients? or they just they're natural and the ingredients are there and if you don't read the ingredients list, thats your fault. IF they're hiding the ingredients that aren't organic that's rude, but if its just on the list and they claim to be organic I don't care.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally this wouldn't stop me from buying their products. I don't really care if something is organic and if I did, I would only care if it was food. If it's just something going on my hair I couldn't care less if it's organic or not.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• Natural411Natural411 Posts: 19Registered Users
    I talked to the lady who worked in the department and she said that it's for the whole line. She also said that she gets alot of returns on the custard.

That made my decision pretty easy to try something else. So far so good :)
    ETA:

Nevermind. Most likely their issue is something similar to other lawsuits in the works with some companies calling their products organic when only a handful of ingredients are.

I was never confused about Kinky Curly being organic and really this was never a selling point for me anyway. I use whatever works.

My whole issue is don't lie or mislead with your labeling. Not cool! It makes you wonder what is not listed!
    Some people are allergic to ingredients, others like myself who have cancer in the family, don't want to use chemicals. I like to know what I put in and on me. Not cool at all. I don't trust any brand who misleads.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I totally agree with you, Natural411! Although I will probably never buy a Kinky Curly product, it would be nice if they listed everything on the ingredients list. If it's an issue with them saying it's organic and it's not, then that would make me wonder what else they are saying or claiming (or NOT saying) that's untrue. It kinda stinks. Sure, it's just going on your hair, but it's nice to know what you're putting on it. I'd probably still buy it if I loved it, but it's kinda expensive to not be an organic product (although there is just natural stuff out there that's expensive, too).
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • KeranKeran Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the info. I saw the product at Target along with others but hadn't decided to buy it.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In regards to Kinky Curly, it is the Spiral Spritz that is part of the lawsuit in which they state it is misleading to say it is "organic". It does not pertain to the whole product line.
    http://bglhonline.com/2011/06/cosmetics-companies-sued-for-mislabeling-organic-products/

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Natural411 wrote: »
    I talked to the lady who worked in the department and she said that it's for the whole line. She also said that she gets alot of returns on the custard.

That made my decision pretty easy to try something else. So far so good :)

KCCC has a pretty big learning curve, so that's more likely the reason people return the product. It took me 3 weeks of trying different things to get it to work consistently and great for me. Another problem I've heard people have with KCCC is the smell. Some people just cannot handle the strength of the smell.

Like juanab says, only the Spiral Spritz has been named as not having 70% organic products. My guess would be it has to have some different preservative because of the makeup of the product to get it to come out the sprayer. And possibly some other product to alter the consistency to make the sprayability possible.

• JoliePoetiqueJoliePoetique Posts: 178Registered Users
    Cheetara wrote: »
    Personally this wouldn't stop me from buying their products. I don't really care if something is organic and if I did, I would only care if it was food. If it's just something going on my hair I couldn't care less if it's organic or not.

+1 - this won't dissuade me from buying KC. My main issue is whether it works. The only concern for me is whether it is mostly natural and if there are other hidden bad ingredients.
    3c/4a, low porosity
    Detangler: Whole leaf AVJ
    Shampoo: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse Out Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish Spa or V05 MM
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT, Elucence MB
    Deep Conditioner: Add honey and olive oil to any conditioner
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root or Amla Heavy Oil
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Eco Custard (eco styler gel + olive oil), Jane Carter Curl Cream :thumright:
    Oils: Olive, jojoba, coconut
    Butters: NONE! :sign6::puker:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll still buy it. CEH had made frivolous lawsuits before. My KC products don't list all ingredients as organic, nor do they have that green organic label on them. All the claim is 'organic hair care' on their website. That could even stay, seeing that there are over 10 definitions of the word organic.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    It will be interesting to see what their new labels say or if the products work differently once they are re-formulated to meet standards. So far, signs are still up at Whole Foods.
  • Marvel7Marvel7 Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is the notice provided by Kinky Curly on Amazon. WARNING: This product contains progesterone, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Consult with your physician before using this product.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file